JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looks like Springfield just announced 6 new pistols for it's TRP lineup. At an MSRP of $2k each, they're competing directly with Dan Wesson... I'm pretty excited to get my hands on one if I can find a shop that will stock them... especially the aluminum frame carry models which supposedly have a ramped barrel, solving the major downside to many other alloy framed 1911s.

Springfield seems to be claiming they're hand fit, though I'm skeptical they actually are. The previous models of TRP were "select fit" which isn't hand fit but it's also not just grabbing a part from the bin and calling it a day. My current TRP has a good, snug fit but not a tight fit. Did need about a 100 round break in.

Last Edited:
Looks like Springfield just announced 6 new pistols for it's TRP lineup. At an MSRP of $2k each, they're competing directly with Dan Wesson... I'm pretty excited to get my hands on one if I can find a shop that will stock them...
How did the TRP line compare to the DW? I was pretty impressed with mine before I sold it.

How did the TRP line compare to the DW? I was pretty impressed with mine before I sold it.
They seem to be offering similar products, though DW offers a wider variety. Springfield has ambi safeties on all the TRP models which is great for lefties like me, DW only offers a few models with 'em.

I don't own a DW yet, but I've handled a few. I think the TRP line can go toe to toe on a fit/finish and features standpoint.

These are really great-looking 1911s. I will buy one.

Finally, SA takes the freakin' billboard off the slides and the stupid "TACTICAL" off the frames.

Even so, I love my TRP...
trp.jpg

Finally, SA takes the freakin' billboard off the slides and the stupid "TACTICAL" off the frames.

View attachment 1804807
I agree the TACTICAL crap on my frame is my least favorite part. I see you chose to swap out to the G10 grips on yours. I had to keep the cocobolo on mine, just looked sooo good

I don't own a DW yet, but I've handled a few. I think the TRP line can go toe to toe on a fit/finish and features standpoint.
Since you already own a TRP why not get a DW to round out your collection?
FWIW my DW has a better fit than my Loaded.

Since you already own a TRP why not get a DW to round out your collection?
FWIW my DW has a better fit than my Loaded.
Been thinking about it. The models with ambi safeties are harder to come by and their alloy framed models don't have a ramped barrel. I'll probably get one at some point. In fact, they WERE about #2 on my list of 1911s to buy... #1 is a full custom but dang it I can't decide on a maker

Also, a loaded and a TRP are on different levels. A loaded is just a garrison with an ambi safety.

From the site:
"Each pistol begins with a forged frame and slide for strength and durability. For enhanced precision, each pair is hand-selected for slide-to-frame fit and numbered to marry them with their matching components throughout the build process."

Been thinking about it. The models with ambi safeties are harder to come by and their alloy framed models don't have a ramped barrel. I'll probably get one at some point. In fact, they WERE about #2 on my list of 1911s to buy... #1 is a full custom but dang it I can't decide on a maker

Also, a loaded and a TRP are on different levels. A loaded is just a garrison with an ambi safety.
Then Id get a TRP or full custom. IMO I havent seen any difference with my ramped barrels they all feed the same reliably. If you go full custom check out Alchemy Custom Weaponry.

Then Id get a TRP or full custom. IMO I havent seen any difference with my ramped barrels they all feed the same reliably. If you go full custom check out Alchemy Custom Weaponry.
Ramped barrels are good for alloy frames because the typical 1911 has a feed ramp integral to the frame itself. If you have an alloy frame, that would mean your feed ramp is also aluminum and they can get chewed up pretty quick. Using a ramped barrel on an alloy frame solves that problem. It's a non issue for steel framed .45 1911s

Alchemy looks good, but not quite what I'm looking for. I'll know it when I find it.

From the site:
The TRP™ offers fully featured platforms specifically designed and built for demanding 1911 enthusiasts. Drawing inspiration from the Springfield Armory® Professional 1911, TRP pistols undergo meticulous hand fitting for both form and function. Whether you seek classic simplicity, light-bearing versatility, or, for the first time within the TRP family, a 4.25-inch model with Carry Contour, each Tactical Response Pistol is built to the same exacting standards with a keen focus on premium quality and reliability

Also from their website. It specifically says hand fit. I'm skeptical.

The TRP™ offers fully featured platforms specifically designed and built for demanding 1911 enthusiasts. Drawing inspiration from the Springfield Armory® Professional 1911, TRP pistols undergo meticulous hand fitting for both form and function. Whether you seek classic simplicity, light-bearing versatility, or, for the first time within the TRP family, a 4.25-inch model with Carry Contour, each Tactical Response Pistol is built to the same exacting standards with a keen focus on premium quality and reliability

Hand-fit seems to mean that hands selected parts which fit closely. I do not think that any actual hand-work is done on them - not at $175/hour in the US.

The TRP has MIM, DW does not. The previous version of the DW Valor doesn't have an ambi safety. They brought it back with one, and I'm not a fan.

The TRP has MIM, DW does not. The previous version of the DW Valor doesn't have an ambi safety. They brought it back with one, and I'm not a fan.
Yes, I'm aware of the MIM controversy. Can't say it ever bothered me that much. But again, at the price point they're directly competing. I think the TRP is very good and can hold it's own

I need an ambi safety, I'm wrong handed.

Yes, I'm aware of the MIM controversy. Can't say it ever bothered me that much. But again, at the price point they're directly competing. I think the TRP is very good and can hold it's own

I need an ambi safety, I'm wrong handed.
The Valor is what you seek.

Looks like Springfield just announced 6 new pistols for it's TRP lineup. At an MSRP of $2k each, they're competing directly with Dan Wesson... I'm pretty excited to get my hands on one if I can find a shop that will stock them... especially the aluminum frame carry models which supposedly have a ramped barrel, solving the major downside to many other alloy framed 1911s.

Springfield seems to be claiming they're hand fit, though I'm skeptical they actually are. The previous models of TRP were "select fit" which isn't hand fit but it's also not just grabbing a part from the bin and calling it a day. My current TRP has a good, snug fit but not a tight fit. Did need about a 100 round break in.

View attachment 1804807
Here's mine

IMG_7338.jpeg.jpg