JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm currently without a 1911. I want to add a full-size model back into the collection somewhere down the road. I've owned a Ruger SR1911 CMD and was really impressed with the quality of the gun for the price point, but I would have preferred a full length barrel. I've also owned a lower price, but really nice quality Turkish import.

I don't really want to put $1,000+ into a 1911. I'm probably looking more in the $600-$900 price point maximum.

I'm curious, considering that price range, what do you think is the best bang for the buck for a production 1911?

I'm considering going back to the Ruger again. It had a great finish, nice trigger, good balance, just an overall nice gun. But I'm also looking at the S&W SW1911 E-Series. I have to say it's just a darn nice looking gun - I love the slide serrations and from what I hear, the fit and finish are great, as is the factory trigger.

While sharing reviews you've read or stuff you've heard is fine, I'd really like to hear opinions from folks that have owned and shot the models they would recommend. Please try to keep in the price point I've noted.

Now, what say you, fine members of NWFA?? :p

Ruger SR1911:

Loves-Me-Like-a-Rock-II-Ruger-SR1911.jpg

S&W SW1911 E-Series:

sw-19110.jpg

I saw a Colt Gold Cup series 70 in good condition for sale at The Gun Broker in Clackamas a couple weeks ago. He wanted $900 for it. It might still be there, if not quality 1911s are not that hard to find if you don't mind a little wear.

I saw a Colt Gold Cup series 70 in good condition for sale at The Gun Broker in Clackamas a couple weeks ago. He wanted $900 for it. It might still be there, if not quality 1911s are not that hard to find if you don't mind a little wear.

I'm not ready to buy just yet, and I'd probably prefer to buy new, unless it's something really nice that I just can't pass on.

I should mention that I'm not, at this time, interested in a blued 1911, which is why the Ruger and S&W catch my eye, I'd really prefer stainless. That said, I understand eventually the CMP will have a bunch of old 1911's to release to the public - and I'm hoping to grab one of those when they come available.

I've had a Rock Island and liked it with no issues, or any of the Remington/Springfield Mil-spec levels I'm sure are fine, I shoot a Sig 1911 Nightmare which not much more than your price range and love it.

I've had a Rock Island and liked it with no issues, or any of the Remington/Springfield Mil-spec levels I'm sure are fine, I shoot a Sig 1911 Nightmare which not much more than your price range and love it.

I forgot about the Remingtons. I hear the R1 Enhanced is a nice model too - I may have to take a closer look at those too.

I like it in stainless:

1911-Stainless-lg.jpg

Love the Rugers, the R1, and the Range Officer! A good quality Colt or Kimber in the used category will definitely serve you very well! Plenty of other options, but those IMO sort of fall off the quality vs price part. A good Rock Island would be hard to beat, and the quality seams to be getting better every day! I guess it depends on how YOU feel about anesthetics, features, quality, ect...... I would also consider what you plan to do with it, Range toy, CC, safe queen.........

I would +2 on the rock islands, +3 on their tactical model. They are a real gem, well made, easy to customize, low in price. they come with a few teething issues but nothing you can't clean up with a little bit of polishing compound and an evening in front of the TV. (just rub some jeweler's rouge on the slide rails, and sit there racking it while watching TV, it smooths up really quick.

Take a dremel tool with a cloth wheel, and do the same thing on the feed ramp, you're done.

I've done a number of these guns for friends, seemed like everyone bought one when they were $400, it's a really capable series 70 gun. Only thing I don't like about the tactical model is the safety is ambi...

Love the Rugers, the R1, and the Range Officer! A good quality Colt or Kimber in the used category will definitely serve you very well! Plenty of other options, but those IMO sort of fall off the quality vs price part. A good Rock Island would be hard to beat, and the quality seams to be getting better every day! I guess it depends on how YOU feel about anesthetics, features, quality, ect...... I would also consider what you plan to do with it, Range toy, CC, safe queen.........

I likely won't carry it, but if I do, it will be open carry (if I ever decide to do that) - you don't hide a nice 1911 under a shirt! ;)

For me, it will be a range/fun/target gun, and may serve duty as my bedside gun as well. I would consider a Kimber, but I don't know if I could find one in my price range. The Rock Island models are actually pretty decent on the lower end, as is the Taurus, but I want to move into a nicer finish, and stay under $900 if possible.

I'll have to see if Kimbers are available in good condition in that price range.

I just did a quick and dirty search online and found there are many good used Kimbers and Colts for right around the top of your range! I have both and can honestly say, both are about the best "standard" 1911 money can buy. Top shelf for fit and finish, and reliability and function. Just as originally intended! In my mind, the best of all 1911's is the factory Colt SXE in blue/black! I have two of them and they just work! No fuss, no problems, and they just look and feel right. The Kimbers are just about the same!

I forgot about the Remingtons. I hear the R1 Enhanced is a nice model too - I may have to take a closer look at those too.

I like it in stainless:

View attachment 310211
I had it narrowed down to the Ruger or the Remington. The best deal popped up first for the Remington R1S Enhanced. I love it. The fit and finish are top notch. The feel is absolutely wonderful. The action is smooth as butter. Everything just feels solid and balanced. I'm shooting 2" groups at 7 yards due to the exceptionally nice trigger. I'm very happy.

I did change out the aggressively checkered stock grips for some nicer looking and smoother rosewood grips.
GunInv2016-1911-1.jpg

I wanted a R1 Enhanced, someone was telling me the triggers aren't that great, but you can fix that.

Since you have to have a BCG anyway look online. Budsgunshop.com has some of the best deals on the web.
Or the kygunco.com.

I went through the same search recently trying to stay at $700 or so and narrowed down the top candidates to buying & upgrading/modding a Springfield Mil-Spec, Ruger SR1911, Springfield RO & the Remingon R1 Enhanced (in order of price, lowest to highest, available local to me at the time).

In the end, the SR1911 had the features I wanted at a good price. 100% made in the USA & I know Ruger CS is very good. It's a cast frame but Ruger has been casting 1911 frames for other companies long enough that it's not an issue to me. I think I have about 200-250 totally hiccup free rounds through it so far & I really enjoy shooting it.

The Springers have imported forged frames and a great reputation for CS. The mil-spec would be a project gun since it wasn't exactly what I wanted out of the box so I passed. I liked the RO's trigger was a little better than the SR1911 but really didn't like the sights. Yeah, they can be changed but the LPA cut limits your options. Remington was nice & a good chunk of change more than the Ruger however my LGS' feedback was it's a good pistol but Remington has been somewhat unpredictable. I've shot the Springfields in the past but not the R1, just fondled a few in the shop.

I wanted a R1 Enhanced, someone was telling me the triggers aren't that great, but you can fix that.

Since you have to have a BCG anyway look online. Budsgunshop.com has some of the best deals on the web.
Or the kygunco.com.

I've bought a number of guns from Bud's - some of the best prices online.

I went through the same search recently trying to stay at $700 or so and narrowed down the top candidates to buying & upgrading/modding a Springfield Mil-Spec, Ruger SR1911, Springfield RO & the Remingon R1 Enhanced (in order of price, lowest to highest, available local to me at the time).

In the end, the SR1911 had the features I wanted at a good price. 100% made in the USA & I know Ruger CS is very good. It's a cast frame but Ruger has been casting 1911 frames for other companies long enough that it's not an issue to me. I think I have about 200-250 totally hiccup free rounds through it so far & I really enjoy shooting it.

The Springers have imported forged frames and a great reputation for CS. The mil-spec would be a project gun since it wasn't exactly what I wanted out of the box so I passed. I liked the RO's trigger was a little better than the SR1911 but really didn't like the sights. Yeah, they can be changed but the LPA cut limits your options. Remington was nice & a good chunk of change more than the Ruger however my LGS' feedback was it's a good pistol but Remington has been somewhat unpredictable. I've shot the Springfields in the past but not the R1, just fondled a few in the shop.

I had the SR1911 CMD for a while that I picked up as a part trade. I have to say I was impressed with the quality of the gun, but really wanted a full length barrel, so I passed it on to someone else. The Ruger is definitely near the top of the list right now and certainly a worthy investment. I've heard mixed reviews about the Springfield, but I may have to look it over again.

I would go with the Ruger in a heartbeat! They are an awesome pistol as a base model. I do like the Springfields but only after a little trigger work..Well the Ruger could use that also, but the ones i've played with seemed ok out of the box. But overall fit and finish I would lean towards the Ruger.

I would go with the Ruger in a heartbeat! They are an awesome pistol as a base model. I do like the Springfields but only after a little trigger work..Well the Ruger could use that also, but the ones i've played with seemed ok out of the box. But overall fit and finish I would lean towards the Ruger.

Nice to have a gunsmith's input :)

Have you had any experience with the S&W SW1911 E-Series? It is high on the list for me next to the Ruger, but I have no experience with them and don't know anyone that owns one. I was told by one gun shop owner, that had owned one, that fit and finish was excellent, like the Ruger, but said the Ruger trigger, out of the box, was better.

I had the SR1911 CMD for a while that I picked up as a part trade. I have to say I was impressed with the quality of the gun, but really wanted a full length barrel, so I passed it on to someone else. The Ruger is definitely near the top of the list right now and certainly a worthy investment. I've heard mixed reviews about the Springfield, but I may have to look it over again.

From the ones I most recently looked at, the F&F on the Springfields were good. The Ruger was just a notch better in that respect. The Springfields were parkerized where the SR is stainless, which appealed to me more. Pricewise, the Ruger right between the mil-spec and RO.

j4j4mnXW6E_wSGS4W2EEVmh1thwN86dBJP9Fgtgv2PL7I_BlBm6Hh5z2wYFPhkeM-DambF50ES8uxBUtuQ=w1324-h993-no.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top