JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know anything about the R1 Remington. But what I do have
experience with and would recommend would be a Springfield and
Smith and Wesson. I own a Kimber and love it but it is an old
one made in Oregon. I know shooters that have had problems with
there newer Kimbers.o_O I have owned several 1911's including Colts.
Gold Cup, 2 different Commanders, Combat Elite. I know this is sacrilege
but I think the Colts are over priced for the frame, slide, & barrel fit.
IMHO:confused::confused:

I'm currently without a 1911. I want to add a full-size model back into the collection somewhere down the road. I've owned a Ruger SR1911 CMD and was really impressed with the quality of the gun for the price point, but I would have preferred a full length barrel. I've also owned a lower price, but really nice quality Turkish import.

I don't really want to put $1,000+ into a 1911. I'm probably looking more in the $600-$900 price point maximum.

I'm curious, considering that price range, what do you think is the best bang for the buck for a production 1911?

I'm considering going back to the Ruger again. It had a great finish, nice trigger, good balance, just an overall nice gun. But I'm also looking at the S&W SW1911 E-Series. I have to say it's just a darn nice looking gun - I love the slide serrations and from what I hear, the fit and finish are great, as is the factory trigger.

While sharing reviews you've read or stuff you've heard is fine, I'd really like to hear opinions from folks that have owned and shot the models they would recommend. Please try to keep in the price point I've noted.

Now, what say you, fine members of NWFA?? :p

Ruger SR1911:

View attachment 310205

S&W SW1911 E-Series:

View attachment 310206
Remington is putting out a 1911 in the $800 category.

NW Armory has a great selection of 1911's. Dan Wessons are beautiful - but spendy. I'm hoping to purchase an ECO someday.

A RI is a great economical choice.

I love my Springer GI. Shame they stopped making them.
DSC04201_zps0ef278a7.jpg

Take a look at the Springfield Loaded models, especially the MC Operator. The loaded models are in your price range, but the MC is a little more if you're buying new. One of the things I like about Springfield over some other manufacturers is the lack of firing pin block, as in the Colt Series 80 and Kimber Series II. Also, I am not a fan of the external extractors such as is found on some of the Smith and Wessons, Sigs, and even some Kimbers.

I love my RIA 1911 in 9 mm

Ditto that, though my RIA is a GI standard model in .45 ACP. I've had it since January 2007 and it has been absolutely rock solid reliable. I changed the grips and the sights, but otherwise it is stock. The cost, back then, was just over three c-notes, though I don't know what they go for now. Regardless, as a basic "meat'n'potatoes" 1911, I've been happy with it.

Here is my 1911, it is my first and only one.
22646d1446846900-what-45-caliber-1911-pistol-i-should-buy-20151106_113623_med.jpg

I had a range trip planned with my son, went for a visit and wanted to try out an XDS. My son had just bought a MC Operator. It was a rental range we went to. Shot the rental XDS, then shot my son's MC Operator and absolutely loved it.

Right then and there decided, I got to have one of these so I forgot about the XDS. Put 2 guns up for sale in anticipation, started doing some research and found out about the TRP Operator and how hard they were to get. Looked around a bit and decided I did not want to pay the street price of 1500+, what it seemed most people were asking on GB or armslist.

Every time I go into the LGS, I joke around with them and there is one guy there that always says, what would you buy today, right now, if I could get it for you and for a good price....

So I said get me a TRP Operator right now, and it has to be a good deal. He got on the phone with his distributor and said, I CAN GET IT, NOW and for 1350.00, is that a good enough deal?

I about ripped the back pocket outa my pants getting to my wallet/credit card and that was that.

The photo above is that TRP just after it came home with me. Some people love the rail look, some don't. I happen to love it.

Son has the MC Operator and now I one-upped him with the TRP Operator.

Some day it is going back to the SA custom shop for a full satin hard chrome treatment. It now has a hogue form fitting style rubber grip, not super pretty but I really like the look and the feel in my hand. Gun makes me look good at the range if I do my part.

If I ever did get hold of a [huge] pile of cash and could own about any gun I wanted, as good as this TRP shoots, I would maybe want a Colt Delta Elite 10mm and a double stack RIA 2011 in 9mm.

The Delta Elite probably will never happen but the RIA Tactical 2011 9mm with full rail ... I'm liking that idea.

Robert

E-Series are fairly nice, though a bit punchy being alloy frame vs a steel frame. Rock Islands are excellent and probably the most cost effective. Springfield makes quite a few that would probably fit your price range; although I think $600 to $900 is pretty huge range, I'd be more like $550 to $750 and then $750 to $1000. I really think you are looking at quite different guns in your original price range. My first was a Rock Island, about $550.
RIA1911A1.112611.jpg

E-Series are fairly nice, though a bit punchy being alloy frame vs a steel frame. Rock Islands are excellent and probably the most cost effective. Springfield makes quite a few that would probably fit your price range; although I think $600 to $900 is pretty huge range, I'd be more like $550 to $750 and then $750 to $1000. I really think you are looking at quite different guns in your original price range. My first was a Rock Island, about $550.
View attachment 311273

I'm most interested in what is good and reliable in that price range, even if it's a bit wide. I've had a number of options presented in this thread so far that I wasn't even thinking of when I posted the OP. And while it's not currently on my list, reading what folks have to say about the RIA guns has made me give them a second look. Maybe for a 2nd 1911 down the road if cash is tight, etc., but they look to be good guns. I also saw an interview online with the CEO of RIA, I have to say I was pleasantly impressed with their overall model and goals with their line of guns.

Hard to go wrong with a Colt, they might not live up to their reputation, but it's a mighty tall reputation.
I have a early Ruger and you can't have it.
Sending my Para back for the third time, they really improved it the second time, maybe just a little more tweaking??

I bought a NIB Colt competition for $839 when they first came out. Corvallis guns has them now for $769 IIRC. Pretty nice rig, but nothing fancy.

Well, got a chance impulse buy today on a 1911 that was just being wiped down to put into the case - was in to sell a gun and ended up buying a gun too. Not enough time to detail for now, so, stand by....I think I got a good deal...I hope

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top