JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will admit to not shooting a 22 for a long while, I have five 22 Magnums .... four handguns and a Henry lever rifle, ten 22 LR, ... five hand guns and five rifles and am still conserving ammunition! Even bought another 325 of LR and 200 of Mag today. When the weather clears maybe.... Call me Pansyz3

I was sitting on a little over 5K rounds when this last panic was just starting. Laid in a few K more. Then all hell hit and it was gone. We kept enjoying shooting like always. Started actively buying it at normal price when it hit to keep the stuff stocked. I had for years warned many about this who ignored me. Then when it hit you get all the conspiracy and ammo makers are doing this to screw us crowd. It was pretty much waste of time trying to convince them this was not what happened. Now that it's over I fully expect few will remember. <shrug>. Primers, powder, bullets, and rimfire ammo. Stored well will outlive you I would tell people. Falls on deaf ears all too often.
Heh, I did the same thing. During the shortage it was fun to hear a friend at the range go "You've got .22? Where did you find that?" and toss them a box of 50. And then rip off a rapid fire string of 10 or 20 rounds at spinners. Other people at the range would look at us like we were nuts.

Since I'm only a fun shooter - not even a serious squint-n-squeeze trussed-up target shooter - my limit is set by the Firearms Licensing Department of my county police force. Since I COULD buy it any time, my limit is 1000 rounds of .22RF.

In order to buy your ammunition you have to produce your firearms certificate to the dealer, who checks the amount you are buying. It's up to you to ensure that you DON'T actually possess more than your allowance, otherwise the SWHTF big-time.

I've NEVER been subjected to an unannounced check of my guns and ammunition, but I do know of people who have, in spite of it being in direct contravention of a number of statutes. The police have to have VERY good reason to carry out such a check without declaring their intention to do so in advance.

Needless to say, like most everything here in UK to do with guns and shooting, the possession of too many rounds of ANY ammunition is treated rather like somebody blowing up Buckingham Palace, and it CAN earn you a five-year stretch...whoopee

tac
Totally logical. Think of all of the lives that would be saved if no mass shooter had more that 1000 rounds with them during their rampage. :rolleyes:

I will admit to not shooting a 22 for a long while, I have five 22 Magnums .... four handguns and a Henry lever rifle, ten 22 LR, ... five hand guns and five rifles and am still conserving ammunition! Even bought another 325 of LR and 200 of Mag today. When the weather clears maybe.... Call me Pansyz3

I say your a smart man;)

Maybe. It was next to the S&W pistols.

It's small And made a nice contrast with the S&W's

I didn't know they were making these again! My wife gave me one a long time ago to use backpacking. They were wonderful pistols, single action hair trigger, very lightweight, collectible. I passed mine on to my stepson. This pic is a good example:

ruger-bearcat-ron-roberts.jpg

The New Bearcat is very close to the original (although I think the printing on the cylinder is a bit gaudy:Ruger® New Bearcat® * Single-Action Revolver Models

I went through around 200 rounds a few days back. The Federal target 325 round box. Seems like good ammo, both the Buckmark hunter and AR w a Nordic Components upper in 22 fed and shot great. These are nice for practice shooting. I have noticed the longer I shoot the more my accuracy drops off when standing unsupported. And building those muscles as well as muscle memory are important. And what a fun cheap way to do it.

I shot these around 10-15 yards. The first one was with the Buckmark. The first shot I took and best group of the day.
IMG_20170228_093853.jpg IMG_20170228_093920.jpg
These were for fun and fast firing.

I didn't know they were making these again!

The New Bearcat is very close to the original (although I think the printing on the cylinder is a bit gaudy:Ruger® New Bearcat® * Single-Action Revolver Models

How time gets away from us. They've been making the new-Bearcat since 1993.:D

And the rollmarked engraving on the cylinder? I don't think it's ever changed. The engraving is very shallow, so it's easily removed if a person really doesn't like it. For me, it's always been there, and it belongs.

The Bearcat is a handy little kit-gun. Problem for me has always been, with the fixed-sights, few of the sights were regulated to me. So it was always a hold left or hold right to hit what I wanted. The one I own now is right on the money for me. A pleasurable little shooter, and I don't ever expect to be without one.

WAYNO.

And the rollmarked engraving on the cylinder? I don't think it's ever changed.
WAYNO.

Oh well. 1993 huh? Sheesh.

Engraving? You mean the Bear, and the Cougar? Yep, always been there, wouldn't be a Bearcat without. What I was writing about is the PRINTING of the name RUGER and BEARCAT on the cylinder. Mine did not have that. I don't like it. Just me. No biggie.

top.jpg

WAYNO.

WAYNO. Buddy! not new-Bearcat......................... "New Bearcat" model, specifically. Introduced in 2002:

Virtually no long lasting product line is free of revisions, overhauls and redesigns. The Bearcat is no exception with a history that spans three generations. From its 1958 introduction through 1970, the Bearcat sported an aluminum frame and cylinder. In 1971, the model became the Super Bearcat when the frame material was changed to precision cast steel. However, even with this improvement, production was discontinued in 1973 with the last units leaving the factory in 1974. The Bearcat was reintroduced in 1993 in a form similar to the Super Bearcat with a short lived .22 WMR convertible cylinder option, an option that caused the gun's cylinder and frame to be lengthened to accommodate the longer round. The gun was plagued with reliability and timing problems to the extent it was withdrawn from production. In 2002 a refined and revised designed New Bearcat was introduced as a .22 LR only gun that is currently in production. All models prior to the 2002 New Model Bearcat have an anodized aluminum trigger guard, including a brass anodized version. As verified by Ruger literature and a handy magnet, current Bearcats have steel frames, cylinders and trigger guards as pictured above. (revised for clarity 5/9/210 - Ed.)

Last Edited:
WAYNO. Buddy! not new-Bearcat......................... "New Bearcat" model, specifically. Introduced in 2002:

Virtually no long lasting product line is free of revisions, overhauls and redesigns. The Bearcat is no exception with a history that spans three generations. From its 1958 introduction through 1970, the Bearcat sported an aluminum frame and cylinder. In 1971, the model became the Super Bearcat when the frame material was changed to precision cast steel. However, even with this improvement, production was discontinued in 1973 with the last units leaving the factory in 1974. The Bearcat was reintroduced in 1993 in a form similar to the Super Bearcat with a short lived .22 WMR convertible cylinder option, an option that caused the gun's cylinder and frame to be lengthened to accommodate the longer round. The gun was plagued with reliability and timing problems to the extent it was withdrawn from production. In 2002 a refined and revised designed New Bearcat was introduced as a .22 LR only gun that is currently in production. All models prior to the 2002 New Model Bearcat have an anodized aluminum trigger guard, including a brass anodized version. As verified by Ruger literature and a handy magnet, current Bearcats have steel frames, cylinders and trigger guards as pictured above. (revised for clarity 5/9/210 - Ed.)
Where did this come from? it is contrary to both Ruger records, and R.E.N.E. records. Yes, the convertible Bearcat was discontinued, but the LR version remained in production from 1993 til now. And all Bearcats produced with a transfer bar are known as new Bearcats, from 1993 to date.

I will never profess to know everything, or to say I'm always right, but I've never known of, or ever read, where the New Bearcats were discontinued from 1993 to 2002.

57c507b9-f3a2-42be-882c-fbe7f3f9c5da_zpsywrtinu7.jpg
60bea829-36a3-45f6-9634-23f522ab0db1_zps7m1aoedw.jpg

When it comes to Ruger, we've learned to never say always and never say never, because as soon as we do, someone will prove us wrong. In fact, if a feller were to say all Bearcat cylinders are unfluted, or all cylinders are roll marked, just that fast, Ruger would produce a small run of Bearcats with a fluted cylinder and no roll markling, which they recently did.:cool:

Here's a variation that i just learned of today.:confused:
719007419_zpsj9qi9uc3.jpg

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
Wow, you really know your Bearcats WAYNO! :s0166:

Nope. As soon as i said I knew Bearcats, or any other Ruger product, somebody would come up with an exception to prove me wrong.:) Really.

There's a huge community of Ruger collectors in this country. We share information back and forth, and a bunch of folks have compiled the information. Ruger was always very tight lipped about production numbers and manufacturing changes. With the compiled information, there are numerous publications describing how many (we think we know) of models, production numbers, years made, factory changes and variations, etc., of every Ruger product imaginable. Then when a chapter is complete, somebody shows a serial number of a gun that was outside the known serial number range of that particular model. An example...I have owned for years, a 4" Ruger Stainless Security Six, what we call the low-back, before the grip frame changed to what we call the high-back. We pretty much knew when they were made, but we also knew there was a huge serial number overlap during the period the "Sixes" changed their grip frame. There are serial numbers much lower than mine with the latter grip frame. Anyway, mine was always considered the highest known serial number of this model, indicating it was the last of this model off the assembly line. Then just this year, another collector found a revolver identical to mine, with a serial number two-hundred higher! So the point I'm making, is the only thing a collector can say he "knows" for sure, is he has gun X with serial number XX.

Bearcats are a collectors dream, or collectors nightmare, depending on how you look at them. Brass anodized trigger guards, black trigger guards, aluminum frames, steel frames, 4" barrels, 4.2" barrels, adjustable sight, fixed sight, factory imperfections, duplicate, factory second, or used serial numbers, small letters, large letters, wood grips, particle-board grips, plastic grips, serial numbers without prefix, serial number with a number prefix and the serial numbers with a letter prefix. Very few folks have all the variations, and all that think they do could be blown out of the water tomorrow when somebody finds another rare variation.

This is what makes Ruger's such an endeavor to collect.:eek:

WAYNO.

WAYNO, you've peaked my curiosity... I think I'm going to call up my stepson and get the serial # of the Bearcat so I can learn more about it. When my wife gave it to me, all I knew was that the dealer told her it was collectible. I don't even know what she paid for it. Never been much into collecting but it would be nice to know when it was made. It's also nice to still have it in the family.

BB

WAYNO, you've peaked my curiosity... I think I'm going to call up my stepson and get the serial # of the Bearcat so I can learn more about it. When my wife gave it to me, all I knew was that the dealer told her it was collectible. I don't even know what she paid for it. Never been much into collecting but it would be nice to know when it was made. It's also nice to still have it in the family.

BB

It is satisfying to know the history of your guns. Then next, you'll start noticing Bearcats in gun shops, and watching for different variations. But don't buy any more, cause like with Lays potato Chips, you wont be able to stop.

Lookee here. Scroll down and you'll see a couple different Bearcat displays.

RugerForum.com • View topic - Pictures from the Puyallup RCA/WAC Ruger show

It is satisfying to know the history of your guns. Then next, you'll start noticing Bearcats in gun shops, and watching for different variations. But don't buy any more, cause like with Lays potato Chips, you wont be able to stop.

Lookee here. Scroll down and you'll see a couple different Bearcat displays.

RugerForum.com • View topic - Pictures from the Puyallup RCA/WAC Ruger show

I had no idea this kind of thing was going on. RUGERMANIA, WOW!!!!

I miss my heavy barrel Ruger #1 in .22-250, fabulous shooter! Lots of dead chucks, one shot at a time. I had an M77 in 7mm Rem Mag, and still have a stainless m77 in .308. And a SR9c. Can't go wrong with Ruger.

Always wanted a Red Label 12ga. Had to settle for SKB (3 of them). And a .22lr semi-auto pistol. But no I'm gun poor so not buying any more firearms. I have to stay out of shops because firearms are like puppies, they always want to go home with me and are pretty hard to resist. :rolleyes::D

Bi Mart is $18 per 325 rounds. It's 5.5 cents per round if my brains working. I believe they have had the Federal 500 rounds for $20 or 4 cents a round. It's coming back. :)

The irony here, I'm seeing .22 rimfire ammo most places, EXCEPT my local Bi-Mart in Oregon City. I look every time I'm there, but I haven't seen any in weeks, if not months. And they were one of the places during the shortage that had ammo in stock when most places did not.

WAYNO.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top