JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've got a box of Rem. GB shorts, they are pretty quiet but are still snappy and seem to be accurate enough for pest control, I don't use them for target practice as they are too hard to come bye in my area.
A fellow sent me some Super Colibri from Aguila, and I don't trust them in a long barreled rifle, all the powder they have is the primer and it isn't consistent some are really weak and I had one stick in the barrel of my old Win. bolt action, thankfully I caught it and pushed it out before there was any damage. I'll probably never use them up, I would only use them in my revolver with a suitably short barrel.
Gabby

OMG!!! It would freeze and or snow once in a blue moon in Tucson and WATCH OUT!!! The snow birds of course were fine. The damn locals would turn the roads into a demolition derby

LOL you are so right I drove snow plow in Yavapai CTY and you can't believe what people will do with an inch or 2 on the ground.

Last Edited:
I've got a box of Rem. GB shorts, they are pretty quiet but are still snappy and seem to be accurate enough for pest control, I don't use them for target practice as they are too hard to come bye in my area.
A fellow sent me some Super Colibri from Aguila, and I don't trust them in a long barreled rifle, all the powder they have is the primer and it isn't consistent some are really weak and I had one stick in the barrel of my old Win. bolt action, thankfully I caught it and pushed it out before there was any damage. I'll probably never use them up, I would only use them in my revolver with a suitably short barrel.
Gabby
I don't trust any of that stuff Aguila makes. When .22 ammo started coming back I started adding a box of all kinds of stuff to my orders just to try. Have always just bought CCI MM. Thought I may as well try the others to see. Everything so far seems to work fine with the exception of Aguila. I bought one box of their HV. Only jams I had in new SR 22 was with that. One round got stuff in the chamber to the point I had to pry the damn thing out. I tossed what was left of that box in the trash. Stuff had a real unpleasant smell too. Some kind of strange powder they use.
The box of the CCI quiet stuff I just tossed in to see what would happen. I figured it would not cycle my autos and it of course did not. What surprised me was it did not jam. It would either not send the slide all the way back or not at all. So I ran several mags through 2 pistols. It would let me fire, rack, fire, rack 10 times. I was shooting at 35ft and just playing. It was after a while I noticed the damn stuff was making some nice cloverleaf looking clusters. So the pistols seem to love it. I would not want to use it at my house but if I have to battle with another Racoon going after my dogs it would work and most likely not make the neighbors start calling 911. I was pretty impressed with the stuff. Now just waiting till one of my suppliers gets some more in so I can lay in a couple boxes. :)

I've got a box of Aguila Super extra eley prime 40gr and I haven't had any issues so far but I've only used a few, so you can't take that to the bank yet. IIRC they gave good accuracy but wait and see what happens the next time I shoot some. I don't have endless ammo to play with so I tend to hoard what little I do have.

I've got a box of Aguila Super extra eley prime 40gr and I haven't had any issues so far but I've only used a few, so you can't take that to the bank yet. IIRC they gave good accuracy but wait and see what happens the next time I shoot some. I don't have endless ammo to play with so I tend to hoard what little I do have.
It's coming back pretty good now at several places. I have 3 shipments on the way right now. Wife went to Bass Pro at 0500 for Black Friday. Managed to snag 1950 rounds of that Fed Automatch they had on sale. She said they had 2 employees guarding the pallet of it. So every time they would start in arguing with someone she would grab more. LOL

I grabbed some at bi mart yesterday. The federal 325 rd box. I pick it up when I come across it and add it to my savings. I don't hoard 100000 rounds just enough for my own comfort. The people stripping the shelf's with inside help bothers me. How much do you really need or is it for profit. Just drives prices up. Many times I see stores w 50 RDS for around 10$. What a joke.

I've got a brick of Aguila Colibri and another of Super Colibri. The Colibri is so quiet all you hear is the gun action, but very inaccurate. The Super is better in the accuracy department and just a little louder. Both seem to require you to run a boresnake through every 10 rounds, really dirty the chambers up.

Thanks for that warning about bullets stuck in barrels, I will look for that. Maybe just use it in my Contender Carbine, where I can look every time!

I grabbed some at bi mart yesterday. The federal 325 rd box. I pick it up when I come across it and add it to my savings. I don't hoard 100000 rounds just enough for my own comfort. The people stripping the shelf's with inside help bothers me. How much do you really need or is it for profit. Just drives prices up. Many times I see stores w 50 RDS for around 10$. What a joke.

The wild scalping on this should be coming to an end for the most part. There is a lot of it in the pipeline now. During this who latest panic the ones I have felt bad for are the people who no longer can order it mail. For them who had no choice but to check the stores constantly it had to be a huge PITA.Thankfully even they should soon be able to just go to the store and buy it. I hope more people remember how this was this time around. Don't get caught off guard again.

The wild scalping on this should be coming to an end for the most part. There is a lot of it in the pipeline now. During this who latest panic the ones I have felt bad for are the people who no longer can order it mail. For them who had no choice but to check the stores constantly it had to be a huge PITA.Thankfully even they should soon be able to just go to the store and buy it. I hope more people remember how this was this time around. Don't get caught off guard again.

I have also read that rimfire ammo gets primed in its own safe area and manufacturers can produce primered ammo faster. I hope the price goes back down and the hoarders or investers loose their shorts.

I have also read that rimfire ammo gets primed in its own safe area and manufacturers can produce primered ammo faster. I hope the price goes back down and the hoarders or investers loose their shorts.

The "problem" with the .22 ammo was the big panic. The panic just kept feeding on it's self. The manufacturers started running 24 7 but they could not keep up and the stuff is cheap and easy to pile up. No doubt there is a lot of people with a garage full of the stuff. A LOT of people started in with the conspiracy stuff. The problem with manufacturing something like this is you can't just build another plant or double the size of your plant. To do this is a HUGE investment. It takes a LONG time to amortize this and make it start to profit. The companies knew if they did double the output they would fill the pipe line, people would stop buying, and the new plant would now sit idle and the employee's hired and trained to run it would need to be laid off. So they did the best they could to keep the stuff coming. I did hear Federal did finally build another plant which last I heard should be on line now or will be any day now. Just remember this when the stores have those huge displays again. Don't wait till you're out to buy more. Set aside enough to last a good while for the next panic. Stuff will not go down in price and can easily outlive you if stored right.

I agree. And 10,000 rounds takes up a small portion of a safe. Do you really need a garage full ?
I'm still shooting some of my fathers from way back. He liked CCI mini mags. It will last a long time.

I don't trust any of that stuff Aguila makes. When .22 ammo started coming back I started adding a box of all kinds of stuff to my orders just to try. Have always just bought CCI MM. Thought I may as well try the others to see. Everything so far seems to work fine with the exception of Aguila. I bought one box of their HV. Only jams I had in new SR 22 was with that. One round got stuff in the chamber to the point I had to pry the damn thing out. I tossed what was left of that box in the trash. Stuff had a real unpleasant smell too. Some kind of strange powder they use.

I've used Aguila SE HV (100 rounds) and SV (>500 rounds) ammo in several different pistols, including a SR22, and a 10/22 w/ no problems other than some sticky pistol mags due to the waxy lube they use. I really like the SV ammo & it's pretty dang accurate & consistent for the price. So far it edges out CCI SV slightly for me.

That funky smell is the "Eley prime" which is the patented process & chemical compound for the primer developed by Eley, mfgs of some rather well regarded match grade ammo. Supposed to yield a very reliable and consistent primer. I don't mind the smell...it's kinda like pine cones.

I've used Aguila SE HV (100 rounds) and SV (>500 rounds) ammo in several different pistols, including a SR22, and a 10/22 w/ no problems other than some sticky pistol mags due to the waxy lube they use. I really like the SV ammo & it's pretty dang accurate & consistent for the price. So far it edges out CCI SV slightly for me.

That funky smell is the "Eley prime" which is the patented process & chemical compound for the primer developed by Eley, mfgs of some rather well regarded match grade ammo. Supposed to yield a very reliable and consistent primer. I don't mind the smell...it's kinda like pine cones.

OK I've never tried the Eley ammo since it's so pricey from the other makers. I did see one example listed here when I asked is the stuff really worth the cost. I thought that smell was the powder they were using. That case that got stuck so hard I had to pry it out was what scared me off the stuff. If I had bought a bunch of it I guess I would have kept trying. Since I had that one box of 50 I just tossed it.

I agree. And 10,000 rounds takes up a small portion of a safe. Do you really need a garage full ?
I'm still shooting some of my fathers from way back. He liked CCI mini mags. It will last a long time.

"Need" often kind of goes by the way when people start panic buying. When this first stated to happen I was seeing a TON of posts on anyplace gun talk. People telling everyone .22 ammo was vanishing. So then more and more would start watching for it at the store and buy every box they saw. Soon the stores had to start setting limits. Of course a lot of the buying was some trying to make a quick buck too. I have not been to a show in many years. I heard from a few though that a lot of .22 ammo was showing up at them. One guy I work with used to regularly hit all the Wally's around here grabbing the limit when the ammo was there. He would then sell at the next show he went too. I find it hard to believe he could have been really making any money. By the time he ran all over the county looking for the stuff though and paid to set up in the show.
Remember this same thing happened with guns. For a while you could not even buy a 10/22 unless you wanted to pay VERY high. Someone had to be buying several of the damn things that they now probably don't know what the hell to do with. No one could afford to stack the garage full of those. :confused:
After the way the election went I suspect there will be quite a few new in box guns showing up for sale. Just look at what's happened to the price on AR's. I don't think I have ever seen them this low in my life time.

"Need" often kind of goes by the way when people start panic buying. When this first stated to happen I was seeing a TON of posts on anyplace gun talk. People telling everyone .22 ammo was vanishing. So then more and more would start watching for it at the store and buy every box they saw. Soon the stores had to start setting limits. Of course a lot of the buying was some trying to make a quick buck too. I have not been to a show in many years. I heard from a few though that a lot of .22 ammo was showing up at them. One guy I work with used to regularly hit all the Wally's around here grabbing the limit when the ammo was there. He would then sell at the next show he went too. I find it hard to believe he could have been really making any money. By the time he ran all over the county looking for the stuff though and paid to set up in the show.
Remember this same thing happened with guns. For a while you could not even buy a 10/22 unless you wanted to pay VERY high. Someone had to be buying several of the damn things that they now probably don't know what the hell to do with. No one could afford to stack the garage full of those. :confused:
After the way the election went I suspect there will be quite a few new in box guns showing up for sale. Just look at what's happened to the price on AR's. I don't think I have ever seen them this low in my life time.
During the '08 panic I happened to be in a notoriously over-priced gun store buying some part that only they had while the fellow next to me was completing paperwork on a .380. He asked me a couple of questions and at some point I made the mistake of saying "good luck finding ammo for that thing" referring to target ammo. He promptly bought the store out of .380 JHP (they were already out of FMJ, but I doubt he knew the difference). A case and a half I think, and way over-priced. From the look and sound of the guy, I'm betting he still has all but a box or two of it in his closet or garage right now. :rolleyes:

Look, we all here I'm sure have owned a .22lr of some sort. My first rifle was of course a .22 I got when I was 12. And there is nothing particularly wrong with the caliber. I just don't find myself interested in shooting it much anymore. I have a Smith 15-22 and plenty of rounds to shoot it but for some reason each time I take it out I find myself shooting pretty much everything BUT it. And when I do shoot it, I put a few rounds through it and then back in the case it goes. I'm not giving up on rimfire completely as I love my 77/22 WMR and its capabilities.

Anybody else dump the .22lr? If so, did you find that you regretted it down the road or found a reason that you couldn't NOT have a .22lr in your collection?

And yeah, I know if SHTF its capable and a lot of rounds can be carried. Besides that.
I had a .22 that I took with me bowhunting as a small game gun. Now I either bring a .17 HMR or a .177 air rifle.

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top