JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Had to drive up to Tacoma yesterday with my dad.

When my parents arrived at my house, each of them and my wife all asked at Seperate times, "why are you taking a rifle with you? Don't you already have your pistol?".

My only answer was that I'm going to be 2 hours away from home and I don't want to just have a pistol if something were to happen (SHTF, earthquake, liberals declaring a dictatorship or whatever).

Am I being overly paranoid or under?

I also take a couple days of medications with me as wel as water and fire starting equipment.

What do yall do? And do you ever have to explain it?

All my working life I traveled some distance from home in building roads. How well I armed myself depended on how far away the work was. Just wanted to make sure I had the tools to get home. At 400 miles from home if it all goes bad a person could not carry the food they needed to walk home. A good rifle will feed you should you happen across something you can eat.

As long as you're doing what the voices in your head tell you to do, you're just fine ;)

I don't go quite that far myself, and I'm not probably as prepared as I should be, but being ready means different things to different people. To most folks, who rarely think beyond just going about their daily routine, anything beyond that in preparation for disaster (earthquake, flood, etc.) seems strange to them. For many of them, they'll never really get it. "Well I've never had a 9.0 earthquake and I've lived here my whole life". That's actually pretty dangerous thinking, and in all honesty, they could be considered the 'strange' ones for betting their lives that nothing bad will ever happen.

When I lived in the country, very remote, cold, lots of winter snow, spring mud, summer flooding by beaver dams, trees down, roads washed out, etc... I carried a good tool box, a couple of spare tires, spare belts, a bunch of replacement parts for the engine, a rifle, an axe, chainsaw, food, water, a parka, blankets, flares, fire starting supplies, hi jack, low jack, come a longs, cables, chains, straps, snow boots, gloves, hats, tarp, flashlights, rope, duct tape, wire.

My preparations got me home many times. Now I live in the city and I leave the chainsaw home.

tb

Not totally insane, might be less hassle/less conspicuous if you found some break down model and found a spot for it in a bug out bag/get home bag. Then everything just looks like a bag or back pack. Nobody knows nothing and they cant hassle ya

I definitely have my 10mm glock and extra mags when I go to Tacoma.
I have been know to carry a CETME and a few mags,never really cared what others thought of that though
I wouldn't be going tonight or this week,but if I had to the cetme would be pretty close

I see this as completely normal in my world. I make frequent trips to the coastal area for both pleasure and business as a pilot car. I usually take a long gun, or maybe even 2. I never take more than I can pack if I had to go to ground. I go up in the woods a lot, my wife and I and maybe a grand kid or two. You run into some
"different" people up there now and then, that I avoid contact with, and knowing I have sufficient armament to take care of the self defense needs is a very good feeling.

We have to make a trip to Southern Oregon for a family thing this week, and the wifes sister was insistent that we " ride" with them for a 4 day trip. :eek::eek:. Not only can her sister not drive worth a damn, a 350 mile trip for me involves, GHB's, ham and scanner radios, long gun, multiple handguns, fishing poles, photography gear, trauma kit and as a former fire fighter, I want certain equipment like an axe, crowbars, flares accessible to me. They take the clothes on their back, take freeways and eat at McDonalds. :oops: They feel nothing can happen to them. :eek: We will NOT be riding with them.

Anybody that may go with me clearly understands this is how I roll, it is usually my kids that would go with me, and they roll the same way going more than about 50 miles from home. Combat veterans are very seldom unprepared for just about anything. I made my living traveling the roads and a long gun in a concealed compartment was pretty standard.

I live there (here) for 16 years now, and do carry water and fire starting gear; but gun-wise usually travel light during personal time, with a Smith 638 J-frame 5-rounder.

This place isn't really that big a deal. IMO Federal Way is considerably worse.

Mmm, What ever floats your boat. A pocket knife is really enough to keep you safe and alive for anything less than a 1000 mile hike, I mean if your a real man, But if a rifle makes you feel fuzzy wuzzy then so be it. Maybe bring your little pink blankly too...

(I hope you can hear the sarcasm, I probably have 30 pounds of gear in each rig and a 20 pound bag that goes in which ever one I happen to actually take. I always just tell people "Its all unnecessary, until its not" :)

I would carry a rifle if it was a lightweight rimfire. Fortunately I have one that is one pound and takedown. I would take that or a rimfire handgun, in addition to a personal defense handgun.

A more powerful rifle - like an AK or AR?

Only if there was something going on where I would think I would conceivably need it. Otherwise, probably not.

IMO though, this is where a light takedown or bullpup shines. They are smaller and not as inconvenient as a conventional rifle.

Fir a trip like that, nothing more than my EDC. I think a rifle is a bit overkill. Although I lived in Tacoma for 7 years so maybe I should re-evaluate that. :)

For a trip out into the country, rifle yes. Mostly because a pistol is less than you need. Going into town where it's not really practical to carry rifle... probably overkill. I'm not saying don't, but my big thing is I am paranoid about leaving things in cars, unless it's really locked down (like one of those SUV-bed gun lockers).

That said, I carry two spare tires, a tool kit, extra fluids (trans, oil, PS, brake) hoses and a belt plus a gas can. It's hard to be too paranoid, but at some point you need to sacrifice protection for mobility.

Had to drive up to Tacoma yesterday with my dad.

When my parents arrived at my house, each of them and my wife all asked at Seperate times, "why are you taking a rifle with you? Don't you already have your pistol?".

My only answer was that I'm going to be 2 hours away from home and I don't want to just have a pistol if something were to happen (SHTF, earthquake, liberals declaring a dictatorship or whatever).

Am I being overly paranoid or under?

I also take a couple days of medications with me as wel as water and fire starting equipment.

What do yall do? And do you ever have to explain it?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top