JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've added a rifle to my normal travel gear for decades. Usually a Mini-14 or my old Winchester M-94, .25/35. Both short, slim rifles. As I've aged the distance from home that I want a long gun for has decreased to 50-60 miles. I have a canvas covered Kriptonite bike chain and padlock that I can run through the action and secure it to the rear seat frame. Sure, someone could eventually cut the frame and remove it but a smash and grab just ain't happening. Joe, I don't mind paranoia, seems sensible to me!;)

...I suppose if you carried those lil pills you'd also want to have in your prep a nice bottle of wine, candles for some soft candelight and your wife....would be kind of nice when the lights go out.

For myself, I very very rarely feel the need to travel with a weapon in my car, and I too often do the back and forth to the coast (yesterday, crabbing) and also get out in to the backcountry - often far off the beaten trail. However, if the grid were to go down for any reason, I'd also appreciate seeing more honest and honorable folks being extensively prepared with things up to and including a rifle instead of being caught off guard. So if you think you can stuff one in your car where some douchbag won't find and steal it, have at it.

I have a water filter, firestarter, led head lamps and flashlights, a Leatherman, a hand chainsaw, an extra nosh, a wool blanket, some misc tools/rope etc and a small fold up shovel in the car at all times which is all the space available out of sight. If they got stolen I'd be annoyed and angry (the Leatherman is the Titanium Charge model, and I wouldn't want to pay to replace it), but not like if I had a firearm lifted. I miss the space that my last car had, a CR-V, in the place where a spare tire would go, they'd left a void underneath a small fold up picnic table and I had room for a lot more things, including a sleeping bag.

You all probably know of these things. But if anyone is not familiar with the lil human powered chainsaw here's a links and some verbage. They fit into the palm of your hand and weight but a couple of ounces. I often carry one or 2 hiking depending on what I'm doing. The chainmate version I linked comes in a sweet little pocket case. They're not the end-all be-all as they're a cheap piece of gear not a $300 Stihl and they take some practice to get efficient. But I'd recommend them for everyone who steps off the beaten trail. If you drive on the dirt roads and go for a walkabout for any time frame, about anywhere in the PNW you can often have trees blocking your road for the trip out trapping you way back up there. Even a 6" diameter tree across the road can be too difficult to move by hand, certainly a 12"er would be.

If you check the 1 stars for this link, you'll see that it was typically given because people ordered a 48" er but received a 24" er, not because the product didn't work. I've never tried the 48" version, (if a tree that big falls on the road and traps me in, I'm walking out and calling my buddy who has a 48" bar chainsaw) but can attest that the 24" one will cut with alacrity. Start it slowly with the teeth towards the wood and it does the job. Bigger trees can cause binding, a guy with a real chainsaw would have wood wedges that get slammed into the cut, and having a second saw or some wedges for this might not be a bad idea. I almost got one stuck once, very memorable moment, - it was totally bound up, and if I hadn't had a second saw to come in the other side, it would have been darned inconvenient: http://www.amazon.com/Chainmate-48-...7-5211069?ie=UTF8&refRID=0DF6CG1N55S7VFRVAZCY

Image of pouch size and couple of folks working one (you can easily do smaller trees yourself): Chainmate-CM-24SSP-24-Inch-Survival-Pocket-Chain-Saw-With-Pouch-0.jpg

51F3oEvvh8L.jpg

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/survival-kit/chainmate-survival-pocket-chain-saw/

Joint Base Lewis-McCord is in Tacoma and could be the target of a military strike. Mt Rainier isn't too far off. If it erupted could have ash and toxic gases blowing straight towards you. Some scientist think there are pretty good odds a catastrophic earthquake could hit the region in the near future. Imagine being stuck in the I-5 traffic between there and Olypmia when the SHTFwith millions of people trying to go the same way. If you do decide to head south to Vancouver , possibly on foot and definately end up taking longer than normal you may end up with a fight on your hands from some of the local gang bangers. From Chehalis to Longview it is a pretty rurual stretch with abundant elk and deer, and cougars and black bear. You may have an opportunity to harvest some meet or need to protect yourself from a predator of the four legged kind. Given the area, I don't think taking a rifle with you is unreasonable.

I live on the state line and often travel 100's of miles into E. OR. It always concerns me that I might need a rifle but at the same time I want to appear as a Gray Man, not a tactical tailor. My solution is a scoped Marlin 22 Mag take down I hide in the back seat JIC I need it's capabilities.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top