JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey there guys!
I have a few questions regarding navigation.
I am looking to find some high quality *printed* and preferably laminated maps of the local areas.
I would like some maps of the springfield & eugene area with street level detail, and then larger topo or satellite maps of eugene, and western oregon from the rockies to the coast.

If anyone has recommendations on where I could acquire such maps it would be greatly appreciated!
I checked trakmaps but they wanted 40$ each and that seemed quite expensive.
Thanks!

Use caltopo.com or Open Street Map.

Zoom way in...
CalTopo is very good. So much so I decided to subscribe with them since it only cost $50 per year. I'd recommend CalTopo for anyone who wants to get the most recent satellite imagery, for example, as well as fun little things like real-time plane tracking. And since it's worldwide CalTopo has been excellent for planning trips in places like Europe and Asia. If you're willing to do some on-line sleuthing there are an amazing number of SHP files available for free which provide a huge range of useful information, whether in the states or overseas. I've always used ArcGIS extensively at work, and of course it's a fantastic program, but find QGIS just as powerful and dependable, if not more so since it has so many user created add-ons. The beauty of QGIS is that it's an absolutely free download (genuinely free, no advertising or any of that crap), so a fantastic resource to pull-up those SHP files at home. But you'll need a reasonably good computer to run any robust mapping program. If you are unfamiliar with mapping programs the learning curve can be somewhat challenging, but there are plenty of YouTube and similar learning resources for QGIS. Have also run lots of state-generated deer, elk, and bear harvesting data for GMUs through QGIS, not to mention elevation/contour/land ownership mapping when scoping out new areas (much of which is free from counties). As for hard-copy maps, I used to obtain them from walking into USGS offices, which typically carried not only their own maps, but national forest, BLM, and even some state DNR maps and similar. Quite the resource, although they are not free. Of course, everything is going digital now so they may no longer even carry hard-copy maps. Might also check some state resources such as DNR, State Parks, State Forest offices, etc., but again they may be allowing their hard-copy supplies to deplete in lieu of digital mapping resources. Good luck!

By the way, as far as laminated maps go I found an easy solution to that. Rather cheaply, in fact. I bought a machine that laminates up to 8½ X 11 sheets at Big Lots. I think it only cost around $20 or so, and they also sold packets of laminate sheets. If they even have that machine anymore it will cost a bit more, of course (mine is about 10 years old). Anyway, regardless whether I'm using an online map or creating my own in QGIS, I can use the computer's snip tool to save the specific area I'm planning to traverse including my customized hiking path, contour lines, waypoints, etc., and then print it out on a sheet of paper. Take that printout and laminate it with the machine from BigLots, and there you have it, a customized waterproof map of the area I'll be going to for hiking or hunting. Note that the laminated sheet won't fold, but that's okay because I typically wear a Filson coat in the chilly mountain foothills and they have a built-in map pocket comprising the back of the coat, so works perfectly. Your mileage may vary. If covering a lot of ground can bring more than one mapped area, and of course what gets printed/laminated can be zoomed in as close as I want. Such an easy solution to the mapping issue in case my GPS breaks down or I run out of battery. I always bring a hard-copy map/compass into the wilderness; for safety as GPS backup, sure, but also because it's so much easier and contextual to look at a full-sized map than trying to use the little 2" X 3" screen on GPS.

CalTopo is very good. So much so I decided to subscribe with them since it only cost $50 per year. I'd recommend CalTopo for anyone who wants to get the most recent satellite imagery
I subscribed too and use their phone app(free) for gps in the woods. Everything i record off grid shows up at home computer when i log in. Really good app and the best free topo maps.

As for hard-copy maps, I used to obtain them from walking into USGS offices, which typically carried not only their own maps, but national forest, BLM, and even some state DNR maps and similar. Quite the resource, although they are not free.
Years ago I used to go to the usgs store downtown to buy ranger district maps (those still are some of the best topo maps...), but now that everything is digital you can download them for free since Usgs maps are public domaine.

Try the caltopo phone app, works as good as any stand alone gps device.
That's a good point. However, cell service is typically not available where I go hiking/camping/hunting. Yeah, I'm that guy, the one who likes to go very deep into the woods to get away from it all. No signal at all. Which again underscores the value of redundancy (phone + GPS + hard-copy map).

That's a good point. However, cell service is typically not available where I go hiking/camping/hunting. Yeah, I'm that guy, the one who likes to go very deep into the woods to get away from it all. No signal at all. Which again underscores the value of redundancy (phone + GPS + hard-copy map).
You dont need cell signal with caltopo.
You use the app to download the maps you need out there.

Using GPS with your phone doesn't require a cell signal. You can easily search for a how-to with your particular phone and app. 👍

Also, you can download basic google maps to your phone in case cell towers are down. You will still need a GPS signal to navigate or at least show where you are in your area but even without GPS you will have your area street map in your phone.

Not only you.

1706841059513.png

Aloha, Mark

BLM / Forest Service office, joint office
3108 Pierce Parkway Springfield
Just off 28th and Mohawk
Has a new display of Oregon and topo maps
@ $14.00 ish each
Open 8 to 5 Monday-Friday
Avoid going Wednesday morning
it Mushroom /wood cutting permit day and very busy.
Bob

Huh...
I never get lost...everyone always tells me where to go....
Usually it is someplace hot and I'm in a handbasket...without a snowball's chance.... :eek: :D

I got my topo maps at the sporting goods store where I got my hunting license....granted that was a while ago.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top