JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm wondering if I'm missing something with this whole SHTF prepping. The scenarios I see to be ready for at least in my life time are a natural disaster but my house is still standing so hunker down in place. Next would be the natural disaster but my house is gone but with a little warning so I can grab and go in my truck. Lastly I see the Jackbooted thugs as a possibility so prevent entrance then hide and snipe would be my thing there.

I would consider the scenerio in the book One Second After, pretty darn close to a SHTF event. Law and order has to be gone and not coming back for me to consider it a SHTF fan event.

SHTF means different things to different people.

Some peoples whole world collapses from a papercut.
I guess that's kind of my point, a few years ago we had a snowmegadon event where it was around zero degrees and we lost power for a week or so. To us it was no big deal, we heat with wood and kept the freezer stuff in ice chests on the back porch. We cooked off the camp stove, BBQ and even smoked a Ham because could. We did keep a cell phone charged in case my Mom needed help. It certainly wasn't the end of the world.

I would consider the scenerio in the book One Second After, pretty darn close to a SHTF event. Law and order has to be gone and not coming back for me to consider it a SHTF fan event.
I've read that book as well, and would say it falls into my hunker down prepping, one thing that struck me is that I'm old and Diabetic so what do I do when the Insluln runs out.

I've read that book as well, and would say it falls into my hunker down prepping, one thing that struck me is that I'm old and Diabetic so what do I do when the Insluln runs out.
A lot of people are taking insulin these days so that would be a big problem. Years back there was a small pharma company working on an oral form of insulin but it never panned out as far as I know. There would be a huge market for a pill form of insulin, especially if it has a long shelf life and doesn't need refrigeration.

The next question would be how long in general do you prep for? I have enough guns and ammo to last a good long time. We have a well stocked pantry and a couple freezers full that will fed us for a few months. What happens after that?

I suggest you lay off the sugar. A lot of diabetics (like my type-2 mom & dad for instance) eat so damned much sugary and starchy (and other carb loaded) crap and just "compensate" with insulin doses….

They won't even drink plain water without loading it up with some sort of flavored drink mix. You won't see my dad eat a vegetable without it being smothered in some sort of cheese sauce, either…..

o_O:rolleyes:

The next question would be how long in general do you prep for? I have enough guns and ammo to last a good long time. We have a well stocked pantry and a couple freezers full that will fed us for a few months. What happens after that?
It's my humble opinion that it really does depend on where you are and live should any crisis develop. Folks prepare for the moment but how you prepare for long term will be about what is available to sustain your family needs. No one can answer your question because no one can see the future.

Good luck and the real preparation the real larder to sustain you is filling your mind with all it can hold that will keep you alive when the shtf.

I suggest you lay off the sugar. A lot of diabetics (like my type-2 mom & dad for instance) eat so damned much sugary and starchy (and other carb loaded) crap and just "compensate" with insulin doses….

They won't even drink plain water without loading it up with some sort of flavored drink mix. You won't see my dad eat a vegetable without it being smothered in some sort of cheese sauce, either…..

I think my cholesterol went up 10 points after reading that... Sheesh😳.

I've heard of many a carload of statin, insulin, yada prescribed folk getting stranded in their car for a good while and coming out of the ordeal 100% healthier than before.. not needing a single one of their "necessary" medications.
Matter of fact, during the great depression, life expectancy increased markedly.

I've heard of many a carload of statin, insulin, yada prescribed folk getting stranded in their car for a good while and coming out of the ordeal 100% healthier than before.. not needing a single one of their "necessary" medications.
Matter of fact, during the great depression, life expectancy increased markedly.
That's a good point. I think the wife in the one second after book had type 1 diabetes and they would probably not fair as well as somebody with type 2 diabetes.

I don't eat or drink sugar, and eat a balanced diet. I don't smoke or drink. I like and eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables. I take hour long walks with my dog every day. Basically I do everything right and still have type 2 diabetes. I do have alot of stress in my life, just try running an Ammunition business right now.

I don't eat or drink sugar, and eat a balanced diet. I don't smoke or drink. I like and eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables. I take hour long walks with my dog every day. Basically I do everything right and still have type 2 diabetes. I do have alot of stress in my life, just try running an Ammunition business right now.
We play the hand we were dealt, its the best we can do in the game. Can't bluff our way out and it's a gamble to try and change the cards. Like you I walk every day, don't smoke but have a nip of whisky now and then. What's killing me is old age but I am happy to have survived as long as permitted.

I guess what I'm seeing or rather reading is other people are prepping for some sort of urban assault, building clearing type scenario and I was wondering what's that all about and should I be looking at that as well hence the "am I missing something question".

I was joking with my Doctor one day and said it's amazing how sick I became when I got good insurance.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top