JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been doing some reading about the tumultuous civil rights moment. There was plenty of civil unrest in that era and, of course, before and afterward. Which brings up a question: are there any accounts (be it recorded in a book, news article, documentary, or other media) of private citizens or law enforcement defending themselves during a riot that you found interesting? Why so? Thanks for sharing.

Not really what you are after here, and I do look forward to some.
One time LEO's fought back that I loved was that one in IIRC MD. During the great unrest of the war in SE Asia. Radicals hold up in some building with heavy weapons. Some top Cop gave the OK to drop an improvised bomb on the place. Cop went up in a chopper and dropped a bomb made from something like several sticks of TNT. Whole roof collapsed putting an end to it all. Even back then the news did not like it and kicked a little. I thought it was pretty damn funny.

Most of the time, whether it was the Black Panthers in the 60s or the Bundy's in this era. Civilians in numbers standing ground to government usually ends peaceful, for the moment. Days, weeks or months later it ends bad.

During the recent riots, there were several televised incidents where drivers had gotten stopped by 'mostly peaceful protesters' in the roadway. A few of the drivers got out of their vehicle with a gun in hand, but as far as I know they didn't shoot anyone.

These folks come to mind:

Rooftop Koreans
2624CEE6-5894-4B79-B43D-1227A97A6BDF.jpeg

Mr. Rittenhouse
920F8F61-2B32-4CF9-9979-8EC1F6F73887.jpeg

The McCloskys
C1CFCF70-3F9A-4811-B110-576A2468250E.jpeg

As for the riots in the 1960's, I can't recall.

I've been doing some reading about the tumultuous civil rights moment. There was plenty of civil unrest in that era and, of course, before and afterward. Which brings up a question: are there any accounts (be it recorded in a book, news article, documentary, or other media) of private citizens or law enforcement defending themselves during a riot that you found interesting? Why so? Thanks for sharing.
Check out some of Massad Ayoob's videos on YouTube. He references specific examples from the past about legality of defending from a mob and how things have changed now. Can't recall the name of specific videos but shouldn't be too hard to find.

What about the Bonus Army, or the Union Riots ( Ford, Union Carbide, One of the steel plants, cant remember which, one of the big ship builders) of the 20's and 30's!
Then there was the Town who took up arms to protect the outcome of their elections from a crooked politician and police force, cant remember the name of the event, but it was a biggie!
Plenty of accounts of KKK activities in the south, and the various Natural Disasters in the south, mostly preventing looting and other thefts, but also against roving bands of thugs taking advantage of the chaos!
History is full of such accounts, far more then I could name here, let alone even remember!

Then there was the Town who took up arms to protect the outcome of their elections from a crooked politician and police force, cant remember the name of the event, but it was a biggie!
1946 Battle of Athens, TN.

A couple Massad Ayoob videos:

14 min video about how Mob used to be thought of as a group with shared intent vs now where it is individuals with violent intent hidden within a group of protesters with peaceful intent

55 min video with more detail re antifa examples, what if you are in your car, etc.

It wasn't really what I was looking for, but I came across a 1971 PBS show that is about tensions between minority communities and law enforcement. In the video, starting about here, there is a debate concerning equipping police officers with "Stoner rifles". Presumably, they mean the AR-15/M-16 pattern rifles. Anyway, I found it passingly interesting from a historical standpoint.

It wasn't really what I was looking for, but I came across a 1971 PBS show that is about tensions between minority communities and law enforcement. In the video, starting about here, there is a debate concerning equipping police officers with "Stoner rifles". Presumably, they mean the AR-15/M-16 pattern rifles. Anyway, I found it passingly interesting from a historical standpoint.
This might be more germane to the topic. Unfortunately, due to the age of the article, many of the links are dead. But it gives you a basic idea of what happened. It was a big deal in LA at the time.

Such encounters with the Black Panthers are credited with the establishment of SWAT teams in police forces around the country.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top