JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Orwell, the same town as Mt Independence is located in.
How crazy is this MountianBear?

Here I am jawing with folks from the other side of the country and I run into someone here that lived around this area at one time. You didn't happen to have a shop in Vergennes that handled black powder arms and re-en actor supplies back in the late 70's- early 80's did you? If so ,,,we know each other already. That would be even crazier!!!

Is this a small world or what? It would be even funnier if we did happen to know some of the same people or each other, now wouldn't it? It certainly wouldn't be surprising though sense it's pretty rural around here and most everyone knows each other.

Don't tell me,,,the VT tax rates and cost of living drove you away as it has so many others! I"ll bet I'm not to far off am I ? I know they sure poon me pretty good tax wise!!

This whole area is very rich in history though ,and not only just with the history associated with the forts, but the native history is strong here and goes way way back also. I literally have one projectile point that dates to around 14,000-19,000 years old, the oldest one found in this state to date. A Medow Croft point which is normally only found in PA on very few sites. How it could possibly survive the ice age and still be in tacked, is pretty amassing to me and I wasn't really sure at first that it was a Medow Croft, but it was. I found it in a low area in a plowed field along the Lemon Fair River, a pretty amassing find IMO!

Last Edited:
No, never had a shop in Vermont. It was a beautiful state, but Oregon is home. I lived in Ludlow for four years in the mid-90's, and came back to Londonderry for a bit later to reconnect with some friends in Rutland and Ludlow.
My step-father was big into military history, so we visited a good number of museums and forts between the Lake Champlain/Hudson River Valley and the Connecticut River Valley. Even biked the route of the old Crowne Point Military Road looking for markers.
Sadly, I was not into guns during my first trip, so I never spent much time exploring them around there. Mores the pity. It is an eye opening experience living out east when you've spent your life in Oregon. Walking through buildings that have been standing 100 plus years longer than Oregon has been a state. I can't wait for my son to be a little older to bring him out and show him the same cool stuff I got to see...

Springfield 1911's are well made and come in evey caliber your looking for
Colt is very popular well made and comes in many calibers
Remington also well made many calibers
Para Ordinence also nice

I have all on these and several duplicates and they are all reliable

But for a Legacy Gun i would step up and buy a ED BROWN ,WILSON COMBAT something on the high end,
Your only buying it one time and after all it's your son whats he worth Good luck in your decision and Merry Christmas

We have a few in our family. My Great Grandfather bought a model 94, brand new in 97. Thats 1897. Lots of stories about harvested deer with that one (not all exactly legal). My wife's uncle also had one from his dad that was bought new in 1906. They will get handed down to my kids and hopefully beyond that.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top