JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Most gun owners have that one piece that they cherish above all, and would sooner give up a kidney than part with. I do have one or two heirlooms that I would never sell, or trade...but none of mine are at that "Legacy level". It's time to remedy the situation.
My son and I share the opinion that a 1911 is perfect candidate. He is 18, and It will be his to pass on to his son someday, so he does get a say. The problem is... you don't just walk into a gun shop and grab the first decent thing you see. The more I research 1911s the more confusing it gets...
Im not going to spend a bunch of $ on something I can't shoot, so I want something that is as capable as it is beautiful. The kind of gun that you can enter a bowling pin shoot with on Saturday, then wipe it down and open carry to church on Sunday. Eye catching but not too gaudy. I'm leaning towards something chambered in 10mm, but I'm not ruling out .45 if the right one comes along. Since this is a brand new family tradition... modern additions like rails, threaded barrels, and "2011s" with double stack mags are not out of the question.
I plan on taking my time and gathering knowledge on the platform before I buy, and I could use some help. Anybody have suggestions as to what brands, models etc. I should be looking at? Which should I avoid? I am, of course, wanting the best bang for the buck, because while I have the boss's permission and she knows it won't be cheap... I don't have a huge budget.
Please feel free share your "Legacy Gun" as well!

I don't have anything I'm emotionally attached to or would mind trading for something else. My grandpa and dad have the guns that have memories attached to them which once I eventually inherit, I wouldn't ever sell or trade.

I don't have to worry about such a Gun. I've not got anybody to leave anything to within the Direct family line at least. I will be leaving a few things to some special people like my Bill Mauldin books are going to a good friend and Shooter who also has an interest in Books. I have a SxS .410ga. Shotgun that belonged to my Paternal Grandfather but I'm not sure where it will go. While I have two nephews neither is into Shooting. One doesn't have a chance of getting it and the other just might appreciate it enough to understand what he is getting. Some of my more distance Kin have already received the Winchester Model 94 that came from my Maternal Grandfather and he's already done well by the rifle so he's likely to find more on his doorstep some day!:) His Big Sister has a Ruger 77RSI that came from me, it is likely to be her Legacy Gun of the Future. Again more may be found on her doorstep some day!:)

I have my great uncle's Ithaca 1911 that he carried in WWII. US Govt. Issued. When I go, I am willing it to a museum as I too don't have really anyone to leave it it. My daughter isn't into firearms at all and would more than likely sell it for the cash.

I have two...
My Dad's Series '70 Colt Government Model in .45 acp...its the first gun I ever shot and one that I hope to pass on to my Grandson...
And my Grandad's Remington 870 Wingmaster , in 20 gauge...It is the first gun that was mine.
Lots of memories of shooting these guns with my Dad and Granddad....They are not to be parted with lightly.
One other gun which is approaching Legacy Status is my Hawken Rifle...I hope to make this a "Family Gun".
Andy
DSC06046.jpg
DSC06606.jpg
Hawken.jpg

I like Colt SAA guns, nothing else like them in the world. Built since 1873 and a true representation of the American gun owner. Leaving my daughter a Colt SAA in 45 with a 4.75 barrel in blue with case harden frame.

i have my grandpas US remington 03-A3 that i wouldnt take any amount of money for. i got it when he died. i was 10.

i was supposed to have my other grandpas ruger blackhawk 357. its in the will but my uncle snatched it before the "trust" could take care of business. he wont let me have whats rightfully mine.

The legacy gun is my 1873 Remington #1 rolling block rifle that came from my great grandfather, who was born in 1825.
RRBRestore-RtFullUpsm.jpg

If you're looking for a really nice-out-of-the-box 1911 as a legacy gun, then I'd suggest The Remington R1S Enhanced in stainless. I have never been happier with a gun purchase. The fit and finish are superb, and the trigger is smooth as butter and crisp. And the price won't break the bank.
GunInv2016-1911-1.jpg

I have my grandfather's Smith and Wesson Victory model .38 special. He didnt have it until after he got out of the Marine Corps after WWII, but he carried it his entire career in law enforcement. I will pass it down to one of my sons when the time comes for me to go see the rabbits.

If I were looking for a Legacy 1911A1 I think it would just have to be a Colt. Since Colt started things. A Remington wouldn't be a bad choice because they were one of the first producers too. A Smith and Wesson Registered Magnum would also be High on my list but then I've wanted one for myself for years and haven't been able to get up the scratch. It would be nice!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have nothing.
My dad never gave me squat, gramps passed away and I have no idea what happened to his rifle.
My dad had a really nice S&W 10mm I wanted since I was a small kid.
The MF'r traded it for a couple crappy pistols from his local gun shop.

Reason 1035 I resent him

Winchester model 12 in 12g and one in 20g. Purchased same day buy my great great grandpa in 1926 iirc. One for him and one for my great grandpa. Been used extensively by me, my dad, my grandpa, my great grandpa and great great grandpa. Truly a peice of my family's history.

Also have a Winchester 670 in 300 mag that was my other grandpas that was handed down to my dad and now me. Killed lots of deer and elk over the years and one I still use to this day. Such great memories.

I have two of my great grandfathers rifles, one is a Sharps 1874 in 40/90

I have a trust drawn up that protects them and guides what can be done with them (as well as the rest of my firearms)

Hmmm I only have one of my Dads firearms (thanks to having two brothers and dads second wife who decided she need a few of them) But it fits the bill as a Legacy firearm. Bought by my dad in 1968 at the Albany gun show as I stood next to him. Its a c1905 Winchester Model 1895 in 30 Gov. (or if you like 30-40 Krag) deluxe rifle with 28" barrel fancy grade Walnut with no checkering and a Lyman #21 Receiver mount peep sight. Slickest lever action ever. And the internal box magazine allows pointed bullets so it can load the same slug as a .308 or 30-06 ballistics with handloads about 50fps slower then the same bullet in a .308.

Now in my meager collection and knowing my son and daughters leanings I would say they will consider about 90% of the guns I own to be legacy when it comes time.

I have a trust drawn up that protects them and guides what can be done with them (as well as the rest of my firearms)
I personally think you would be better served by giving wherever to whomever before you go. A trust or any other document is only as good as the people around at the time. It's already been mentioned that a Gun that was supposed to go to X actually was grabbed by Y. Maybe X could take the issue to Court but then only the attorneys would win. I've seen it before but hopefully I'll never have to see it again.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews