JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
only RP's I've had are the Broadleaf which I only had one and it was great, Renaissance Maduro and Most of them are good but some tend to canoe. I'm pretty sure its not the light but maybe sometime it's the wind.

RP and Gurkha seem to have so many different cigars out that I wonder if it's a quality control issue or different factories maybe.

I find I am leaning towards brands with fewer options cuz they seem to be a better value and all around smoke then some of the bigger lines.

Also, like with Harley D, I think your sometimes paying for the name and not the product per se.
Agree with that. There are some brands that I literally have never had a bad burn on even from 20 years ago to now (did not smoke them for many years in between, don't get me wrong). I think it just comes down to quality control, but I dunno how number of blends factors in to that. It seems to me if a company has thee blends fe it would be easier to focus on quality control than if they have over 60 blends. But I'm totally guessing on that. The Davidoff long video posted above seems to show the extreme end of good quality control. Would be interesting to see a video of the other end of the spectrum! :p

Stuck at home so what to do....

Grab a Gurkha Black Ops Maduro and enjoy the sun.

*Even though this is an off shoot Gurkha, I will say it's an excellent cigar and I've yet to have a bad burn on one.

**They are strong but not peppery with a little sweetness - easy cigar to smoke and not need a lot of drinking to mellow it. The Churchill definitely has me feeling it by the end but the robustos are great and obviously don't have as much nicotine.

They are a budget stick but in my 4/5 along with some very good cigars so I highly recommend them.

37911E2B-035E-45EA-8CE1-6688D905B3AD.jpeg

Ha ha yea exactly stuck at home = opportunity to try some new cigars. Great stress reliever from virus news too.

I'm currently planning to try a few Cameroon wrappers, partagas, CAO anniversary Cameroon, RP gold Cameroon are a few on the list to try. I think oliva g series might be Cameroon also.

this cigar wrapper test would be great to try with a less expensive Cameroon wrapper cigar like maybe the RP 2003 fumas Cameroon:

Ha ha yea exactly stuck at home = opportunity to try some new cigars. Great stress reliever from virus news too.

I'm currently planning to try a few Cameroon wrappers, partagas, CAO anniversary Cameroon, RP gold Cameroon are a few on the list to try. I think oliva g series might be Cameroon also.

this cigar wrapper test would be great to try with a less expensive Cameroon wrapper cigar like maybe the RP 2003 fumas Cameroon:

Interesting...

Remember to use the same ring gauge.

A smaller one will have more of the wrapper flavor then a thicker one.

I know the CAO Black is pretty strong in the Corona size and has a very light colored wrapper.

Also the RP Renaissance Maduro in Corona is much peperier then the robusto I smoked.

Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur

Hazelnut and leather...

92 rating and a top 25 but honestly not really in my preference range.

Excellent construction, burn and appearance.

Ok first cigar but I lean towards fuller body and more strength, even right out the gate in the morning.

Been sitting in the humidor for 8 months. Got it with one of my first online sampler orders.

I wouldn't buy more but I can't say I wouldn't recommend it for someone who likes lighter cigars.

A271C53E-B843-4ADE-9CB1-E893D9707221.jpeg 4C3B3AD9-56A2-4314-A40E-AAA2F81E3797.jpeg

Working on increasing the Strategic Cigar Reserve in light of the contagion. Currently in the cart is a bundle of Rocky Patel Vintage '92 Churchill Sumatra and Java Red By Drew Estate Robusto Maduro. :D

Working on increasing the Strategic Cigar Reserve in light of the contagion. Currently in the cart is a bundle of Rocky Patel Vintage '92 Churchill Sumatra and Java Red By Drew Estate Robusto Maduro. :D
When u try the vintage 92' let us know what u think of it plz. I've been very curious how that one is relative to the vintage 1990. I wonder if cigar prices will drop as the economy worsens. Seems like luxury items would be the first impacted.?

tried an oliva serie "g" today.

summary: Bitter, sour, nasty chemical death. ...Oh pardon me, I mean I really don't care for them.

I gave this one a fair trial and tried to forget my earlier oliva experience. It was stinging, sour, a little bitter, a little sweet (see below), low aroma but stinging nasty aroma. Has tongue bite. I would describe flavors as almost the same as oliva serie "o": astringent (reminds me of witch hazel), woody, sour.

I was going to toss it in the first 3rd but thought I would see what it tastes like without the wrapper so i cut it, removed 1 inch of wrapper and re-lit. Without the wrapper was much more bitter and sour. So in other words the wrapper added a bit of sweetness. Looks like most of what I hate in this cigar seems to be in the filler and binder. I had to toss it very soon after the no-wrapper test. Like sucking on a bitter and sour lemon that burns ur nose with a nasty chemical odor. Really hate Oliva cigars.

A90F5AB4-CDD3-47BF-84E0-CC55D0E471F8.jpeg

Last Edited:
tried an oliva serie "g" today.

summary: Bitter, sour, nasty chemical death. ...Oh pardon me, I mean I really don't care for them.

I gave this one a fair trial and tried to forget my earlier oliva experience. It was stinging, sour, a little bitter, a little sweet (see below), low aroma but stinging nasty aroma. Has tongue bite. I would describe flavors as almost the same as oliva serie "o": astringent (reminds me of witch hazel), woody, sour.

I was going to toss it in the first 3rd but thought I would see what it tastes like without the wrapper so i cut it, removed 1 inch of wrapper and re-lit. Without the wrapper was much more bitter and sour. So in other words the wrapper added a bit of sweetness. Looks like most of what I hate in this cigar seems to be in the filler and binder. I had to toss it very soon after the no-wrapper test. Like sucking on a bitter and sour lemon that burns ur nose with a nasty chemical odor. Really hate Oliva cigars.

View attachment 671652

Send em my way when you get them in samplers. I've come to enjoy them:D

Theses were my notes on the one I got. Gave it a 4/5 which is well above average on my curve.

First inch Impressions:
Little smoke at rest but plenty of smooth dense smoke on the draw. Slightly sweet leather cedar with a slight zing at the end. Maybe a little white pepper. Burn is very good and ash is perfect.

First 3rd Impressions:
Leather, earthy, spice but well blended and not harsh.

2nd 3rd:
Burn and ash are excellent. Very quality stick as expected. Retro is pleasing and the spice is receding

3rd 3rd:
Fairly similar to the 1st 3rd. Maybe a little stronger as would be expected

Gotta love cigars, like alcohol - one mans trash is another mans :D

5 Vegas Cask-Strength Firkin

6x60 box pressed Corojo

Pretty dang good.;)

my first venture into the 5 Vegas line other then the series A I love.

Big cigar, tons of flavors that linger forever - very oily.

Nutty cooking spice and a ton of flavors I just can't nail down but it's a very pleasant smooth chewy smoke.

Only a couple inches into it but it's at least a 4/5 for me. Might end with a 5/5 if it keeps developing like it has. Ash is still holding at 2" and will not roll off yet.

669FB1CB-EB11-4DB6-97F0-54F3C78DA04D.jpeg

Send em my way when you get them in samplers. I've come to enjoy them:D

Theses were my notes on the one I got. Gave it a 4/5 which is well above average on my curve.

First inch Impressions:
Little smoke at rest but plenty of smooth dense smoke on the draw. Slightly sweet leather cedar with a slight zing at the end. Maybe a little white pepper. Burn is very good and ash is perfect.

First 3rd Impressions:
Leather, earthy, spice but well blended and not harsh.

2nd 3rd:
Burn and ash are excellent. Very quality stick as expected. Retro is pleasing and the spice is receding

3rd 3rd:
Fairly similar to the 1st 3rd. Maybe a little stronger as would be expected

Gotta love cigars, like alcohol - one mans trash is another mans :D
I'll save them for ya. Have only 1 serie g at the moment but I will be buying as many as I can of those 10 for $15 holts samplers when I see a cheap free shipping option. Just something about the taste of oliva that is polarizing I think. Maybe kind of how some ppl love shellfish and others can't stand.

Last Edited:
Enjoyed a Romeo y Julieta 1875 tonight. It was a very good smoke, though much on my mind, such as occupation, a bad situation one of my brothers is in, and, naturally, this pandemic. But a nice smoke did help. :)

I was going through some old cigar boxes and found one my parents used forever. Looks to be from the 1950s. Also found a macanudo one from early 90s. Said made in Jamaica and I dunno when they switched from Jamaica to Dominican Republic. What is it about cigar boxes that they seem to last forever?
DA75275D-A4DA-49F7-9E7E-8C2B36E4AF02.png
6F00497E-6246-4C90-B3D7-5B96D949D79D.png

Enjoyed a Romeo y Julieta 1875 tonight. It was a very good smoke, though much on my mind, such as occupation, a bad situation one of my brothers is in, and, naturally, this pandemic. But a nice smoke did help. :)
I was watching a review on this cigar the other day. This John Poole guy is my favorite reviewer I've found so far. The one below is for famous smoke but he also does "cigar advisor" videos where they do a 4 person panel where all 4 people smoke the same cigar. It's really cool to hear all four opinions.

Well after 9 weeks the custom drawers for my humidor arrived - dang they smell good;)

Gotta get them seasoned so I can replace the 4 shelves in there now and get my cigars all in it.

The two drawers that came with it hold 3-4 times as many cigars as the stupid shelves do.

I think I'm going to dissemble the shelves and use the cedar to make drawer dividers.

Tried a couple new to me cigars today. Will list sperately.

Vegas "A"

Summary: only couple days in humidor so need to retry later. No real negatives other than wrapper and somewhat sour taste . No real positives either, other than I like the aroma. Fine for an inexpensive cigar. Not really a fair review cuz too soon after delivery I think.

Score 5/10

Body: 3 (10 = fullest body)

Strength: 1 (10 = highest nicotine)

Bitterness: 1 1st third, 4-5 more sour than bitter but bitter too second third, N/A in last third (10 = most bitter)

Pepper: 1 (10 = most pepper, black = type, if only one score -no commas- that means same throughout)

Flavors: 0-1, (10 = best possible in quantity and quality). Wet leaves, dry, sour

Aroma: 2, (10 = highest amount and best possible type) low aroma but nice earthy

Tongue bite/harshness: 1, (10 = lots of tongue bite and/or harshness)

Smoke: normal

Firm: soft, easily cracked

Draw: good

Presence: 2 (10 = most mouth presence, beyond 5 becomes detrimental for me)

Burn: Good , fair construction wrapper cracked in two diff. places
DED11856-EEE5-449C-A25D-5F944538A772.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews