JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Been thinking about getting one with the Thompson gift cards. But these prices are about half so may get one of these sale ones. Reviews on all the xi models are stellar from what I have seen. But then again it's just a cutter so no big whup.

Honestly, I was a huge guillotine fan (and still use it for some things, it's super sharp and gives a great cut) but once I got that Colibri V-Cutter I use it for probably 95% of my cigars.

Pretty much a no brainer on depth, never have cap issues and I have come to really like the draw from it. It's $39 on Amazon but that $25 on the Xi1 is unbeatable.

D89564F8-F81A-45C1-B507-69AD9E42533D.png

Thanks for the input! I should have been more specific. I usually drink Pendelton whiskey, and I have enjoyed Romeo&Julietta and Dominican Cohibas for average use. Based on that, ideas for something special?

Thanks for the input! I should have been more specific. I usually drink Pendelton whiskey, and I have enjoyed Romeo&Julietta and Dominican Cohibas for average use. Based on that, ideas for something special?

get a 3 box set so you have 2 left for your next milestones;)

And they come in their own little individual boxes in case you want to give one as a gift.

Search for top shelf at cigars international and you'll find plenty that are all sure to be good.

0787AB1B-BE1D-481E-9F9C-8E7B2D43DFB8.png F7620990-1C9A-44D8-A9D8-2E0C1251C2C6.png

Who has a Herf a dor?

Just got a deal on one.... But didnt come with anything.

Does it just work but being air tight or is there a humidification element to it?

It has a small green foam disk in the lid, I don't use it.

I normally just put 5 well humidified cigars in it and they are good all week.

I would toss one of the 8g Bovida packs in it if you want it for longer storage.

Just my experience with the 5 stick size.

Regarding online deals, FYI shipping on that cigarbid site is roughly $6 for first unit and then roughly $1 per unit after that. So setting it up to ship once per week not once per day is cheapest route.

Also this seems to be the cheapest place to find rocky Patel seconds.

Last Edited:
Regarding good online deals, FYI I spent some time last week exploring that cigarbid site. It seems to me there are 2 ways to get good deals there.
(1) regular auction - just like eBay, bid your max u want to pay in the final 10 seconds or whatever of the auction. I hate those kind of auctions cuz you have to wait for the final seconds if u want a good deal, but you can get the best deals that way. Some I noticed were Vegas series A 5 cigars for $7.50.
(2) freefall auctions -Watch for the lowest price on the item and then bid as it gets very close to that lowest amount again (auction repeats itself about every 2 min 40 seconds). Some I noticed were Macanudo inspirado white 10 pack for $21.10 -no need to wait on these auctions which is nice

Re shipping most everything is $6 for first unit and then roughly $1 per unit after that. So setting it up to ship once per week not once per day is cheapest route.

Also this seems to be the cheapest place by quite a bit to find rocky Patel seconds. All just FYI from what I found out. I did get a chance to get some kristoffs and a few others I've been meaning to try out for quite a bit cheaper than I expected.
Hey, keep it down...

I dont like competition :D

FYI an interesting development at Thompson's cigars. Got an email today saying they r canceling their rewards program. If u recall a while ago they had an insane sale where $4-6 cigars were the equivalent of 52 to 87 cents per cigar. Looks like the accounting department caught up to that "error". I've never even used their rewards program it is a tiny amount compared to stocking coupon codes and cash back programs. Of course this could be also just due to preparation for the upcoming virus economic hit but I have to imagine that "almost giveaway" sale must have mounted up too?

2FEE5B3D-EB5B-4614-B1AB-07EE51BC59B2.jpeg

Last Edited:
Tried an h upmann vintage Cameroon today. I can say without question this is the most interesting cigar I've ever had. I've heard Cameroon wrapper cigars were different but I had no idea.

hard to describe. #1 sweet and salty on ur lips. I had to drink some water just to make sure it wasn't from lunch or something. #2 very distinctive pungent aroma that is different from normal tobacco or musty type aromas. #3 ridiculously long finish finish. Taste hangs around in ur mouth for many minutes.

Beyond that I would say a tad bit harsh. Perfect burn won't go out even if sitting s long time. Close to perfect draw. I don't have any way to describe flavors yet. So different than anything I've had. Almost like salt water taffy with a bit of nutty plus cedar plus ??? Definitely no pepper, no chocolate like tastes that u often find.

this came in that 10 for $15 holts sampler so anyone who bought one of those (joe13 I'm looking at you) I would love to hear your impressions on this cigar when u try it. My guess is that this is a love it or hate it cigar but dunno.?

can't rate it yet until I smoke another one (too new to me don't know what to think of it yet) but it won't be below an 8/10 for sure. I am going to be on the lookout for the rocky Patel 2003 Cameroon cigar also to see if it has this kind of taste. Not for mild cigar only lovers. Medium full to full body imo. Pungent is a word I would use to describe it
2EE8E71F-D232-4D6C-B87A-766F8C738983.jpeg

Last Edited:
Tried an h upmann vintage Cameroon today. I can say without question this is the most interesting cigar I've ever had. I've heard Cameroon wrapper cigars were different but I had no idea.

hard to describe. #1 sweet and salty on ur lips. I had to drink some water just to make sure it wasn't from lunch or something. #2 very distinctive pungent aroma that is different from normal tobacco or musty type aromas. #3 ridiculously long finish finish. Taste hangs around in ur mouth for many minutes.

Beyond that I would say a tad bit harsh. Perfect burn won't go out even if sitting s long time. Close to perfect draw. I don't have any way to describe flavors yet. So different than anything I've had. Almost like salt water taffy with a bit of nutty plus cedar plus ??? Definitely no pepper, no chocolate like tastes that u often find.

this came in that 10 for $15 holts sampler so anyone who bought one of those (joe13 I'm looking at you) I would love to hear your impressions on this cigar when u try it. My guess is that this is a love it or hate it cigar but dunno.?

can't rate it yet until I smoke another one (too new to me don't know what to think of it yet) but it won't be below an 8/10 for sure. I am going to be on the lookout for the rocky Patel 2003 Cameroon cigar also to see if it has this kind of taste. Not for mild cigar only lovers. Medium full to full body imo. Pungent is a word I would use to describe it
View attachment 669250

I'll let you know.;) I am literally sitting on a few dozen types of sticks I haven't tried yet though lol.

I scored another 20 5 Vegas A's for less then $2 each (yay) and 40 Obsidian's (I really like a lot) that will get set in the back since they are harder to come by for under $4-5 each and back ordered at most places I've searched.

Ok so quick note re the aforementioned thompson crazy stacking codes and getting gift cards back deal. I finally used some of the gift cards and I always assumed gift cards apply only to regular price stuff or maybe sale price and could not be used after stacking codes. Turns out that is not the case. So for example I stacked a 15% off with free ship on sale items, then $10 off that came in a promotion email, then $8 off from rewards points, then used the gift cards. If you r looking for a bargain I suggest keeping an eye out for future thompson deals that offer "thompson cash". Then u can stack the 15 or 20% off code, plus the $10 or $20 off code, plus the free shipping code, and they also give you 10% off as a thank you code (Darn I forgot to stack that one :mad:) then you will get the "thompson cash" gift cards with your order in the mail. Clear as mud I know...

Tried a rocky Patel rennasaince maduro today. Pepper at the start and a bit bitter but pepper dying down in 2nd third. Nice deep tobacco/chocolate aroma similar to other rocky patels. Mine seemed to start out as full bodied but getting more medium full in 2nd third. Pepper at the start 8/10

Kinda started like a RP broadleaf but with more pepper and less bitterness. But now is mellowing out to more like the vintage 1990 but less dark flavors than that and less chocolate and less sweetness. Pepper in 2nd third 6/10 I'm kinda digging this cigar now.

Reminds me a lot of man o war ruination but with less spice and more chocolatey flavors than that. Lots of smoke, bit of a tight draw, good burn. Much better burn than the vintage 1990 bit perhaps my vintage 1990 was just a super tight rolled one I dunno.

My ranking system is 8-9 = a cigar that if I only had one cigar to smoke everyday forever could I live with it. I would say yes on this one. So a 8/10 for me (subject to change as i get to last third). A little too full bodied for me to rank higher but for someone else could be just the opposite.

edit: I have to downgrade rating to 7.2/10 due to going out several times in 2nd to last third. I really cannot keep this lit now without constant puffing which I hate.
2A352E37-5290-4B32-A70F-8C0C6F38A7AB.jpeg

Last Edited:
A bit like asking what your favorite flavor of whatever is, but I do have a suggestion. Of course, special times suggest special cigars.

I don't think you could ever go wrong with a Padron 64 Exclusivo Maduro. You can find them at any number of cigar stores locally, and they are solid, well aged cigars. Probably in the $12-15.00 range. If you're an experienced cigar smoker looking for a really nice, special cigar....these will fill the bill.

As they say, one man's opinion......
Noticed this video on Padron 64 (natural). Kind of long and rambling style video but some interesting history on Padron. Authors say this is a special occasion cigar.

Last Edited:
Tried a "the griffins" today. Saw recommendations that this is perhaps closest to the $20 davidoffs (it's made by Davidoff) so I wanted to give one a try. Very mild body, very subtle/mild aroma, subtle flavors. Flavors to me are woody, bit of toasted nut. Subtle bit of spice.

pros: smooth, excellent burn (although mine initially had a splitting type burn). No re-lights or touch ups. Thick chewy smoke. Nice draw.

cons: flavors so mild u almost don't know they r there.

summary: For me I don't see anything superior to a basic macanudo cafe here (I like macanudo aroma better) but it's twice the price. I would much rather have a macanudo gold label (again for half the price). A very nice cigar but similar to other Connecticut shade cigars that cost less. I would give it a 7.8/10. Fwiw I like it better than cohiba connecticut but less than macanudo or montechristo connecticut shade cigars.
D34A2775-4EB1-4B99-8A76-C41B6ECC92FF.jpeg

Last Edited:
Anyone else notice inconsistency in rocky Patel cigars (talking about construction, not blend/flavors)? I was looking at RP black label reviews on holts (that one is on sale for $2.24) and tons of reviews about inconsistency in construction.

I had inconsistency in burn with 3 of the 4 rocky patels I've tried so far -decade (too fast, splitting burn), vintage 1990 (wouldn't stay lit), and Renaissance maduro (wouldn't stay lit in 2nd/last third). I wonder if they expanded and added a new factory or something because in the past RP have been known for consistently good construction (from what I've read, not personal experience). If they are now consistently making inconsistent cigars, I would think the rep of the brand is going to go downhill.

Last Edited:
Anyone else notice inconsistency in rocky Patel cigars (talking about construction, not blend/flavors)? I was looking at RP black label reviews on holts (that one is on sale for $2.24) and tons of reviews about inconsistency in construction.

I had inconsistency in burn with 3 of the 4 rocky patels I've tried so far -decade (too fast, splitting burn), vintage 1990 (wouldn't stay lit), and Renaissance maduro (wouldn't stay lit in 2nd/last third). I wonder if they expanded and added a new factory or something because in the past RP have been known for consistently good construction (from what I've read, not personal experience). If they are now consistently making inconsistent cigars, I would think the rep of the brand is going to go downhill.

only RP's I've had are the Broadleaf which I only had one and it was great, Renaissance Maduro and Most of them are good but some tend to canoe. I'm pretty sure its not the light but maybe sometime it's the wind.

RP and Gurkha seem to have so many different cigars out that I wonder if it's a quality control issue or different factories maybe.

I find I am leaning towards brands with fewer options cuz they seem to be a better value and all around smoke then some of the bigger lines.

Also, like with Harley D, I think your sometimes paying for the name and not the product per se.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top