JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tried an Oliva serie 'O' today that I got in a sampler. Every once in a while u run into a cigar that is just a poor match for your tastes and this is one of those. I found it to have a dry, woody, somewhat bitter and definitely sour taste. Stinging in my nose and throat. Smoke reminds me of cigarette smoke a lot. Almost zero aroma. This was ranked super high on cigar afficianado so some people must love it. Definitely not for me. I have to give it 7 out of 10 because construction burn etc are all good. Just not for me at all. I have a serie "g" I will have to try sometime so I'll keep an open mind about that one until I try it.
2DF88AC6-0F20-4B4C-9FCD-205A0A0C7E36.png

Last Edited:
Tried macanudo inspirado red today. Better than I expected. Full bodied, spicy. Peppery at first (red pepper) then creamier and milder in middle third. Kind of tangy. Bit of cherry flavor to me in 2nd and 3rd. Tons of smoke. excellent draw. Box pressed. Meaty, rich, thick aroma. Pepper starts at level 6 of 10 then 5/10. Maybe I'm just getting used to it but now in last third seems like almost 4/10 pepper wise.. People who like full bodied but not harsh and with spice will probably like this one. U can find it pretty cheap in some places. Low nicotine/strength but full body. Lots of flavor. Love the rich, strong aroma. More spice than pepper. Pepper doesn't hang around in ur mouth like man o war ruination and monte christo media noche did.

8.2/10 ranking for me. Fwiw 7 on my scale = respect the cigar and premium well made, may not be a flavor profile I prefer. 8+ = could live with it as only cigar everyday if I had to. 9+ = my favorites and hate to put them out at the end. Kind of similar to that rocky Patel short run but different aroma and spicier. Way, way better than macanudo inspirado orange imo. Ill be smoking this one to the end compared to that Olivia series O gave up half way.
47D07648-565E-4985-A335-B95263D7E10E.jpeg

Tried a rocky Patel vintage 1990 today. Dark tobacco and chocolate in taste and aroma. Not bitter. Smooth but dark. Sort of like a dark chocolate covered cherry. Rich dark aroma. Medium body. Very interesting cigar and love the strong aroma. Well worth a try to see if it is a flavor u like IMO. Tight draw but not bad. Very nice strong aroma. These r available cheap as factory second bundles also.

Had some burn issues with it from the start. Had to re-light it 5 times (so far) which rarely happens for me. Very firm box pressed. I like it but not one of my favorites.

7.7/10 ranking for me just cuz really dark flavor is not my personal preference and burn issues. Hard to keep lit for me. Seems like only very outermost edge burns easily but doesnt burn farther than that (this is from 69% consistent humidor so not due to over humidification). Almost like too firmly packed is the reason?
DDF8B805-E54A-4244-8350-C94BF2875D71.jpeg

here is a cigar obsession video review on it:

Another hygrometer to avoid. Says it's adjustable on two places on Thompson's website but it is non adjustable. Says calibrated from factory but it is 8% off. The only one I trust for these non phone connected hygrometers is the hygroset. That hygroset one is dead one accurate from the factory and is also adjustable. Cigarbid has the hygroset ones for roughly $11.

Bad one
EAE1E57D-2CC6-4588-A9B3-649E8D321E16.jpeg
good one
4FAC317B-1F05-4C3E-B5AF-B4598CA2F9EF.jpeg

Tried a montechristo platinum today. This came in that 10 cigars for $15 sampler from Holts (see posts above).

summary: 9.1/10, excellent cigar, lots of flavor, medium body. I would give it higher rating if had a bit less pepper.

tons of smoke. Very light draw. Bit of an uneven burn requiring 1 touch up. Kind of a fast burner. Wrapper is like a beautiful very thin piece of silk, slight unrolling (see pic) but may be from too rough handling for such a delicate wrapper. Nice musty medium weight aroma.

A little sweet. Woody, buttery, nutty, some white pepper on tongue. Reminds me a lot of the original h upmann cigars but with more pepper zing on the tongue. Great cigar. I just bought another of those samplers and if there are more like this in it I'm going to be tickled and may be looking for another free shipping deal just to get another sampler ha ha. Nicotine/strength very low. Pepper level interesting and only slightly detrimental I would say, not overwhelming. 5 out of 10 I would say on pepper level.
464BB7C0-1F81-4742-87AF-AF59AA19454A.jpeg

Last Edited:
I have been lurking this thread off and on for a while. I need a bit of advice. I finally bought a house. First time. Not quite retirement age, but it has been something a long time coming.

I will be moving in at the beginning of May. It is just me, no one else. The first night, I want to grill a good steak, lounge in the hot tub, have a mighty fine whiskey and a worthy smoke. I already have the meat for the steak covered, but would like suggestions for a drink/smoke for my kicking back on the porch "finally made it" moment. Kind of an I love it when a plan comes together thing.

Any suggestions?

I have been lurking this thread off and on for a while. I need a bit of advice. I finally bought a house. First time. Not quite retirement age, but it has been something a long time coming.

I will be moving in at the beginning of May. It is just me, no one else. The first night, I want to grill a good steak, lounge in the hot tub, have a mighty fine whiskey and a worthy smoke. I already have the meat for the steak covered, but would like suggestions for a drink/smoke for my kicking back on the porch "finally made it" moment. Kind of an I love it when a plan comes together thing.

Any suggestions?

This is THE beef & whiskey cigar...

Any suggestions?
A bit like asking what your favorite flavor of whatever is, but I do have a suggestion. Of course, special times suggest special cigars.

I don't think you could ever go wrong with a Padron 64 Exclusivo Maduro. You can find them at any number of cigar stores locally, and they are solid, well aged cigars. Probably in the $12-15.00 range. If you're an experienced cigar smoker looking for a really nice, special cigar....these will fill the bill.

As they say, one man's opinion......

Any suggestions?
Something in the ten dollar range should do.:D

Any suggestions?

Hard to go wrong with Macanudo's.

If your just getting one I would hit up a decent cigar and pipe shop and ask what they would recommend.

Give them the info and they should be able to steer you at something mild and smooth.

For a drink... that's personal preference but if it's alcohol it will multiply the strength of the nicotine so I would recommend water and something with sugar to avoid the possibility of turning "green", that's not fun and will ruin your celebration;).

Just my 2¢

This is THE beef & whiskey cigar...

...I respectfully offer another choice;

...as they say, one man's opinion....

Black Ops Maduro today for me.

Not mild but no to little pepper and plenty of punch with just a tad of sweetness on the finish.

I liked the robusto's I got so I bought a bundle of Churchill's when I saw them on sale.

No burn issues and a good 90 min plus smoke.

D2B5491A-14C2-486C-BE35-2AAABF7521E0.jpeg

Any suggestions?
Agree with blindedbyscience. Such a wide range of cigars. I would figure out if u like mild, medium, strong bodied first. Then use the reviews in this thread, cigar obsession videos, (and great suggestion about local shops advice above too cuz the # of cigars out there is just huge ). Also take a look at the really high rated cigar afficianado ranked ones but don't go on that alone (my oliva serie O review above is why, really bad for me, but apparently good for others otherwise wouldn't have been ranked high).

If your new to cigars I would go with a tried and true, well known, mild to medium smooth one first. or if you get a sampler like that holts one posted above u have 10 chances wirh some really good cigars for $23 (including shipping).

Re whiskey it's easier imo. Scotch is pretty easy to ID the best group of scotches. Bourbon my suggestion would be blanton's on ice. Again kind of a tried and true one for bourbon lovers. But tons of good bourbons to choose from that any one person could argue is just as good or betterbased on personal taste. Same for Irish etc.

Heads up on a good accessory sale. I noticed xikar cutters for a really good price on this sale. Free shipping on $25 and over from this company.

Might be worth double checking the cigar prices on the sale also but those r hit and miss as far as prices imo. One I like is 1/2 off anywhere else but others seem to be more normal prices.

FYI re the xikar xi series cutters, xi1 is aluminum build, xi2 is plastic build, xi3 is metal plus various outside materials build. All have the same stainless blades. Not sure about 20th anniversary looks like aluminum build.

Watch them burn: these overstock boxes get smoked and you're the big winner.
96214AAD-638D-4838-91A3-F48E0074D1EF.png
50CBCF73-3B9B-4F71-B4A5-8783B0AF2CE5.png

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews