JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You kinda lost me....

Posts from this thread indicate articles that cite a 40% chance of the quake in the next 50 years...

I dint think anyone here cares about supporting corporations? You really lost me there.

If you dont want to prep, but have a plan thats ok too ....except that your telling us part of your plan is looting.

Essentially, that means your stealing other peoples preps.

I hear the Mormons are super preppers and have mega stashes ready for their members.
I wonder if I can convert real quick like if it all goes to hell.

You kinda lost me....

Posts from this thread indicate articles that cite a 40% chance of the quake in the next 50 years...

I dint think anyone here cares about supporting corporations? You really lost me there.

If you dont want to prep, but have a plan thats ok too.

And look at the impact to the PDX area. It isn't that bad.

The only time I mentioned looting was at corporations. A number of people seem to be really against that in a scenario to help someone get home.

Ok, thank you for clarifying that.

I dont care if you loot a corporate store... But the flaw in your plan is that it will probably be looted before you get there or if you got there in time it would be risky fighting the other looters

Ok, thank you for clarifying that.

I dont care if you loot a corporate store... But the flaw in your plan is that it will probably be looted before you get there or if you got there in time it would be risky fighting the other looters

I get that, but I'm armed, know how to use it, and am close by (which is why that's part of my plan).

Isnt that idea the antithesis of prepping?

What do you need cash for if your plan is looting?

The issue of looting aside, having a decent chunk of change is always a good thing, whether it is a SHTF or a flat tire emergency.

Even if the grid went down and/or the government collapsed, it won't happen completely overnight. There will still be a lot of people who will accept cash - even paper money - for a significant period of time until (IF) it becomes apparent that cash is worthless. Waving a fifty in front of someone who still believes in its power can get things done.

Under 50 CC doesn't require any licence. Not allowed to travel on Highways and freeways.

Has to have pedals, cannot be above a certain horsepower (I forget, but it is really low) and cannot be able to go above 30 MPH.

This also depends on the locale, it isn't the same everywhere.

Also, there are other rules about where you can take a gas powered bicycle - a lot of areas do not allow them on bicycle paths.

I hear the Mormons are super preppers and have mega stashes ready for their members.
I wonder if I can convert real quick like if it all goes to hell.

I was on the ground in NOLA just after Katrina hit for the Corps of Engineers and the Mormon disaster recovery efforts were no joke. They came in with mad supplies, money and volunteers, but make no mistake about it, they were there to help their people and their people only.

As to the super prepper comment, the part I love is on top of the year+ of food/water they have a goal of +10k rounds of ammo :eek::cool:

it is a much more likely scenario that I'll (or many of you) will retire in life than this 9.0+ happens that "crushes" Portland.

Agreed.

How much are you putting toward your retirement versus preparing for this event?

30% of my gross income to start with (which isn't chump change)

Then there is the acreage I live on - the growing equity of which is part of my retirement plans.

Prep'ing isn't about how much money you spend or how much you acquire. It is about having a plan. LOL @ being concerned about a corporation's profits being cut into. THAT'S NOT A CONCERN IN A SHTF SCENARIO. WTF?

It is for me.

I don't steal from anybody. Saying it is a corporation is a cop-out. I own stock in many corporations. When you steal from them, you steal from me, my retirement funds and from my children.

Also, there is nothing about where you live that justifies you not having proper clothing (IIRC, you said you would go to REI and loot clothing from them?). I am a member of REI, when you steal from them, you steal from me.

Also, from a practical perspective, looting is a great way to get shot, or at least arrested. I don't care who a looter is stealing from, if I see someone looting, I will be very tempted to drop them right there, regardless.:mad:

Agreed.

30% of my gross income to start with (which isn't chump change)

Then there is the acreage I live on - the growing equity of which is part of my retirement plans.

Great!

Also, there is nothing about where you live that justifies you not having proper clothing (IIRC, you said you would go to REI and loot clothing from them?). I am a member of REI, when you steal from them, you steal from me.
LOL! No, just no. I'm a member too. They have been stolen from numerous time since I became a member. It hasn't affected me.

Great!

LOL! No, just no. I'm a member too. They have been stolen from numerous time since I became a member. It hasn't affected me.

It does affect you, you just are not paying attention.

Any time someone steals from a corporation, that corporation passes that cost on to their customers. In 2015, theft from retailers alone was $45 Billion dollars - that raises the cost of their goods by 1.4%, which is passed on to you.

I don't know about you, but that adds up for me, since I spend thousands of dollars every year of various goods, including food, clothing and so on.

But you just laugh it off - be part of the problem - deny that it affects you or anybody else as justification for stealing from other people. :rolleyes:

It does affect you, you just are not paying attention.

Any time someone steals from a corporation, that corporation passes that cost on to their customers. In 2015, theft from retailers alone was $45 Billion dollars - that raises the cost of their goods by 1.4%, which is passed on to you.

I don't know about you, but that adds up for me, since I spend thousands of dollars every year of various goods, including food, clothing and so on.

But you just laugh it off - be part of the problem - deny that it affects you or anybody else as justification for stealing from other people. :rolleyes:
That's not how capitalism works. Those corporations still have to compete with other retailers. When their prices get too high, people shop elsewhere.

You're being over dramatic here.

That's not how capitalism works. Those corporations still have to compete with other retailers. When their prices get too high, people shop elsewhere.

You're being over dramatic here.

All retailers have theft, and they all have to make a profit. It is passed on to the consumer in one form or another. Another way to pass it on is to claim it as a loss to insurance corps, and on taxes. Guess who pays higher insurance rates and who loses out on tax revenue? You and I.

It is the little guy - you and I - who get hurt by theft - not the corporations. The corporations are large enough to hire lawyers, lobbyists, etc., to make sure they make a profit. You and I don't have that kind of pull (unless you happen to be a billionaire, which I doubt or you wouldn't be talking about stealing from REI).

You are just trying to justify doing something morally reprehensible.

All retailers have theft, and they all have to make a profit. It is passed on to the consumer in one form or another. Another way to pass it on is to claim it as a loss to insurance corps, and on taxes. Guess who pays higher insurance rates and who loses out on tax revenue? You and I.

It is the little guy - you and I - who get hurt by theft - not the corporations. The corporations are large enough to hire lawyers, lobbyists, etc., to make sure they make a profit. You and I don't have that kind of pull (unless you happen to be a billionaire, which I doubt or you wouldn't be talking about stealing from REI).

You are just trying to justify doing something morally reprehensible.

:s0101:

@cdmontgo Would you agree that the purpose of prepping is so you can better survive/prosper if something unexpected happens? If you answered yes, don't you think intentionally putting yourself in a position where you are more likely to be shot at is kind of... Counterproductive?

@cdmontgo Would you agree that the purpose of prepping is so you can better survive/prosper if something unexpected happens? If you answered yes, don't you think intentionally putting yourself in a position where you are more likely to be shot at is kind of... Counterproductive?
Nobody is shooting me at REI. Like I said, if I have to do what I have to do to survive outside of my home, then so be it. If I can get home safely, that's a different story.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads