JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sad situation. Did anyone notice that the linked story is actually written as news and not editorial?? No gun control hyperbole, no whining and wailing and gnashing of teeth over access to firearms or anything, just the facts. And from KATU no less. I'm impressed! The suicide prevention line at the bottom is a nice touch.

It's kinda hard to press all that into 8 short lines of a story. Glad to see it was short and to the point but I'm sure it won't be the final version or there will be an editorial version within the week just gushing of that crap. Not sure what the circumstances must be to have this be a viable option. This really is a problem and with something as final as suicide there apparently are not enough proper channels to get help.

Glad to hear they have cameras to prevent the blame from being pushed in other directions. As of now, it's just listed as a wound so indications are that he lived.

Suicide generally leaves the living to suffer.... o_O

True. One of my best friends committed suicide back in 2012. He had tried it twice before, managed to pull it off that time. Devastated his family, and he did it at home, leaving his youngest daughter to find him. Suicide is both very selfish and very tragic - torn between mental illness and staying for friends and family. Very sad.

My friend was the life of the party, always the funniest guy in the room - in many ways, he reminded me of Robin Williams - very few had any idea what kind of messed up stuff was going on in his head, until he finally left this world.

Truly sad for this range, it's members/customers, and this guys family.

I was usually the funny guy, always joking, and always the entertainment at parties and gathers, but it was a lot like a clown. Just a happy face behind depression and self loathing.
Just from a not so great childhood.
Even dealing with that for 36 years (and still) I've never thought about hurting myself in any way. Just can't fathom the idea. Now my life is great and I have a family I'm not sure I deserve, but I work at it daily. I really can't imagine doing this to your family.

What a deck move. Anytime I got down I just did something for other people. Selfless acts of kindness are the one and only drug everyone needs.

Happened in Boise at Impact Guns a couple years ago. Unfortunately I think it's becoming a more common modus operandi among the mentally unstable... poor fkr.

Coulda been worse. Guy could have bought a firearm and then decided to go nuts and take a bunch of people with him.

I'm all for getting people help if they want it. But if they want to get off this ride we call life let them.

Was looking for information on the legality of suicide in Oregon. I am aware of assisted suicide with a doctor but I remember seeing something about attempting it was legal here since 1996 or there about. The thought came because these new laws on gun violence are to remove guns for something that might be legal. If so it's a loophole the state put in place.

didnt they have 2 fires (which i think are very suspicious) and now this?

wow.

Didn't know about 2 fires. Yikes!

As to suicide, it is a selfish act.

There are certain rare circumstances which I could abide by someone making that choice, eg terminal illness. If the loved ones are aware of the choice.

My folks neighbor down the street took his life in the yard. Early onset Parkinson's, in super rough shape. Had been a SC trooper. Planned it for when his wife went to run errands.

We had seen him and his wife out on a short walk just a few days prior. I heard the shot, along with the neighbors wailing, after Sherrif deputies and Rescue arrived. Told Mom and Dad nothing to see up there, no sense looky looing.

My brother fought terminal cancer up until his last breath when it took him at 44. February 28th 2012. Pretty sure he was trying to fight on to the 29th, so the memory of his passing would be less painful for us. Kind of guy that he was.

Last thing he said to me was "keep going...keep going", when I said goodnight. We had just started home hospice the week before, so I went to work an overnight. My Dad was with him when he passed, at home, in my and my brothers living room, Boston suburbs. We had set up the living room as a bedroom, so he wouldn't need to do any stairs. Just what he wanted.

If you are alone and haven't anyone around for a "support system" one day life will begin to draw to a close. Sometimes ending your own life appears a better option than remaining a burden on society.

Many older Veterans begin feeling this way. Without a family, society doesn't care at all. Isolation becomes a constant companion and your worst enemy. You really don't want to share with anyone because they will strip you of your dignity and further isolate you. Does anyone really care? No.

The condescending attitude of the medical community seems to be... "Don't address their depression, they're dying anyway. It doesn't matter."

This will be how the end comes for many of our single veterans.

Think about it.

Last Edited:
What a sad story indeed. My heart goes out to his family.

This guy probably did it at a range with rentals because the waiting period disrupted his plans. I have read many times that suicide largely occurs on impulse.

The waiting period in Oregon is only as long as the back ground check. A few minutes to a few hours normally. The few times I have rented guns I had some of my own with me.

I had to make a formal identification of a friend back in 1983 who had opted out using his service pistol. He did it in the stock room of the unit bar and left four gorgeous daughters and a totally bewildered wife, and, of course, everything else as well.

Took about a year to learn that he had been race-horse gambling by phone - illegal at that time in Germany - and had notched up an impressive IOU that he was unable to pay.

tac

I had an old girlfriend tell me her father drowned himself when she was young. She said out of the blue one day, he told her he was thinking of killing her. Not long after, she wasn't specific, he killed himself leaving a wife and 4 daughters including twins.

I know people can go to a dark place even with everything seemingly going wonderful. Sometimes success is overwhelming. Go figure. On the flip side people with no redeemable qualities seem to go on forever.

On the flip side people with no redeemable qualities seem to go on forever.

Isn't that the truth.

My limited experience at TriTac is they do a good job of safety, to the point of coming off suspicious. It is a clean & organized shop.

I don't shoot at indoor ranges if I can help it. Too loud, too many first time shooters, and too many idiots in a tiny space. However, I feel real bad for the owners of TriTac. First the fire and then this.. Insurance, more insurance, and probably now lawyers too. Maybe a good option for them going forward is to become a private club.

A few years back i went to an indoor range while on a business trip. As I was not a member, they required I bring someone with me.
I am thinking that policy has a lot to do with what happened here.

It doesn't work that way with true depression. It is a problem with brain chemistry. Acts of kindness unfortunately don't help.

There's a lot of truth to this. Then again "situational depression" is an entirely different matter. It can't always be cured by "quick fixes". Society "pigeonholes" people according to age, appearance, and other factors. You can lie to yourself all you like. These are cultural norms and standards that have become socially ingrained for centuries.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top