JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
ODFW is revising the boundaries for Sage Grouse PAC's.
A PAC is a Priority Area for Conservation.

You can learn about it here: https://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/sagegrouse/cas_update_2023.asp
Click the landscape tool to open the map and zoom around.

It looks like this:
sage1.jpg

Public land inside a PAC is subject to special sage grouse restrictions. The goal is to preserve and restore sage grouse habitat.
The ODFW PAC boundaries are reasonable. It's a decent program, working well in many areas.

There is one improvement they could make: they should exclude a few more developed areas along highways where the highways enter PAC boundaries.
Because all available studies show that sage grouse stay ~2 miles away from highways, especially when development exists along the highway. So those areas should not be included in PAC boundaries.
ODFW already does this in some areas, like Brogan, west of Vale.
We need them to do it in a few more areas, like Hwy 86 easy of Baker.

The Powder River Sportsmen's Club leases the land for our shooting range from BLM. Since 1968.
We are renewing our lease this year.
Our range is just inside the Baker PAC, right alongside Hwy 86.

Our negotiations were going fine until two days ago, then BLM decided to add sage grouse restrictions to our lease.
Like we have to close the range for the first and last two hours of every day from March through June, and maybe some other months too, to avoid disturbing sage grouse.

This doesn't make sense because our shooting range is right on a busy highway.
The highway is the predominant disturbance in our area.
If BLM deleted our range from the map, sage grouse still would not use habitat within 2 miles of that highway. Because it's a highway.

There are two ways we can fix this problem: negotiate with BLM, but also ask ODFW to revise the PAC boundary so we are not in the PAC. If they do that, all our problems are solved.

You can help us. Here's how:

Send an email to three email addresses:
To: [email protected]
CC: [email protected] and [email protected]

Paste this text into the body of the email:

"Dear ODFW,
The new sage grouse PAC boundaries should exclude areas of pre-existing human development and activity at points where highways enter PAC's, because those areas are non-viable for sage grouse habitat.
Sage grouse will not use habitat near highways, especially when pre-PAC development and human activity are present adjacent to the highway.
Including such areas in PAC boundaries will not achieve any conservation objective, but it will invite conflict and undermine public support for the sage grouse conservation initiative.
ODFW has already drawn "exclusion fingers" in some PAC's, such as Brogan, west of Vale.
I ask that you consider drawing more of those exclusion areas at other places where highways enter PAC boundaries, such as Hwy 86 east of Baker.
Thank you."

That's it.
It will take you two minutes.
Paste the addresses into the To and CC boxes, paste the text into the body, click send.

If you don't mind, do it very soon, like now.
The public comment period for the revised PAC maps ends Sep 30.
However, any time in the next several days will be fine. ODFW didn't do a very good job of informing the public that they are asking for public comments, so they will accept "late" comments.

If a lot of people send this email it will help us greatly. It will help us take a stand against pointless policy, and it will help ODFW improve their map and avoid other potential conflicts.

If you recall, our Club sprayed M114 signs all over the state last fall. Many people on this board helped us get that job done, and we dang near won that election.

We would be very grateful for each one of you who spends two minutes to send that email.

Thank you!

David Spaugh
PRSC
Baker City

Last Edited:
HEY GUYS!

These were the Folks that supplied us with all the No on 114 signs back when we were fighting the ballot measure. Please help them out now by sending the emails as described!

It's Easy!

A PAC is a Priority Area for Conservation.

You can learn about it here: https://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/sagegrouse/cas_update_2023.asp
Click the landscape tool to open the map and zoom around.

It looks like this:
View attachment 1732644

Public land inside a PAC is subject to special sage grouse restrictions. The goal is to preserve and restore sage grouse habitat.
The ODFW PAC boundaries are reasonable. It's a decent program, working well in many areas.

There is one improvement they could make: they should exclude a few more developed areas along highways where the highways enter PAC boundaries.
Because all available studies show that sage grouse stay ~2 miles away from highways, especially when development exists along the highway. So those areas should not be included in PAC boundaries.
ODFW already does this in some areas, like Brogan, west of Vale.
We need them to do it in a few more areas, like Hwy 86 easy of Baker.

The Powder River Sportsmen's Club leases the land for our shooting range from BLM. Since 1968.
We are renewing our lease this year.
Our range is just inside the Baker PAC, right alongside Hwy 86.

Our negotiations were going fine until two days ago, then BLM decided to add sage grouse restrictions to our lease.
Like we have to close the range for the first and last two hours of every day from March through June, and maybe some other months too, to avoid disturbing sage grouse.

This doesn't make sense because our shooting range is right on a busy highway.
The highway is the predominant disturbance in our area.
If BLM deleted our range from the map, sage grouse still would not use habitat within 2 miles of that highway. Because it's a highway.

There are two ways we can fix this problem: negotiate with BLM, but also ask ODFW to revise the PAC boundary so we are not in the PAC. If they do that, all our problems are solved.

You can help us. Here's how:

Send an email to three email addresses:
To: [email protected]
CC: [email protected] and [email protected]

Paste this test into the body of the email:

"Dear ODFW,
The new sage grouse PAC boundaries should exclude areas of pre-existing human development and activity at points where highways enter PAC's, because those areas are non-viable for sage grouse habitat.
Sage grouse will not use habitat near highways, especially when pre-PAC development and human activity are present adjacent to the highway.
Including such areas in PAC boundaries will not achieve any conservation objective, but it will invite conflict and undermine public support for the sage grouse conservation initiative.
ODFW has already drawn "exclusion fingers" in some PAC's, such as Brogan, west of Vale.
I ask that you consider drawing more of those exclusion areas at other places where highways enter PAC boundaries, such as Hwy 86 east of Baker.
Thank you."

That's it.
It will take you two minutes.
Paste the addresses into the To and CC boxes, paste the text into the body, click send.

If you don't mind, do it very soon, like now.
The public comment period for the revised PAC maps ends Sep 30.
However, any time in the next several days will be fine. ODFW didn't do a very good job of informing the public that they are asking for public comments, so they will accept "late" comments.

If a lot of people send this email it will help us greatly. It will help us take a stand against pointless policy, and it will help ODFW improve their map and avoid other potential conflicts.

If you recall, our Club sprayed M114 signs all over the state last fall. Many people on this board helped us get that job done, and we dang near won that election.

We would be very grateful for each one of you who spends two minutes to send that email.

Thank you!

David Spaugh
PRSC
Baker City
I just sent a "spiffed up" version of the suggested form letter to the ODFW so it doesn't look like a "robot cookie-cutter" operation (which holds no credence with bureaucrats) … hope it helps!

I just sent a "spiffed up" version of the suggested form letter to the ODFW so it doesn't look like a "robot cookie-cutter" operation (which holds no credence with bureaucrats) … hope it helps!
I kept mine fairly close to the suggested text, but did change the greeting to, "Mein Dear BLM Führer"... and the closing salutation to a simple, "Sieg Heil!"

(Or at least the thought crossed my mind... :D )

I kept mine fairly close to the suggested text, but did change the greeting to, "Mein Dear BLM Führer"... and the closing salutation to a simple, "Sieg Heil!"

(Or at least the thought crossed my mind... :D )
Although there's nothing wrong with the original letter outlined above, I've never been one to copy and paste a "form letter" in these "shítuations" because the receiving bureaucrats will discount the comment, especially if they're hell-bent on going through with something.

For those of you of the same mindset, here's a copy of what I sent if you'd like to further modify it so it looks "original" without having to "re-invent the wheel". It acknowledges the importance of their objectives (stroking their professional egos) while appealing for practicality and harmony for those who have to directly live with it on a daily basis.

Dear ODFW,

The new sage grouse PAC boundaries should exclude areas of pre-existing human development and activity at points where highways enter PAC areas because those areas are non-viable for sage grouse habitat.

All available studies show that sage grouse will not use habitat within 2-miles of highways, especially when pre-PAC development and human activity are present adjacent to the highway.

Including such areas in PAC boundaries will not achieve any tangible conservation objectives, but it will invite conflict between achieving conservation goals and existing human activities and developments, as well as undermine public support for the sage grouse conservation initiative.

ODFW has already drawn "exclusion fingers" in some PAC's (such as Brogan, west of Vale), so based on all of the available studies I ask that you consider drawing more of those exclusion areas at other places where highways enter PAC boundaries, such as Hwy-86 east of Baker as it will harmonize with existing human developments while not having a negative impact on the valuable PAC objective of developing a thriving sage grouse population.

Thank you,

Last Edited:
Thanks everyone!

They are rolling in.

Our "pools":
- our own members
- our contact sheet of other Oregon Clubs
- this thread on NWF.

The response is much appreciated. And effective. And a little heart-warming.

Even if you don't see this thread 'til Tuesday, send it!

Thank you!

DS

Done. Added in that I am a hunters ed instructor and these types of questions and conflicts show up regularly in class. Many times the restrictions are silly or make little sense to those who actually look at the facts. Unfortunately, the greenies on these committees rarely care about the facts. Hopefully, they will pay attention this time.

Monday bump.

ODFW called me today, nice chat, they said the deadline for public comment is soft. They will read all comments that come in.

Keep 'em coming, thanks.

Clarification: ODFW is not a part of our BLM problem. If ODFW draws us out of the PAC, "all our BLM problems" are not solved.
Rather, it's just a plank to work from to try to convince BLM to implement smart policy instead of stupid policy.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Baker City
I noticed that you added your address below your signature block. Do letters from out-of-staters count? Or do I have to be an OR resident for it to count?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top