JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi folks, I've come to the conclusion that my current EDC/commuting/get home (i.e. do everything) bag isn't cutting it any longer. It's a Chrome Industries backpack, made out of 1000 D cordura - so while it's weather proof and more or less bomb-proof, it's heavy as hell and is doing a number on my back.

The following is what I need the bag to do and hold. I realize this may be asking one bag to do/be too much, but please humor me and give me your best recommendation. I'd be much obliged.

Relevant background: I commute on a motorcycle - I do have saddlebags, but use them to stow mc rain gear, extra fuel, shop towels and a few tools. Doesn't leave much room for other gear. So, I need one bag that can function as my commuter, EDC when off work, and SHTF Get Home bag in a SHTF scenario.

Here's what I carry on a daily basis:
  • Two 14" laptops (one issued by my client)
  • Dress shoes
  • 21oz water bottle (full)
  • 20oz travel mug (full heading to work)
  • Folder containing important work documents
  • Cell phone charger
  • Sunglasses in a soft case
  • Eyeglass cleaner
  • Ibuprofen - small bottle
  • Migraine meds
  • Some Band-Aids
  • Hand sanitizer
  • 3-4 packets Alka-Seltzer
  • 3-4 granola bars (for emergency)
  • Sandwich or Tupperware (3 cups) for lunch
  • Banana (sometimes)
  • Keys + Boker Keycom + Southord keychain lockpick set
  • Leatherman Multi-tool
  • Ka-Bar Becker Eskabar knife - 7" OAL
  • 30' of 1/8" kevlar braided rope
  • S&W Sheild in Alien Gear Cloak-Tuck iwb holster + 3 spare mags
  • Collapseable 21" baton
  • Packable rain jacket
  • Shemagh
So yeah, I know that's a lot, but there's not really anything significant I want to cut. On weekends, the laptops, shoes and docs stay home, but pretty much everything else comes with.
If SHTF while I'm at work, I plan to stash the laptops and shoes and head for home.

I feel that the load would be much more manageable if the bag were a few lbs lighter, and potentially provided a bit more support while still being tough enough to survive daily use and that earthquake they all say is coming.

If you made it through all that, thanks for sticking with me! I look forward to the input.

Thanks folks!

I like a lot of what you have. There's a few thoughts below that may or may not be helpful. I've done a bit of hiking have always tried my best to shave as many ounces as possible.
  • Test out your route(s) on foot sometime and see if a lockpick set could be useful.
  • Shemagh vs. Bandana? Both fill a very similar role.
  • The Ka-Bar and Multi-tool would be a VERY versatile setup. 3 knives might be too much.
  • Collapsible batons are heavy. If needed any good rod or stick scavenged might do as well.
  • I like the rope. I prefer 550 cord as its generally smaller and packs easier.
  • If you're still looking for a day pack, have you checked out some of the Camelbak type packs with integrated water bladders? Some of them are built tough, are big enough for the listed load, and are very comfortable (padded and have a decent hip belt). I carried mine around the middle east and loved it. They're a bit heavy and expensive but I think it was worth it. They also reduce the need to carry around extra water. They're also common enough you can take you setup to a store and if allowed see if everything fits and is comfortable.

Hi folks, I've come to the conclusion that my current EDC/commuting/get home (i.e. do everything) bag isn't cutting it any longer. It's a Chrome Industries backpack, made out of 1000 D cordura - so while it's weather proof and more or less bomb-proof, it's heavy as hell and is doing a number on my back.

The following is what I need the bag to do and hold. I realize this may be asking one bag to do/be too much, but please humor me and give me your best recommendation. I'd be much obliged.

Relevant background: I commute on a motorcycle - I do have saddlebags, but use them to stow mc rain gear, extra fuel, shop towels and a few tools. Doesn't leave much room for other gear. So, I need one bag that can function as my commuter, EDC when off work, and SHTF Get Home bag in a SHTF scenario.

Here's what I carry on a daily basis:
  • Two 14" laptops (one issued by my client)
  • Dress shoes
  • 21oz water bottle (full)
  • 20oz travel mug (full heading to work)
  • Folder containing important work documents
  • Cell phone charger
  • Sunglasses in a soft case
  • Eyeglass cleaner
  • Ibuprofen - small bottle
  • Migraine meds
  • Some Band-Aids
  • Hand sanitizer
  • 3-4 packets Alka-Seltzer
  • 3-4 granola bars (for emergency)
  • Sandwich or Tupperware (3 cups) for lunch
  • Banana (sometimes)
  • Keys + Boker Keycom + Southord keychain lockpick set
  • Leatherman Multi-tool
  • Ka-Bar Becker Eskabar knife - 7" OAL
  • 30' of 1/8" kevlar braided rope
  • S&W Sheild in Alien Gear Cloak-Tuck iwb holster + 3 spare mags
  • Collapseable 21" baton
  • Packable rain jacket
  • Shemagh
So yeah, I know that's a lot, but there's not really anything significant I want to cut. On weekends, the laptops, shoes and docs stay home, but pretty much everything else comes with.
If SHTF while I'm at work, I plan to stash the laptops and shoes and head for home.

I feel that the load would be much more manageable if the bag were a few lbs lighter, and potentially provided a bit more support while still being tough enough to survive daily use and that earthquake they all say is coming.

If you made it through all that, thanks for sticking with me! I look forward to the input.

Thanks folks!

Are you positive that all of the cities and counties allow you to carry a fixed blade knife of that size? Bancouver (that was a spelling mistake but I think I may start calling it that now:D) it is illegal to have one on you.

Pretty sure a backpack counts as concealed as well.

No matter, was just tossing that out.

If your not opposed to hunting camo the Badlands backpacks are pretty dang good. Lifetime Warrenty with no questions asked. Take a spill on the bike and you just have to ship it too them and they will have fixed it or send you a new one. A bit spendy maybe but it's hunting season so they are going to be on sale soon even if they aren't now.

Lot of size and configurations, I have the super day pack (and a smaller one that wouldn't hold the laptops for EDC for all my crap and the dogs stuff too) and it would fit all of what you mentioned plus some and I've hauled that on my back in the woods for 12+ miles at a time and been pretty comfortable.

Mines never been treated with waterproofing and I've been soaked to the bone and never once had the contents inside get wet.

Sounds like you have a profession that requires certain attire so the camo may not appeal to you.

Does anybody know of any suitable (not overly large) external frame packs? My only real complaint about internal packs use for these purposes is breathability in hot weather/heavy exertion. I hate having my back get drenched in sweat if I don't need to.

Does anybody know of any suitable (not overly large) external frame packs? My only real complaint about internal packs use for these purposes is breathability in hot weather/heavy exertion. I hate having my back get drenched in sweat if I don't need to.

The badlands packs all have ventilation built into them - the larger pack I have has a built in soft frame and it looks like aggressive tire treads - very breathable.

Not sure I'd personally want an external metal frames backpack for a motorcycle.

Really it seems the big problem you have is too much stuff... 2 laptops is really a lot of gear, plus they need padding to not be broken which adds both weight and bulk. Even then, that's probably what? 15-20lbs of gear you can dump right there?

To a point, it sounds like what you really need is a better way to carry your gear, not necessarily a new bag. Personally I would go get a pelican case for the laptops, and find some way to mount that to the bike so it's not burning up space in your pack. I would also look for a way to attach the pack to your bike. I don't know much about motorcycles, so I can't suggest much in that realm. But over-all, I think you're carrying stuff you don't need.

I've actually stopped carrying my laptop around with me everywhere, instead I'm starting to carry a tablet for most use (email, web browsing, etc) and then a 64gb USB key with linux that any computer can boot off of that has most of the work files I might need. Since I've got the tablet, I don't need to worry about doing e-mail on the USB key so my files don't get all bloated.

Really it seems the big problem you have is too much stuff... 2 laptops is really a lot of gear, plus they need padding to not be broken which adds both weight and bulk. Even then, that's probably what? 15-20lbs of gear you can dump right there?

To a point, it sounds like what you really need is a better way to carry your gear, not necessarily a new bag...

Yeah, carrying two laptops really isn't my first choice. I'm a consultant and the work I do for my client has to be done on the laptop they issue. There's also work I do for my own employer, which needs to be done on the laptop they've issued. So, I really do need both, and unfortunately a tablet won't get the job done. I like the idea of something like a pelican case strapped to the bike - I'll have to look into that.
Like I said, though, if I'm in a situation that's bad enough that I have to hoof it from downtown all the way back home because the grid's down or what have you, the laptops are the first to go.

I still feel pretty strongly about getting a new bag though. The material on my current is really thick and dense, and there's really very little support to speak of. I'd like something with lighter-weight, ripstop material or they type used for goruck, maxpedition, and condor gear, thicker shoulder straps, firmer backing, and a waist belt

Are you positive that all of the cities and counties allow you to carry a fixed blade knife of that size? Bancouver (that was a spelling mistake but I think I may start calling it that now:D) it is illegal to have one on you.

Pretty sure a backpack counts as concealed as well.

No matter, was just tossing that out.

If your not opposed to hunting camo the Badlands backpacks are pretty dang good...

Sounds like you have a profession that requires certain attire so the camo may not appeal to you.

You bring up a good point - I should have been more specific though, the blade is only 3 and 1/4 inches, the rest of the 7" is the handle. Badlands gear sounds pretty solid, but you're right, I'm stuck wearing business cas, so camo doesn't really fly for daily use.

Yeah, carrying two laptops really isn't my first choice. I'm a consultant and the work I do for my client has to be done on the laptop they issue. There's also work I do for my own employer, which needs to be done on the laptop they've issued. So, I really do need both, and unfortunately a tablet won't get the job done. I like the idea of something like a pelican case strapped to the bike - I'll have to look into that.
Like I said, though, if I'm in a situation that's bad enough that I have to hoof it from downtown all the way back home because the grid's down or what have you, the laptops are the first to go.

I still feel pretty strongly about getting a new bag though. The material on my current is really thick and dense, and there's really very little support to speak of. I'd like something with lighter-weight, ripstop material or they type used for goruck, maxpedition, and condor gear, thicker shoulder straps, firmer backing, and a waist belt.

Yea, I've done the consultant thing for years... all the extra gear is a huge pain in the tookis. Maybe it's time to get a car! :)

I really think separating your essential gear from your extra work-issued gear is going to take care of most of your problems, because it doesn't sound like your GHB essentials are all that much.

Your list is pretty substantial. Only thing missing is an extra pair of dry socks (Army training 101...)
Assuming that you were on foot because of an EMP or the big one hit, going from downtown to Beaverton on foot wouldn't take all that long. I'm assuming that you had to ditch the bike.
What would you need nutrition wise? A bunch of Cliff bars or a block of Datrex would get you through that journey and wouldn't take up that much space. A life straw would be a reasonable addition. Paracord is cheap and goes a long way. A folding pocket knife would be more than adequate. Keep the weaponry to your primary otherwise you are just carrying around dead weight. The pistol and extra mags should do. As far as back packs, you're not hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. A fancy, over engineered and over priced back pack will just be over kill. Plus, all the hipsters will want to steal it. Check out Maxpedition.com. They have a totally rugged line of back packs and sling bags. I have several of them. Most if not all of them are configured for concealed carry and bladders. They tend to be pricey brand new but I buy mine used on ebay for way less. Their Vulture II 3 day back pack is my favorite. Probably the last packs I will ever buy. Think ahead but don't over think this. Otherwise your bug out pile will grow out of control.

Having riddin a motorcycle for a fee years, I can't imagine commuting in the Portland area...

The winter rain is miserable and carrying a helmet and all the gear would have to get old. Not to mention the complete obliviousness of the drivers up here when it comes to motor cycles.

One wreck, most likely not your fault but a 2 ton vehicles, and your laptops will be trashed and unless your wearing full leathers and a spine protector you could be wrecked as well.

Warm car with cup holders and music would be my preference especially because of the weather and trunk/back seat space for gear.

Is it a parking thing, gas or just because? Just curious, not trying to be judgey or rude.

You can buy a pretty decent commuter car with good gas mileage for what your bike costs.

Done with the thread drift:D.

Maxpidition makes good stuff. I have one of their small satchel type bags for when I don't have enough pockets or am in gym shorts. As with any bag, if there is extra space then your going to pack it full no matter what.

My only issue is that anyone who is a bit savy about guns will recognize it as a tactical bag with all the molly straps they put all over the things. Great for adding smaller bags but useless otherwise for business attire.

having ridden daily for years in a large city I would say using a tank bag might be an option but most are magnetic and might not be kind to your laptops. I used a tank bag and at times a tail bag for when I had more stuff to haul but the tail bag, while large enough for the laptops and possibly all of the gear, was not set up to be used like a backpack once you got off the bike. One of the guys I worked with had a set of tail bags that were like a saddle bag setup with a light frame to hold them in place while riding that would probably work well but you would look like you are carrying cordura saddle bags over your shoulder fresh off your horse.

Hope you find an ideal setup.

Triple Aught Design
Direct Action
Maxpedition

Those are my favorite manufacturers in order for bags. I love me some bags.

That being said, I like some Oakley bags as well, specifically the "Kitchen Sink"
Oakley-Kitchen-Sink-Backpack-01.jpg

They make a few different models, there's a big kitchen I think and a bathroom sink etc (silly names) but they may be what you are looking for if you want to go space/options but not strictly "tactical" looking.

Having riddin a motorcycle for a fee years, I can't imagine commuting in the Portland area...

The winter rain is miserable and carrying a helmet and all the gear would have to get old. Not to mention the complete obliviousness of the drivers up here when it comes to motor cycles.

One wreck, most likely not your fault but a 2 ton vehicles, and your laptops will be trashed and unless your wearing full leathers and a spine protector you could be wrecked as well.

Warm car with cup holders and music would be my preference especially because of the weather and trunk/back seat space for gear.

Is it a parking thing, gas or just because? Just curious, not trying to be judgey or rude.

You can buy a pretty decent commuter car with good gas mileage for what your bike costs.

Done with the thread drift:D.

Maxpidition makes good stuff. I have one of their small satchel type bags for when I don't have enough pockets or am in gym shorts. As with any bag, if there is extra space then your going to pack it full no matter what.

My only issue is that anyone who is a bit savy about guns will recognize it as a tactical bag with all the molly straps they put all over the things. Great for adding smaller bags but useless otherwise for business attire.
Yup, tactical look but not over the top if you don't hang all the accessories on the outside of it. When my kids were little I used one as a diaper bag. Kept the diapers, wipers, and 1911 in it. Nobody paid me any mind.
Regarding the motorcycle commuting, I used to commute from Manassas to DC M-F for a year and a half. Put 18k miles on it during that period. Had this since 97 and not one wreck. Factory hard bags made life great. Do it while you're young though. These days though it's a different game with idiots texting and driving.

IMG_20160913_122900.jpg

Okay! I just awakened from a rotten nights sleep, so have not read all the posts, but have you tried/thought about using a sissy bar?
I commuted every day for over ten years, rain or shine, snow or ice! With the pack sitting on the seat and securely strapped to the sissy bar, it was rock solid and no issues for my back! Sometimes, a big azzed pack too! Oh yeah, the wife loved it! She's a sissy! :D If this isn't news sorry for the time waste!

Maxpedition. I have one for every damn scenario possible. Worth it, absolutely bulletproof, really well thought out pieces of equipment.
Amen brother, solidarity! it's like a crack addiction for me. I even use the big bags for travel gear now.
I'm worse than instructor zero with all of the 5.11 gear he pimps. Lol.

Okay! I just awakened from a rotten nights sleep, so have not read all the posts, but have you tried/thought about using a sissy bar?
I commuted every day for over ten years, rain or shine, snow or ice! With the pack sitting on the seat and securely strapped to the sissy bar, it was rock solid and no issues for my back! Sometimes, a big azzed pack too! Oh yeah, the wife loved it! She's a sissy! :D If this isn't news sorry for the time waste!
If I put a sissy bar on my Concours all the guys in the C.O.G. will razz me and give me the business. Cawasaki.jpg IMG_20160913_122900.jpg

Last Edited:
Amen brother, solidarity! it's like a crack addiction for me. I even use the big bags for travel gear now.
I'm worse than instructor zero with all of the 5.11 gear he pimps. Lol.

Dude, I've got them all. The new duffel is absolutely awesome.

Daily carry, yes, I rock the maxmurses. Buddies will give me the 'nice murse....' look. Shrug it off, I have nothing in my pockets, a fiveseven and 91 rnds on tap, and everything else I could possibly need in an absurdly unlikely scenario...or an impromptu trip to wherever.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top