JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The maps show it will not get to Portland ? The mega wave 50 feet will reach Portland easily.
Today I learned http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archives/2015/feb/study-outlines-impact-tsunami-columbia-river talks about tsunami effect on the Columbia, stating that tides will have more effect than the river flow. What it can't predict is any changes in the Columbia itself caused by the earthquake. Most of my geological studies have been from disaster movies, so I'm no expert but if the path of the river changed the realities would be very different than the projections. Quote from the linked article:

Based on a maximum 9.0 magnitude earthquake and associated tsunami, at the highest tide of the year, the research concluded:
Just offshore, the tsunami would raise water levels about 11.5 to 13 feet.
Just inside the mouth of the Columbia River, the water would rise about 13 feet.
At river mile 6, approaching Hammond, Ore., the river would rise about 10 feet.
At river mile 25, near Welch Island, the river would rise about 1.6 feet.
At river mile 50, near Longview, Wash., there would be no measurable rise in the river.

Anyone brought up comfy hiking shoes Or foot care? Spare socks, foot podwer, vaseline, mole skin..etc.
Some folks (Im sure) on here wear business attire, if you have dress shoes Id highly advise keeping running shoes or hiking shoes in your get home pack.
Spare cord or shoe laces as well. It could be a long bubblegum walk home.
Get rigid arch supports NOW, from a sports footwear store. Prescribed by my Foot & Ankle doctor. Don't wait between now and collapse to get Plantar Fascitis. Just speaking as a professional survivalist...

<broken link removed>

Last Edited:
This is a great thread because it's an important topic and has flavor that's local to me. This sort of conversation is why I ought to spend more time on here.

I would avoid swimming the Columbia or Willamette unless it became absolutely necessary. The distance, current, and depth is brutal. I'm not even sure what the right approach would be. Maybe try and use Ross Island/Govt Island/Hayden Island crossings? If you're not encumbered by gear you can try and sort of swim/float the current and make it if you're experienced but not athletic enough to go straight across?

If I have to bend my metal or some one elses metal , oh well. Punch the 4wd button and put the throttle to it.
My cars are in working order and I'm not afraid of physical damage on the outside of it.

I agree and have confidence you folks won't have any issues, but to others reading and the folks you care for--- be sure you know what you vehicle is capable of. In my lines of work and play I encounter plenty of folks that "thought we could handle it" or "figured I could bail if I went slow" or "didn't think the water was that deep" ...even built and capable 4x4s get defeated by operator judgement. My fiancé and myself both drive mild/stock Jeeps (YJ, XJ, and Liberty 4x4) and I would still error on the side of caution as much as possible because I'd rather have a working vehicle than pop a hole in a radiator or break a U-joint.

--Which brings me to another good point- You all have some amazing gear in your vehicles. I have m work cut out for me. Most I usually keep is basic "overnight" stuff- basic nutrition, cordage, water, blanket, etc.
But due to my background having some basic car fixin' items in the vehicle is what I do. Some people go to the extreme and keep spare parts of all manner with them. I try and keep some necessities that might help to limp me home. Spare electrical wire, U-joint, tire patch kit, air compressor, basic tool kit, hose bypass unions, some hardware, etc... This is my area of personal knowledge so I feel these things would come in useful both for myself and in the event I need to barter.

Above all, maintaining good judgement in times of crisis is going to be critical. The comments about not leaving your vehicle unless you're going all the way and such are huge. Not going lead foot and considering all alternatives as time permits is also huge. In critical moments time inevitably feels like your enemy but it can be your friend. Considering alternative courses may yield better odds. When self and family are at stake taking "the long way home" is hard to consider but should always be considered.

4x4, my EDC and a chew(i dont chew but my inner redneck says i will of SHTF) are my means of getting home.:D

all kidding aside... i have to admit i really dont travel very far from home and when i do i usually have enough crap in my truck i could macgyver just about anything.

This is a great thread because it's an important topic and has flavor that's local to me. This sort of conversation is why I ought to spend more time on here.

I would avoid swimming the Columbia or Willamette unless it became absolutely necessary. The distance, current, and depth is brutal. I'm not even sure what the right approach would be. Maybe try and use Ross Island/Govt Island/Hayden Island crossings? If you're not encumbered by gear you can try and sort of swim/float the current and make it if you're experienced but not athletic enough to go straight across?
For an actual river-sized body of water that absolutely must be crossed, I think the only correct answer is to plan ahead and have some form of boat. Either an actual boat pre-positioned somewhere or an inflatable that you transport with you as part of your regular vehicle preps.
Yeah it'll cost some money, but if people are planning ahead they might find a good used one somewhere to buy

I have an Old school Jeep Wagoneer that is fully stocked for emergencies and situations that would require off roading quite some distance. If stuck in traffic, I have more then enough power and brute force as well as size and mass to move several cars and trucks out of my way.

For an E-quake in Orygun, I would stay put as long as you can (safety first) find a open space free of dangers and camp out. let the panicked folks do what they are going to do. If you are closer then 5 miles and don't have to cross any rivers, then you can try hiking home. Forget swimming, you don't want to be any where near the waters after a quake, think of all the stuff getting flushed into the water system, BAD NEWS!!! As far as a Tsunami coming up the Columbia, No one really knows what will happen, remember, that river is effected by the tide shift all the way to Bonneville Dam and the Willy all the way to the falls. That can be as much as a 13 foot tide shift, if the Flooding hit at the tide shift, you would likely see the most damage, where as at peek low, probably not so much. Its 79 river miles from the mouth to Portland, a very long distance, but we really don't know how the river effects would work out in that situation. If I were a betting man, I would say the river would probably suffer the same effects all the way to Portland as it would at the mouth! Remember, The 9.0 that hit Japan caused tidal waves of 30 feet or more, think what that would do coming up the Columbia which is over a mile wide and shallow at the mouth and narrows to less then half as it comes up stream! I just don't see any predictions being accurate, Until some one sees a big wave surge hit a big river like the Col, I just have a gut feeling it will be like the storm surges and will push a lot of extra water up stream! JMHO

And in Japan,there was plenty of buildings to slow?the water down
I wouldn't believe anything scientist say about what a tsunami would do. One breath they are sensationalizing the event,the next saying it won't go very far up river.
They get paid to speculate.

With all of this talk of the tides and tidal waves, I have only seen one or two talk about the various Dams on the rivers and tributaries, I know of 4 major older dams on the Clackamas, multiple on the Columbia ect. if these let loose from the shifting earth, OC, Portland and all along the Columbia to the coast would have major concerns from the opposite direction. When I worked on the west side and lived on the east, I kept a Kayak and paddle on top of my car to get across, but if the dams break, there may be ALOT of turbulence to subside before the ability to cross.

I also drive a modified jeep with 10,000LB winch with snatch block, straps, tow chain, high-lift jack, 2 cans of fuel, substantial 1st aid kit, and GHB with 3 days worth of living...as well, being active duty, 90% of the time (even out of uniform) I am wearing my "hiking boots". I hope I am ready, but time will tell...

My edc bag is a mini version of my bug out bag... water fire ammo. I have it for a get home bag. Our family plan is to get home gear up and bug out. If we road trip my rifle and ammo come with me as well as my bug out bag. The wife and I both carry and keep 2 spare mags with us. If we couldn't make it home for whatever reason we could still be prepared enough to make a start. I agree with the comment about abandoning your car if shtf.
Traffic being a consideration...if traffic starts to get very heavy I usually try to get to the slow lane so the next exit is available as well as the shoulder.

Depends on whose S was hitting the F.
Remember the car is a death trap If someone is shooting at you. Get out and move laterally away ASAP.
If a natural disaster is brewing or has blown up there's a gallon of distilled water and 2 MRE's per person in the car already along with some towels, TP, gloves, underwear in FoodSaver vac-packs, and other necessities without which, a day can turn really miserable real quick.

Today the wife, three kids and I were on hwy 26 heading into Portland between the 217 exit and Sylvan Hill. Traffic was a stop and pretty soon there were lights and sirens headed in BOTH directions. I actually started getting a little concerned as the only scenario that came to mind was from an episode of Fear the Walking Dead when they were stuck in traffic at the beginning of the zombie outbreak....yeah, I know, aint gonna happen. Then I started thinking what if there was a mass shooter or terrorist attack. There was no way we could turn around in our vehicle. I have four people to look after. We were stuck and I was at a complete loss as to what we should do short of fighting back with 20 rounds of 9mm. If you all were in a similar type situation and the shtf how would you react?
Your pistol isn't a hammer.. well, it is, but try not to think of the world as a nail.
Indeed, the world is full of infinite what-ifs.

Speaking of SHTF traffic....... does anyone here have any ideas of what to do if say a communal location is to the West of Salem proper across the river, and one happens to be stuck in Salem at work, and they got to go across the river to get to their communal location? How would one figure this?
Seeing the West Salem Bridges seems to be always clogged on the westbound bridge.....and this is on normal days.... if SHTF, what's gonna happen to these 4 bridges? (bike/ped bridge, West Salem Westbound, West Salem Eastbound, and Independence-SOuth Salem) I think no matter how one cuts it, they're gonna need a boat or a ferry type to get across the Willamette..... because depending on what exactly happens, all these bridges are gonna be pretty much shutdown with panicking people exiting Downtown Salem....and then you've got the issue of water depth being quite a bit more than usual this year... THis is why I'm not real set on moving to Salem with my fiancee; I'm tryin to talk my current apartment manager into letting the fiancee move in with me and us sucking up the increased costs.... I already have several routes out to Kings Valley that doesn't need to get through towns for the most part, and is mostly rural areas.

I'd rather something more like this ;)
autowp.ru_ford_gpa_2.jpg

Maybe someone could build up a similar version using a CJ frame or TJ frame, and slightly lifted, 2-3" lift and 33" MT tires?

Speaking of SHTF traffic....... does anyone here have any ideas of what to do if say a communal location is to the West of Salem proper across the river, and one happens to be stuck in Salem at work, and they got to go across the river to get to their communal location? How would one figure this?
Seeing the West Salem Bridges seems to be always clogged on the westbound bridge.....and this is on normal days.... if SHTF, what's gonna happen to these 4 bridges? (bike/ped bridge, West Salem Westbound, West Salem Eastbound, and Independence-SOuth Salem) I think no matter how one cuts it, they're gonna need a boat or a ferry type to get across the Willamette..... because depending on what exactly happens, all these bridges are gonna be pretty much shutdown with panicking people exiting Downtown Salem....and then you've got the issue of water depth being quite a bit more than usual this year... THis is why I'm not real set on moving to Salem with my fiancee; I'm tryin to talk my current apartment manager into letting the fiancee move in with me and us sucking up the increased costs.... I already have several routes out to Kings Valley that doesn't need to get through towns for the most part, and is mostly rural areas.

Wheatland Ferry Operating Status

If it is summertime - I think it doesn't run in the winter.

Or you can get over the river via the Independence bridge which in my experience rarely had a lot of traffic when I lived there (decades ago) but I don't think there is that much more traffic now? Maybe people would use it a lot more in a bad situation? But how many people in Salem really know there is a bridge there.

The Newberg bridge (Champoeg) is probably as close as southern bridges - maybe - but going through Newberg/Dundee and then towards McMinnville will probably be very congested with traffic from Portland.

More people are using the Independence bridge these days, especially with the explosive growth in Independence's population..and its mainly of a certain type of person...... to the point that there are many new apartment complexes being built up and selling out, and the traffic in Independence is getting worse than Monmouth. (and this with WOU...) While it is not as bad as the West Salem bridges, it is getting there.

Bridges are a problem.

I am "lucky" in that - other than overpasses/etc. - I only have one river to cross to get home, and it is a short bridge that was built a few years ago, so it is possibly much more resistant to an earthquake. I am less worried about traffic than I am about totally impassable structures that might collapse that I would have a hell of a time bypassing.

UTI0556740_t933x640.jpg

I could probably get west out of Portland by some backroads, but I would have to go quite a ways west to then pass south over Hwy 26 to get home without being blocked by a collapsed overpass - assuming they all collapsed. I think ODOT has a map with ratings of the different bridges and other highway structures as to how resistant they will be to earthquakes.

I would probably windup having to park somewhere and then walk to my kids place - from there get a ride home where my two 4x4 trucks are.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top