JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Recreational shooting of all kinds is the fastest growing participation sport in the UK.

Sporting England - a GOVERNMENT-sponsored financial initiative, is handing out ££££££££ to clubs to improve their facilities - we have had over $300K over the last three years.

I have nineteen guns - but none of them are shotguns - all are rifled Section 1 firearms and two are handguns.

The reason why they cost so much is that those parts made in the USA are specifically for the UK market - gas blocks that are solid, piston tubes that are empty, sear units that cannot be altered, and lowers that cannot take any kind of trigger unit except the permitted mechanism.

Penalties are horrendous, since the crime is an 'absolute offence', IOW, it is indefensible. You ARE going to jail for up to ten years.

tac
UK and Oregon huh? So you live here and own guns in Oregon? If not, you are welcome to try any of mine out (at a range, I still think that is legal) sometime if you are ever in town.

Thanks for the kind offer - mrs tac and me spend around a month or so in OR every year with friends [yes, we have friends], from Portland down to Port Orford and many places in between. I've often shot at Clark Rifles in WA, English Pit in Camus and Izaak Walton near Eugene. And no, I don't own any guns in OR - that is illegal, but yes, it IS legal for me to shoot in the USA, depending on the range rules.

As we don't seem to have met/spoken before, you might care to take a few minutes and see some of my 100+ movie clips on Youtube - tac's guns. Nothing exciting there for most of you guys, I know, but I've been shooting since I was six - that's 63 years ago, and I STILL get great joy out of of it.

Have a look over the last year or so on this site for some of my stuff [show us your guns thread] - like I said, it won't arouse much in the way of interest with you, no doubt, just a look at what other people in a less-tolerant society do for shooting.

I have -

2 x Snider - .577cal
1 x Musketoon .58cal
2 x .308Win
2 x 7x57
2 x 7.5 Swiss
1 x 6.5 Swedish
1 x 45-70 High Wall
7 x 22LR
1 x Ruger Old Army .44cal
1 x Ruger Super Redhawk .357Mag

I reload for everything that is reloadable and cast for the BP stuff.

Many folks in my gun-club have double those numbers, even triple.

tac

Thanks for the kind offer - mrs tac and me spend around a month or so in OR every year with friends [yes, we have friends], from Portland down to Port Orford and many places in between. I've often shot at Clark Rifles in WA, English Pit in Camus and Izaak Walton near Eugene. And no, I don't own any guns in OR - that is illegal, but yes, it IS legal for me to shoot in the USA, depending on the range rules.

As we don't seem to have met/spoken before, you might care to take a few minutes and see some of my 100+ movie clips on Youtube - tac's guns. Nothing exciting there for most of you guys, I know, but I've been shooting since I was six - that's 63 years ago, and I STILL get great joy out of of it.

Have a look over the last year or so on this site for some of my stuff [show us your guns thread] - like I said, it won't arouse much in the way of interest with you, no doubt, just a look at what other people in a less-tolerant society do for shooting.

I have -

2 x Snider - .577cal
1 x Musketoon .58cal
2 x .308Win
2 x 7x57
2 x 7.5 Swiss
1 x 6.5 Swedish
1 x 45-70 High Wall
7 x 22LR
1 x Ruger Old Army .44cal
1 x Ruger Super Redhawk .357Mag

I reload for everything that is reloadable and cast for the BP stuff.

Many folks in my gun-club have double those numbers, even triple.

tac
subscribed.

we have Threat Dynamics near us here. It is only a short indoor range but they allow up to 308 and shotguns. But if you every wanted to shoot one of mine just to see how it handles let me know when you are in town

http://www.threatdynamics.com/

Thank you for your kind offer. We usually fly in to Vancouver BC and take the jazz down to PDX to see the scenery and then hang out in town for a few days with friends there before we all decamp to either Seaside or Cannon Beach for a long weekend. After that we are on our own for a month or so. My great friend in Eugene died a couple of weeks ago, so we might be heading out to spend some time with his wife and family, dunno right now.

I'm not unfamiliar with 'real' guns, having been a full-time Army officer for some 33 years until retiring in 2000 to do other things, but I always like to meet up with another Oregonian who shoots.

Best

tac

That's all fine and dandy for you, but here in UK there are NO centre-fire semi-auto rifles or carbines- that's the law. We therefore have to make do with what we CAN have.

FYI, even the LMT in .308Win IS available as a UK-only straight-pull, for £3500.00 - that's nigh-on $5500. Bare gun, mind, you have to add all the bells and whistles yourself.

It all turned to ratshirt in 1986, when a unmentionable person used his semi-auto AK and M1 carbine clone to slaughter sixteen people in Hungerford.

Almost instantly, all semi-auto centre-fires were made into prohibited firearms, and a gubmint buy-in was begun - no matter how much your gun had cost oyu - £150.00 was the deal. All of mine went to continental Europe where they don't have a problem with such guns.

tac

Are 30 round magazines legal? Looks like they have one in the video Bolus posted.

Also curious, could you have it set up with the charging handle on the left so you don't have to pull your finger away from the trigger? Would there be any restriction on that?

Why?

You can have the real thing.

tac

I'm with Bolus. I think it would be great to have an AR with the potential for bolt gun accuracy, like the new Ruger Precision that @bolus just made me very jealous of by ordering it ;)

It's fun to have semi-auto rifles to shoot, but even that can get a little old after a while, not to mention expensive. What we may save in the cost of a rifle here, we'll probably dump easily in ammo since it's so easy to pull the trigger at the range. I'm finding myself trending more toward things like bolt guns, slowing down a bit and really starting to work on accuracy. So yeah, there are reasons to own such a beast here - just maybe not for $2,500.

If you can find a 500-round magazine you can have it. We don't have any restrictions here on the size of any kind of magazine. Moderators have been legal since they were invented, and all-night shooting using NVDs of one kind or another - AND moderators fitted too - is common, sometimes actually compulsory.

Left or right charging handles are up to you - many SPR here are switchable - have a look at Mark Bradley Guns.

THE restriction is 'only' that it will only fire once on a single pull of the trigger, and that YOU have to either re-cock it, or reload it. Some straight-pulls here are blowback semis - the breechblock is blown to the open position and is released by using a thumb lever - effectively as fast as a semi- with a familiar operator...go figure.

We have many competitions here that took the place of our lost handguns and semi-auto rifles and carbines - the Bisley shoot is called the CSR - Civilian Service Rifle - with run-downs and shooting from many positions. We also replicate IPSC-style stuff using highly-modded semiauto .22RF - South Yorkshire Guns is a big name for this type of gun and is a major Lantec dealer. My shooting buddy, Ewan, is the Desert Tech dealer for the entire UK, BTW.

THE big annual shoot is the Phoenix at Bisley - around 10,000 or so shooters take part in that.

The UK has the largest .50cal Shooting Association outside North America, and we have some of the biggest ranges in Western Europe - up to 4000m in South Wales, for instance and up to 40mm calibre [not that we can have that big a gun - pity though].

The poor mainland Europeans have to come to UK these days - since the British Army left Germany, all the ranges we used there have been turned over to social housing or agriculture, so if the Erics want to shoot more than 300m they all have to come here, where our the majority of our rifle ranges, which we share with the military go up to 1200 yards, often with between fifty and a hundred targets. The Muzzle loading Assoc of GB has its own dedicated BP-only ranges, too.

All is not lost, just seems like that, and remember, that here there is NO RKBA. Some other countries, the Republic of Ireland for instance, make us look like we have no gun laws at all - SERIOUSLY wacky stuff there, and I should know, since I'm the president of the Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland.
upload_2015-10-23_15-31-38.png

[Note Clark Rifles hat]

tac

I just took a guy visiting from the UK out shooting and after we finished shooting the usual semi AR's and 1911 pistols, I pulled out the Thompson and let him experience the thrill of rattling off a 100 rd drum.
He didn't want to let go of it afterward.
He had never shot a firearm before and had the usual guns are bad rhetoric ingrained into him, but that Thompson does something to people after shooting that drum full of .45 acp's on full auto.
The Mac 11 scared him a bit with it's wild rate of fire, but before we were done for the day, he asked one of his friends to video him shooting the Thompson at a pumpkin.
He wanted to show it to all of his friends back home.

Not surprised, really. With only just over a million and a half shooters in a population of almost 65 million it's not much of a surprise, is it?

The vast majority of people have never actually SEEN a real firearm, let alone handled and shot one. Last weekend we had a house-full of neighbours for my wife's BP, and the guy opposite our house was intrigued about where he saw me going most sunday mornings after loading up our station wagon with what appeared to be a load of rifles. Being a full Brit it had never occurred to him to just ask me where I was going...:rolleyes:

So I dug out a couple of rifles for him to see and handle - safely, of course. He was astounded - OK, I mean it, he was astounded, at how heavy they were, how beautifully-made they were, and was just dumbstruck at the thought of actually holding a real gun of any kind. It was an eye-opener for me, too, since I've been a shooter for over ninety per cent of my life and they are no longer life-changing items for me as they obviously were for him.

Just holding my Ruger Old Army was a true revelation for him.

Don't laff, it really isn't funny, just very, very sad.

taC

The best part was the Thompson was set on semi auto for the first couple of rounds and he wasn't very impressed, as the weight of the gun and the full 100 rd drum is real heavy and awkward, but I had purposely left out the fact that it was a real sub machine gun and after I switched it to full auto he was stunned to say the least.
He had no idea that a private citizen could own one of these.

Ah, yes, there is that, too.

Nobody said that it's a poor man's pastime. A guy I know collects post WW2 military jets, and had the gall to call me out because of my 'expensive' taste in what he calls 'toy trains'...

upload_2015-10-23_16-20-2.png
upload_2015-10-23_16-21-25.png

tac

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR