JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like the Animals version of "The House of the Rising Sun".

Old school. But the first version I ever heard. I've read that the song is actually older than the Animals version... who knew?

There was an American Idol contestant that did a great job on it..most are a boring FAIL. And i haven't watched dthe new AI show after opening night. Just can't take the Judges, whining backstories (the Voice does this too), and lame producers.

Old school. But the first version I ever heard. I've read that the song is actually older than the Animals version... who knew?

There was an American Idol contestant that did a great job on it..most are a boring FAIL. And i haven't watched dthe new AI show after opening night. Just can't take the Judges, whining backstories (the Voice does this too), and lame producers.

Yes I knew that Animals didn't write the song.There is a Wikipedia page as well:

The House of the Rising Sun - Wikipedia

TBH those that waited until just recently to get ready just weren't paying attention. If you absolutely need something, go in 10 minutes before they close...get it, get out.

I agree with you.

I can't imagine regular or long time shooters not paying attention or learning from past so called fake/real shortages.

I CAN understand being on a budget when it comes to RF and CF ammo purchases, buying a little at a time, REPLACING what you shoot up immediately, buying a lot over time if you plan your shooting AHEAD of time (One year or whatever.) especially if you are or WERE a high volume shooter, into competition, teaching kids, holding shooting events, etc.

I CAN understand a Newbie at ANY age NOT knowing about such things as fake/real shortages especially if no one ever told them that or they did not hear about it on the news or they did not HANG AROUND other shooters or gun stores or gun forums.

My husband went shooting at our range today. He plinked with his CZ Training Rifle - 22lr. He planned ahead.

He may reload later on this week too. He has reloaded since the early 70's. We are retired too.

Best wishes to every person who may still need something with all of the STUFF going on out there.

Take care and stay healthy! Good shooting to you too!

Cate

Last Edited:
They still had the costco hotdogs. But for how long?

Costco had the Kirkland POLISH hot dogs in stock when my husband was there the other day. I think that they have 14 in a package but I did not get up to look at this since I am typing.

We are having them tonight for dinner! Yummy!

Cate

I bought some ammo cause it was a good deal not panic... in general I keep a little stash. 1100rds of .22lr for $34 and change was hard to pass up. I hit Costco last week no TP, wasn't busy either. People are sheep, anymore.

Well, if there was as issue over 'panic buying' you would have never known by today - went back to Sportsman's today and it was biz as usual. No line at the gun counter and relatively quiet.
Lots of guns gone and all 9mm ammo gone as well but a fair supply of most other calibers - including .22.
I'm thinking this 'panic buy' might be a short lived 'flash in the pan' so to speak!

I bought some ammo cause it was a good deal not panic... in general I keep a little stash. 1100rds of .22lr for $34 and change was hard to pass up. I hit Costco last week no TP, wasn't busy either. People are sheep, anymore.
In the last two weeks, people have learned about uncertainty. Whatever initially drove the Great Toilet Paper Panic of 2020 doesn't really matter. The reality now is that we are now a nation of preppers. That is the end result.

Selling ammo (or anything else) to people at current market prices isn't "stealing". Nor is it price gouging (which is an anti-concept). No one is ever entitled to today's merchandise at yesterday's prices.

Aside from that, ammo has been widely available and cheap for years now. If someone all of the sudden decides that now they need to buy a bunch of it at high prices, well...that's their problem. And frankly, I'd be happy to take their money if they really want to pay stupid high prices.

There are ants and grasshoppers in this world. Every time there's a panic, it quickly becomes clear who is which.

Copied from a national forum where I post;

Ammo, guns, and vehicles are considered luxury items and outside the scope of "anti price gouging" laws.

Water, milk, bread, eggs, gasoline/fuels, fruits/vegetables, fresh foods in general, are essentials/necessities and thus subject to most States' price gouging laws.
Some States include hotel rooms, rents, mortgages. Others say "all consumer goods".

And again, the buyer is 100% responsible for agreeing or not agreeing to buy items at prices determined by the merchants

As a vendor at both gun shows and flea markets, I see my own fair share of consumers who consider prices to be "price gouging"
:rolleyes:

This is the beauty of the mostly free market at work.

Is it price gouging when consumers willingly pay high prices?

Nope! Again,(mostly) free market!

Is it cheating the system when consumers are able to buy things at ridiculously low prices?
Again, nope! (Mostly) free market again!

The OP said:

"I wasn't expecting this until closer to or after the elections, but come on.

All I wanted was some ammo to actually SHOOT, and not hoard. Thankfully I have plenty hoarded, however I like buying ammo as I shoot it.

Sure was enjoying cheap ammo. Guess it was inevitable, I don't see prices dropping between now and Nov."

---------------------

I don't get it. What am I missing here?

If the OP has already been stashing ammo away, then why is it a problem that he now needs some "to actually SHOOT"? Isn't that the entire purpose of stashing ammo away?? So that when other people can't buy it, you are happily shooting the ammo you had the good sense to buy earlier?

I understand wanting to replace what you shoot, but here too that is one of the purposes of stockpiling ammo. So that you don't have to replace what you shoot when prices are high.

And why does the OP complain about hoarding, and then claim he was hoarding in the very next sentence? o_O

What am I missing here? Seems to me that the OP is trying to divide by zero.

UPS just visited again.......a case of 9mm at non panic price for the kid to use up when he needs it. I don't have to reload it for a while, I don't like to anyway.

Agreed, CamoDeafie.

What most people call "price gouging" is actually the market's attempt to more quickly establish economic equilibrium. If there's high demand on a particular product and you don't raise prices, guess what happens? People who don't actually need that product will buy it anyway, simply because it's there and they can. And you then very quickly get genuine shortages.

But when you raise prices in this circumstance, that discourages people from panic buying unless they actually need the product. And when you have fewer people buying because prices are high, that actually gets prices (i.e., supply) back to normal more quickly. (Incidentally, this is precisely why retailers should currently be raising the price of toilet paper! If they doubled the price, people who don't actually need a 4th or 5th package of toilet paper will stop buying it! And the supply situation will more quickly resolve itself.)

Because of this, most "anti price gouging" laws are counterproductive and harmful. Those types of laws actually make the problem worse.

You learn this kind of stuff in Econ 101 classes. But getting the average person to understand it, is like trying to teach a pig to sing. And unfortunately, many people in the firearms-owning community are the worst when it comes to this. I swear I want to scream every time I see a gun owner or politician complain about so-called "price gouging".

"Economics...how does it work again?"

I just want to clarify my views, I don't mind watching the morons scuttling about buying up groceries and T.P.

I've literally had a front row seat all week. My problem stems from my 2A brothers overcharging each other for blaster grade pistol ammo every time they get a chance.

And I love getting lectures on free market economics from anyone who thinks bringing in an extra $50 a day makes them a baller. Get a job already.

The economics aren't hard to understand, but sometimes ethics comes into it. Running down and cleaning out BiMart at the first sign of an ammo scare, so you can peddle it for double, seems like kind of a "Dick thing to do". That's just my opinion though, and honestly not a strongly help opinion.

I have no problem with selling off your surplus for the going rate. Somehow that seems different. Sometimes dealers have to raise their prices too, as you may have less inventory available, increasing costs, and the same overhead. You just have do decide for yourself according to your own ethics and business, as well as how your customers will view it.

That's all Cheaper Than Dirt is doing, but somehow I think their business model in times like this doesn't rely much on ethical concerns. All they're doing with crazy high prices is fishing for a sucker.

It's all academic to me, as I don't buy or sell ammo. Well, actually I do have a little bit of factory ammo in common calibers stashed away. One of these days if demand (and prices) keep up, I might be enticed to sell. :)

Running down and cleaning out BiMart at the first sign of an ammo scare, so you can peddle it for double, seems like kind of a "Dick thing to do". That's just my opinion though, and honestly not a strongly help opinion.

I won't call people like that my "2nd Amendment Brothers".

"My problem stems from my 2A brothers overcharging each other for blaster grade pistol ammo every time they get a chance.

And I love getting lectures on free market economics from anyone who thinks bringing in an extra $50 a day makes them a baller. Get a job already."

---------

That's just it. Selling ammo (or anything else) to you at the current market rate is not "overcharging". It's simply "charging". It can only be "overcharging" if - for some strange reason - you wish to ignore the change in market conditions and think you are entitled to yesterday's price. And why on Earth would anyone just ignore economic reality and think that, unless that person suffered from entitlement mentality??

Unfortunately, many people do need a lecture on free market economics because they don't actually understand how free market economics works. Prices send important signals to the market. In the case of ammo, high prices send this message to producers: "Produce and ship MORE ammo to meet increased market demand." But if retailers instead wish to be "good guys" and don't raise prices, those retailers aren't actually helping. Ironically, they're contributing to and prolonging the shortage! Because in that case everyone will continue to buy ammo whether they need it or not simply because it's still "cheap". (That's just human nature, whether we like it or not.) That creates a shortage to where NO ONE can buy ammo at ANY PRICE!

But when you raise prices sufficiently, people like me who already have enough ammo will instead think twice before buying more. The result? There is actually ammo to buy for people who really need it. And you achieve market equilibrium, and thus lower prices, far more quickly.

In other words: Raising prices during times of high demand is not selfish. Ultimately, not raising prices during high demand is actually more unintentionally selfish and more harmful! But good luck getting the 'Average Joe' to understand this simple economic concept. After all, it's much easier and in a way far more satisfying to think with our emotions rather than logic and reason. (Some of my friends often say, "The problem with liberals is that they think with their emotions rather than logic and reason." To which I always reply, "Oh yeah? Well, just jump on any gun forum when panic buying is occurring. There you will quickly discover that thinking with emotions rather than logic and reason is definitely not the sole province of liberals!")

Here's a great six-minute video that explains why raising prices during periods of high demand is the right thing to do. Seriously, it's worth six minutes of your life:

The Myth of Price Gouging

And if that one isn't exciting enough for you, here's a slightly shorter video echoing the same point:

Is Price Gouging Bad?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top