JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a relative who knows a retired couple down the street. They are HEAVILY invested in the stock market thanks to the husband. I guess he is checking the stocks multiple times a day (if not hourly sometimes). That doesn't sound like a lot of fun, especially if you're retired.

The stock market is a marathon, not a sprint for most folks.

Boss

A little bit of buying at the start today - not surprising, everybody loves a good deal.

And then, wham again, dropped some more.

Watching with interest...

4IRR.gif

I have a relative who knows a retired couple down the street. They are HEAVILY invested in the stock market thanks to the husband. I guess he is checking the stocks multiple times a day (if not hourly sometimes). That doesn't sound like a lot of fun, especially if you're retired.

The stock market is a marathon, not a sprint for most folks.

Boss

The timing for me is that it is a relay race. I want to hand it off to my daughter with the best lead I can give her. So right now there is a chance that I can do better if the market takes a significant (enough) downturn while I am mostly in cash and jump back in at the right time.

We shall see whether that approach will bear any fruit.

I will definitely be poking around right before close for some option. deals on BABA, TSLA and AAPL. I don't think spy is finished dumping. I think it will bounce once in the 320ish range though.

It looks like we got a bounce so it may have bottomed out this morning, but still a couple hours to go.

Two days of declines - assuming no strong volume of buying in the next two hours. It will be interesting to see what Monday and next week brings. Continued declines? Bottoming out? Gradual rally? Strong rally?

Well, the markets dipped at first, but slowly struggled their way back up to shooting distance of the previous close, but were still down about 1%

Looking to me like this is not going to be the downturn I was looking for

obi-wan.jpg

But we'll see.

Yes - Because markets being manipulated for political reasons is a ridiculous thought.:rolleyes:

The market more or less reacts to political conditions, and the bullsh*t put out by mainstream media. When the moves happen, the players move in and take advantage of those moves. Never let a good political crisis or lie go unused.

The market drops, the players move in with algorithmic trading parameters and sit back and pile the bucks up.

Not to mention...... (to be more exact/transparent about media manipulation) the poll numbers and the CCP virus outlook and numbers plays a role.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
The market more or less reacts to political conditions, and the bullsh*t put out by mainstream media. When the moves happen, the players move in and take advantage of those moves. Never let a good political crisis or lie go unused.

The market drops, the players move in with algorithmic trading parameters and sit back and pile the bucks up.

I don't doubt that. What I take leave to doubt is that the opposite cause/effect process is happening; that market players screw with the market to make Trump look bad. After all, I believe that somewhere in that hierarchy are some of the people pulling his strings.

Either way, there is little people like us can do about such shenanigans - at least with regards to impeding them.

that market players screw with the market to make Trump look bad. After all, I believe that somewhere in that hierarchy are some of the people pulling his strings.

The players are loyal to one thing and that is the obscene amount of money that they are making in these market moves. The shear amount of monies made by these is easily in the billions of dollars a day. There could be a hillbilly making moon shine in the Oval Office and the market could really care less. There are attempts made every day to plant news stories and to get people / stocks some kind of movement and if the market moves enough and the algorithms trigger the trading that is how that is accomplished.

Look at the number of stories coming out about various stocks. If the market moves on them 5% one way or another they have multiple algorithms running each way. The players will not be making huge movements in the market, it would have to be another outside geo-political to risk much when the election is 60 days out. You will start seeing a fair amount of market uncertainly soon.

In these financial markets the main stream media is just as bad as the other domestic news. Generated and filtered by a lot of liberal sorts who control damn near the entire media market. Listening to any main stream news outlet and using that as decision basis for financial decisions will ruin you real fing fast.

I have moved a lot of my holdings around and found a really good mix who has me up 7% for the year and that includes loss recovery from the March time frame.

If Trump is reelected the markets will continue on as they have. If he were to lose and Sleepy Joe is in there, there will be a quick period of selling and some profit taking and then the markets will clamp down and see what the eventual shake out there will be.

The players are loyal to one thing and that is the obscene amount of money that they are making in these market moves. The shear amount of monies made by these is easily in the billions of dollars a day. There could be a hillbilly making moon shine in the Oval Office and the market could really care less. There are attempts made every day to plant news stories and to get people / stocks some kind of movement and if the market moves enough and the algorithms trigger the trading that is how that is accomplished.

Look at the number of stories coming out about various stocks. If the market moves on them 5% one way or another they have multiple algorithms running each way. The players will not be making huge movements in the market, it would have to be another outside geo-political to risk much when the election is 60 days out. You will start seeing a fair amount of market uncertainly soon.

In these financial markets the main stream media is just as bad as the other domestic news. Generated and filtered by a lot of liberal sorts who control damn near the entire media market. Listening to any main stream news outlet and using that as decision basis for financial decisions will ruin you real fing fast.

I have moved a lot of my holdings around and found a really good mix who has me up 7% for the year and that includes loss recovery from the March time frame.

If Trump is reelected the markets will continue on as they have. If he were to lose and Sleepy Joe is in there, there will be a quick period of selling and some profit taking and then the markets will clamp down and see what the eventual shake out there will be.
Funny thing is, many make money whether it's a up or down day. I wish I had the balls to play with options but it seems a bit too complicated for me.

Funny thing is, many make money whether it's a up or down day. I wish I had the balls to play with options but it seems a bit too complicated for me.

I am given to understand that many trading platforms allow a trader to buy at a set and sell at set prices. If a person is willing to be patient, has enough to invest, and the platform works quickly enough, then volatility would work well for them - especially if the platform allows fractional shares. Buy at $10, sell at $20 and you double your money. If I could make $1-$2K a month, and the fees are minimal, then it would be worth the effort.

I may take it up now that I have free time.

I am given to understand that many trading platforms allow a trader to buy at a set and sell at set prices. If a person is willing to be patient, has enough to invest, and the platform works quickly enough, then volatility would work well for them - especially if the platform allows fractional shares. Buy at $10, sell at $20 and you double your money. If I could make $1-$2K a month, and the fees are minimal, then it would be worth the effort.

I may take it up now that I have free time.

I use TDAmeritrade as it seems to be one of the better ones. No trade fees on most stocks or options and one of the best pre and post market trading hours. Whatever you do STAY AWAY FROM ROBINHOOD. I really would suggest several youtube videos on just terminology and different ways to limit your exposure. Might want to also research charting. I use a pay for play service that helps with due diligence and charting of critical price points and other things.

The market can only disconnect from the broader economy by so much. We're still in the midst of a massive economic recession with an 8%+ unemployment rate, millions out of work, hundreds of thousands of businesses shuttered (many for good), and a massive GDP contraction that will take a few years to dig out of.

Did it make sense for the markets to be at all time highs when corporate profits across a broad section of the economy took a major hit? Tech profits were way up, but tech only accounts for a small portion of consumer spending. And that $600/week boost to unemployment plus PPP loans to payrolls which kept people buying things for the past 6 months ran out.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top