JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Russian maintenance is in a class by itself, so there's that. The sanctions have reduced Russian aviation maintenance to Soviet-Era levels, and perhaps worse.

Any jet engine can have an uncontained failure, which breaks through the fire-resistant features of the design. These are very rare, because the design factors are quite extreme. The most common cause for an uncontained failure is an out-of-balance situation of the rotating parts, which turn at very high speeds for their size and weight. It is not possible to prevent every possible failure from becoming uncontained, and sometimes combinations of factors can upset the apple cart.

Kind of like having a crash-resistant automobile, but being caught between two loaded dump trucks.

This design feature didn't work for the Russian IL-76 that crashed earlier this year. But maybe Russian aerospace engineering is different. The Russian Defense Military said an engine caught fire on takeoff, which is always a critical moment in aviation.
I just re-read your post, and realized that the Russian Defense Ministry must have been the operator. My earlier comments on Russian maintenance still apply, except that historically, Russian military maintenance is much worse than their civil sector, and in no way should be compared to maintenance of Civil Aviation in advanced nations.

Go to the Wikipedia page for the IL-76 and scroll down the the "Accidents" section. For the number in service, the accident rate is quite high. This should be a tip-off.

At least this time is was a plane 25 years old. Sounds like Boeing had nothing to do with this one but of course the news leaves that part out of the story till well into the thing. There has been a definite attack on Boeing going on. Not that they are helping things but, again this was poor maintenance but they promptly blame Boeing . Sounds like some other maker must be doing some heavy donation's to the right people.
25 years is approaching End of Life for a cattlecar, IIRC the FAA limit is 30 years OR 30,000 takeoff/landing cycles whichever runs out first. For perspective, averaging so they both run out together you'd e flying that plane on a thousand flights a year, around 3 takeoffs and landings a day 7 days a week no days off. Scheduled maintenance and deep-teardown inspections add No Fly Days into the mix, though.

The most common cause for an uncontained failure is an out-of-balance situation of the rotating parts, which turn at very high speeds for their size and weight.
Like some turning part spinning fast and tearing through a presumed barrier in the engine case? I'm sure that happens. I was at a demolition derby many years ago, a big piece of flywheel tore through a car, went through the air, then landed next to me in the grandstands. It made a big gouge in the wood bench. Had it hit me in the head, I'd would've been severely injured or dead.

The C919 has been in work for about 20 years
Didn't the Boeing Company basically teach the Chinese how to make those? By "partnering" with Chinese companies to build Boeing parts for less than they cost to make in the US?

The C919 has a lot of non-Chinese component parts, bought from willing sellers in the US and elsewhere, but over time, they will copy these and make them at home as well.

It doesn't matter if the C919 won't be any more technically advanced than a Boeing or Airbus craft, because as a state-owned enterprise, COMAC will undersell the other two companies.

It may be prove to be an unwise expenditure for the Boeing Company to paint the rusty air ducts on the Everett plant.

Didn't the Boeing Company basically teach the Chinese how to make those? By "partnering" with Chinese companies to build Boeing parts for less than they cost to make in the US?

The C919 has a lot of non-Chinese component parts, bought from willing sellers in the US and elsewhere, but over time, they will copy these and make them at home as well.

It doesn't matter if the C919 won't be any more technically advanced than a Boeing or Airbus craft, because as a state-owned enterprise, COMAC will undersell the other two companies.

It may be prove to be an unwise expenditure for the Boeing Company to paint the rusty air ducts on the Everett plant.
At one time, China was the only country where an aerospace sub was building Boeing and Airbus parts in the same facility.

That's called training future domestic aerospace employees and engineers.

30 years of outsourcing, in all industries, is about to come full circle on the West.

Wow, the insight shown by the staff at CNN! I worked in commercial aviation at Boeing for 46 years and never knew this!
1710897585765.jpeg

Documentary on 787 South Carolina plant. Workers say it's botched together/planes are unsafe and many workers on drugs. Skip to 24:00 mark

View: https://youtu.be/rvkEpstd9os?si=g9bieVrhtMsgAcNt

23 Boeing employees charged by dea with dealing drugs on Boeing property in 2011, including the head of the union. Sounds like Boeing has a drug problem.

This location is small and is not involved in commercial airline manufacturing. It is also not the same union.

Boeing CEO taking the golden parachute and stepping down before the you know what hits the fan. Also the board director will step down. Some other leaders also. They are all jumping the sinking ship.

Boeing is in big trouble. The outsourced everything and sacrificed quality. The planes are still flying around and just a matter of time before another fatal crash. This is going to take a massive restructuring by Boeing to fix. They are going to actually have to start producing things themselves again instead of outsourcing everything.

The current situation is the result of several bad decisions made over the past 25-30 years. Without mentioning names, I'll just say the merger with McDonnell Douglas, moving the corporate headquarters from Seattle to Chicago, locating the 787 sub-assembly plant in South Carolina just to avoid labor unions, hiring some CEOs who had run their previous companies into the ground, hiring some CEOs who were bean counters and did not have a solid engineering background, making DEI initiatives the priority instead of quality control.

The current situation is the result of several bad decisions made over the past 25-30 years. Without mentioning names, I'll just say the merger with McDonnell Douglas, moving the corporate headquarters from Seattle to Chicago, locating the 787 sub-assembly plant in South Carolina just to avoid labor unions, hiring some CEOs who had run their previous companies into the ground, hiring some CEOs who were bean counters and did not have a solid engineering background, making DEI initiatives the priority instead of quality control.
That about sums it up

And having a p*ss-sucking, papershuffling Beancounter whose previous post is Head of IT be the new head of BCA will be more poison in its veins rather than the PLANEBUILDER medicine it needs.

Go woke, go broke. Plays out again and again. :(

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews