JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cowling comes off 737-800 today had to make emergency landing.

1712522894607.jpeg

IYKYK

Last Edited:
United pilot pushes window back in before takeoff. :s0112: :s0114:

It appears to me that the crew member was not replacing a window. Replacing a window is not a quick and easy task, and has to be done by the ground maintenance crew. He is putting back in place the plastic trim that goes around the window. Like putting a picture frame around a picture. The trim piece is cosmetic only and does not impact the integrity of the window.

I was getting on an airplane a couple of years ago.

Entering the plane the pilot was was standing at the entrance of the flight deck greeting passengers as we came on....He said hello....I responded by asking him if we were going to be lucky today....the look of concern that came over his face was unsettling...that wasn't the response i was expecting.

Earlier that day my 5AM flight out of Eugene was delayed 7 hours while they fixed the plane....apparently, on his pre-flight walkaround, the pilot found something (a screen of some sort) hanging out the back of an engine.

Then the connecting flight out of Denver was delayed hours because they didn't have a crew.

It took 24 hours to fly from Eugene to Daytona Beach.

But on the bright side.....think about how much worse it would be if the White House Vegetable didn't appoint an unqualified pervert as Secretary of Transportation.

I read a report many years ago that said if a passenger gets up and starts saying, "Get me off this flight, it's going to crash," there's a very good chance the plane really will crash, like 1 out of 7. Apparently there's a lot of intuitive flyers out there.

Another whistleblower came out about the 787. Apparently he hasn't been suicided yet. :s0131: :s0112:

9F81E524-6B02-4B28-8F5B-AF90D76B74A4.jpeg

Last Edited:
I read a report many years ago that said if a passenger gets up and starts saying, "Get me off this flight, it's going to crash," there's a very good chance the plane really will crash, like 1 out of 7. Apparently there's a lot of intuitive flyers out there.
I think it would be very difficult to come up with such a statistic. There are so many variables involved, mostly the reporting of such occurrences. There are lots of things that can and do occur on flights, not the least of which is turbulence. People who have not flown much can have very high anxiety levels over normal sounds, such as the flaps and landing gear retracting after takeoff. Turbulence is a whole different beast. Even seasoned travelers can loose faith in the integrity of the airplane when severe turbulence is encountered. I have been on 747s that shook so violently that I bet 350 or more on board experienced elevated heart rates and thought for sure a wing would soon disengage from the body. But these people generally don't report their thoughts of the airplane crashing to any agency. And the 1 passenger in 7 who though the plane would crash, if it did crash, and he died, then his premonition would not have been recorded.
When I worked in Boeing Commercial aviation marketing years ago, the company took safety as the number one priority. There are lots of sources at the US federal level that contain data that has to be reported, such as the number of flights, dates, times, safety incidents. The probability of a flight having an incident resulting in a crash is 0.000001%.

1712706479528.jpeg

The probability of anyone dying in a crash is even smaller:

1712706752845.jpeg

As Wee pointed out earlier (post #83), the crew member was not replacing a window, but just a piece of trim around the window opening in the plastic interior panel. This is not a "repair" that would require a logbook entry. In fact, a Cabin Attendant could have done a similar repair with Duct Tape and still be perfectly legal.

The "Press" has found something to blow out of proportion to scare people, because they profit from it.

I will point out that just because the person doing the work has a pilot uniform on, it is not reasonable to assume that that person is not a licensed aircraft mechanic. I hold both an Airline Transport Rating as a pilot, and an Airframe and Powerplant Rating as a mechanic. I know many others that hold both pilot and mechanic ratings. It is actually pretty common.

As Wee pointed out earlier (post #83), the crew member was not replacing a window, but just a piece of trim around the window opening in the plastic interior panel. This is not a "repair" that would require a logbook entry. In fact, a Cabin Attendant could have done a similar repair with Duct Tape and still be perfectly legal.

The "Press" has found something to blow out of proportion to scare people, because they profit from it.

I will point out that just because the person doing the work has a pilot uniform on, it is not reasonable to assume that that person is not a licensed aircraft mechanic. I hold both an Airline Transport Rating as a pilot, and an Airframe and Powerplant Rating as a mechanic. I know many others that hold both pilot and mechanic ratings. It is actually pretty common.

I'd actually feel more trusting of a mechanic who is also a pilot.

The truth is.....

My son was at one time an aircraft mechanic. He worked as an enlisted man for the USMC on their AV-8s. When he got out, he worked for an aircraft maintenance facility. He wasn't "FAA Certified" at that time so, he was "limited" as to what he could actually do. He wasn't satisfied with the job. Rrrrright......according to him, fast food workers in CA got more money for a lot less stress. Anyway, he quit.

LOL, Rrrright..."Dats not my yob."

And now.......he is taking lessons to become a pilot. Yeah, his dream is to one day become a commercial pilot. Cough, cough. BTW.....he doesn't get to use his GI Bill. "Flight School" is not covered unless it's under some particular criteria. So, guess who is paying the bills?

BTW, to add insult to injury.......I own quiet a few shares of BA.

OMG! Am I doomed?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I've heard that the Evergreen Air Museum is considering replacing the 747 sitting on top of the swimming pool building.
The new attraction, called "One way ticket to inferno" will involve a jump down a 737's flaming escape slide.

well...that's what I heard !

I've heard that the Evergreen Air Museum is considering replacing the 747 sitting on top of the swimming pool building.
The new attraction, called "One way ticket to inferno" will involve a jump down a 737's flaming escape slide.

well...that's what I heard !
Found a pic online of the entrance:

40E2DD10-7F88-4315-874B-FF7BE6140EAA.jpeg

I know that for many years some at AOPA have encouraged such dual-rating, frequently going for A&P first because understanding the care and feeding of your machine gives you a better eye for your preflights. Similar to how Kelly Johnson at the Skunk Works insisted he had to do at least one high-performance test flight every year because he felt that "if I don't have the living hell scared out of me in a cockpit regularly I'll lose my perspective on designing planes."

The "Press" hates blue collar people who earn 6-figure incomes and are enjoying this opportunity to tee off on Boeing.

Commercial flying is safer than it has ever been. All you have to do is look back through the decades at NTSB reports. The perceived threat to public safety has been blown way out of proportion IMO. As gun owners I thought we might be more sensitive to spin and BS.

I think it would be very difficult to come up with such a statistic. There are so many variables involved, mostly the reporting of such occurrences. There are lots of things that can and do occur on flights, not the least of which is turbulence. People who have not flown much can have very high anxiety levels over normal sounds, such as the flaps and landing gear retracting after takeoff. Turbulence is a whole different beast. Even seasoned travelers can loose faith in the integrity of the airplane when severe turbulence is encountered. I have been on 747s that shook so violently that I bet 350 or more on board experienced elevated heart rates and thought for sure a wing would soon disengage from the body. But these people generally don't report their thoughts of the airplane crashing to any agency. And the 1 passenger in 7 who though the plane would crash, if it did crash, and he died, then his premonition would not have been recorded.
When I worked in Boeing Commercial aviation marketing years ago, the company took safety as the number one priority. There are lots of sources at the US federal level that contain data that has to be reported, such as the number of flights, dates, times, safety incidents. The probability of a flight having an incident resulting in a crash is 0.000001%.

View attachment 1860389

The probability of anyone dying in a crash is even smaller:

View attachment 1860390
Just to let you know, the story was from back in the 1990s, pre-9/11. I haven flown since around 2003, before things got really crazy in the airports and on airplanes. Back in the 1990s I used to run to the connecting flight to see if I could get onto an earlier flight, and it usually worked. I doubt that can happen today, but then I don't know, because I avoid airports now.

We flew Southwest to Texas and back recently. Four flight legs total. Only a problem with the final leg home. The 737-700 departure was delayed due to a problem with the flight computer. Apparently turning it off and back on again did not fix it, so they directed a different 737-700 that just landed to our gate and we finally boarded two hours late.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top