JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Survival Bag/ B.OB

S&W M&P 40 - 5 mags
Wasr-10 Ak 47 Underfolder 4 mags
Ontario M-9 Bayonet w/ Bianchi tactical sheath(survival and combat knife)
Gerber pocket knife and a Leatherman multi tool
Swiss Army pocket knife- tool (on my keychain :)

Water + Water Purification System
3 MRE's, Energy bars and some candy for sugar
Regular and windproof lighters, matches and magnesium fire starter
Military poncho
1 crank flashlight w/ radio and signal light
1 flashlight w/ spare batteries
American Redcross Wilderness First Aid KIT
2 Compasses and Sunglasses
Map of Oregon and Portland
Camo t shirt, socks and ski mask.
Binoculars
Tarzan M32 Vest w/ tactical belt
All this is packed in a 5.11 72 hour rush backpack(except the vest and weapons which will be on me ofcourse :)
any thoughts or comments pls reply

P.S - that's not all but all the major stuff I included.

Kenno,

Odd of you to be on this forum if you hate firearms?

Just odd.

Anyways, looking at any good "survival kit" A good firearm and knife should be on the top of the list. Have you seen "Out of the Wild" on the Discovery Channel?

Water, fire making supplies, food and shelter. It's all about basics. All the other details are for comfort. The firearm falls under protection and food gathering.

I have always stated that a really good "beefed up" camping set up should cover most needs. Remember to have enough supplies (water and food for each member of the family for at least 2 weeks).

1) You can use it
2) Cycle the water and food everytime you go camping so to keep everything fresh and ready
3) You know you have it and how to use it (stove, tent, etc).

It's recommended for 3 days but in any major event you'll be out of luck for at least a week. The extra week is to buffer your needs so you can focus on other things than gathering food. Remember to have extra batteries too!

I've gotta say, I hate firearms too. Dad gave me some when I was a kid, and man that was awesome. So I turn 18, run in and grab myself a 10/22, little money right on, then I go buy some ammo..still alright, but I'd like something with a bit more bang, grab a rifle and some rounds, but its cumbersome for hunting, and get a 30-30. Then I turn 21, gotta get myself a 1911, wow, I've spent a bit, but its not QUITE right...a bunch of handguns later and countless boxes of rounds, I hate guns! I could have bought myself a brand new 'vette by now! Speaking of, I should go see what they've got at the gunstore, my survival kit needs an AR-7 ;) (relevance to thread added: AR-7 or Explorer, awesome survival gun for the kit for $200~)

These are all good lists of some very needed things to have when you need them, but where is the toilet tissue?:D
See below in Red

Originally Posted by PDXGS
For firestarting there's a relatively new product on the market called Wetfire.
It's a rocket fuel-derived compund which comes in individually wrapped packages and works in wet windy conditions. I voluterr with a local Search and Rescue group and was able to start a signal fire on snow, in the rain using this product to get the wet tinder started. I also carry a 24 hour pack with the 10 essentials
Map
Compass
Flashlight-Led headlamp
Food
Water
First Aid Kit
Firestarter
Dry clothing-Polyester & wool baselayers
Shelter making materials-A heavy duty garbage bag & space blanket
Knife- a Gerber Multitool and Gerber fixed blade

I also have a signal mirror, whistle, GPS, spare batteries, dry socks, water purifying tablets or drops and vitamin C to neutralize the iodine, toilet paper, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, leather gloves, and a stainless Sierra cup.

All this is carried in a Coaxsher modular pack which has a CamelBack pouch

When I'm not on duty I carry a S&W 360PD .357 Scandium revolver with 15 rounds of backup ammunition.

If I had to bug out I'd include a radio, antibiotics an AR and 12 gauge in a larger military pack.

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess the reason why people don't list knives in their kit is because they already have them on their body. Kind of like putting socks on your feet in the morning, knife (Pre-BHO Ban) goes in the pocket.

SF-

Possible. All I know is that I'm as big a knife nut as gun nut. I always carry a 4" fixed blade on my hip. When going out in the woods I will throw my folding knife in the pack just in case. Depending on the trip I might slap my 7" fixed blade on my pack. I usually convince myself to leave that one at home while backpacking though.

Can some either explain to me or give me the link to the thread where it explains what ban Obama put on knives? Ive seen alot of people mentioning this, but never actually found out why. Did Obama put a ban on certain knives? THX

I do a lot of backpacking, so the lighter the better for me:

Matches
socks
mole skin
a pocket size tissue(doubles as toilet paper)
hard candy
a mini pack of playing cards( to keep your spirits up or to help start a fire)
iodine tablets
big garbage bag (to be made into rain coat or sleeping bag)
small mirror
plastic wissel
a very small first aid kit with cloth tape, guose, bandaides, achohol pads, wetnaps.
a tealight candle
a small bible
a road flare( use as a signal or to start a fire in the worst conditions, I dont go anywhere without one)
I put all this stuff in the socks then vacumm pack it. it will never get wet, it will float and it will stay fresh for a very long time. I put the stuff in the socks so there will not be any sharp corners sticking out to rub agains anything and where through the vacumm bag.

I always carry my leatherman on me when hiking so no knife in my pack

Large MOLLE pack, with a bag attached to the side, a work in progress:
Big Swiss poncho
Notebook (too big), pen
Cash (bills too big unless inflation), Alternate currency
Two pairs of socks and underwear
MRE (too few, too big)
50 ft. #550 cord
T-shirt, pants, long-sleeve shirt
Long underwear, thermal shirt
Sundry medicine cabinet things (that i might not need)
Batteries (maybe a bit too long-term an item)
Collapsible rubber basin
Space blanket, disposable tent (highly compact)
Canteen, small aluminum pot (should replace with canteen/cup combination)
Two disposable lighters, fuel packets, flint and magnesium
Compass
Hand sanitizer, water-purification tablets
Zytel silverware (easy to clean)
Pocket knife with red light
Mora sheath-knife
Flashlight
Sewing kit
Mosquito head-net
Flossers, toothpaste
Light sleeping bag and warm liner

Needs:
Dried food, Clif bars and the like, hot sauce
A different canteen with a metal cup
Water-proof liner for sleeping bag
Wash cloth
Fishing line, hooks, bait
Small hand-ax
Multi-tool
Air handgun
Magnifying glass
Water-purifying straw

On the way:
A second detachable pouch
Sanitizing cloths
Canned heat
Tri-fold shovel

I also have a large ALICE pack with about the same capacity, but i like the MOLLE pack for its way of distributing weight; the ALICE pack kind of juts out, but facilitates a belt-mounted pack, i suppose.

I'll be narrowing the essentials into the detachable pouches.

Depending on circumstances, i'm at least bringing a handgun in a UTG hip pack. It will do, but it's slow to unzip.

Did i win the longest post award?

First aid kit
repair kit (wire, sewing needles, dental floss (best thread ever), duct tape)
Ti cookset
rain wear
25 1 gal bottles of Jack
Honda Generator
10 gal of gassoline
Ice machine
150 red plastic cups
40 cases of coke
bow saw
knife
rope
tarp