JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got a couple, divided among them is:

Small Med Kit
Condoms
Revolver/s and ammo
Clif Bars
Kleenex (the pocket size)
MSR backpacking stove and fuel
Prepaid cell phone
2 way radios
Fishing line/reel/powerbait(no rod)
Firestarter
Folding chainsaw (fits in an altoids tin)
Cash money
Copies of passport/birth certs/drivers licenses
Compass
Whistle
Soap
Water purifier and tablets
and some other random stuff....

A few things that I would suggest.

Dr. Scholls Moleskin in the medkit. When you need to do a bunch of walking in whatever shoes you put on that morning you run a real risk of rubbing parts of your feet raw. Putting on some moleskin at the first sign of rubbing can save the day.

Socks. Maybe a pair of thin ones so you can double up for the same reason as above.

Water. Not just a way to purify water you find. That is important also. But you should have a couple of bottles ready to go. When you do find a water source that you can purify you will need bottles to put it in anyways. I have a few large capacity Playtapus collapsible water bottles that I take camping.

The only survival kits we have right now are the ones we keep in my truck and wife's van - we figure if we're going to have to go anywhere that's where we'll start as we have two small kids.
I only have a basic one in my truck.
It has been a work in progress for the last few years.

My current truck kit (in a camelbak type back pack) has:
Water
First Aid kit with additional dressings and bandages
Energy bars
Foil type survival blanket
Bleach (3 oz container)
Waterproof matches
Mini-flares
Bayonet
2 Glock 19 magazines - will fit my G19 and her G26
Whistle
Compass
Flashlight

The full van kit is geared for everything we need for 72 hours and is not really very portable.
Water
Food (canned)
Water purification pump
MSR Whisperlite
Mess tins
Wind up radio/flashlight/signal light
Bleach
Soap
Big first aid kit
Flare gun and flares
Wet ones disinfectant wipes
Change of clothes for each person including shoes
Sleeping bags
Diapers (for the kids to sleep in)
Flashlights
Ponchos

I'm probably missing a bunch of stuff that's in there, but we also need to repack the kits and consolidate. It's been a few months since we last did this and the kids have grown and one has been potty trained that wasn't previously.

The biggest thing I go back and forth on is whether or not I keep a rifle in my truck as a truck gun. I keep thinking that I'm out of the house most of the time and my truck is almost always with me so worst case scenario if I can't get home (city), our plan is to meet at our 10 acre rural property 30 minutes out of town, where we have a travel trailer and will soon have a pole barn structure. Oh and the rifle I occasionally do keep in the truck is my AR57 with 2 loaded 50 round magazines. I'd hate to see the headlines if I get pulled over and the cops find that!

Mine is a work in progress.

Items in bag already:
Glock 17 and 2 loaded mags.
Fenix TK-10 flashlight
Kershaw leek
2 complete MREs
water bottle

still need:
compass
PDX area map
first aid kit/gunshot trauma kit with Quick Clot
survival blanket
Fire starters

Mine is a "Get Home Bag" in case I need to walk from Portland to my home in Vancouver with chaos around me.

As we have established in a previous forum (2012), I would have a cell phone and ContractPilots number so he could fly me away from the huge title wave coming in!!!

For firestarting there's a relatively new product on the market called <broken link removed> .
It's a rocket fuel-derived compund which comes in individually wrapped packages and works in wet windy conditions. I voluterr with a local Search and Rescue group and was able to start a signal fire on snow, in the rain using this product to get the wet tinder started. I also carry a 24 hour pack with the 10 essentials
Map
Compass
Flashlight-Led headlamp
Food
Water
First Aid Kit
Firestarter
Dry clothing-Polyester & wool baselayers
Shelter making materials-A heavy duty garbage bag & space blanket
Knife- a Gerber Multitool and Gerber fixed blade

I also have a signal mirror, whistle, GPS, spare batteries, dry socks, water purifying tablets or drops and vitamin C to neutralize the iodine, toilet paper, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, leather gloves, and a stainless Sierra cup.

All this is carried in a <broken link removed> modular pack which has a CamelBack pouch

When I'm not on duty I carry a S&W 360PD .357 Scandium revolver with 15 rounds of backup ammunition.

If I had to bug out I'd include a radio, antibiotics an AR and 12 gauge in a larger military pack.

I'm wondering why only a few of you have a knife in your kit. To the folks who have a foil survival blanket, have you ever seen a seminar by Peter Cumberfelt. Not sure if I spelled his last name right or not. If you haven't, you should. I carry what is basically the equivalent to a big orange highway garbage bag. They are way more durable and as he shows, much easier to use one handed. Try opening and unfolding an emergency blanket with a broken arm.

Kept in a Nalgene water bottle:
2 lighters
compass with mirror
three blade folding pocket knife
300' of bright flagging tape spooled on a nail
AA maglight
50 gallon trash bag
one of those cheap little carabiners.

Enough stuff to get me home or found.

For firestarting there's a relatively new product on the market called <broken link removed> .
It's a rocket fuel-derived compund which comes in individually wrapped packages and works in wet windy conditions. I voluterr with a local Search and Rescue group and was able to start a signal fire on snow, in the rain using this product to get the wet tinder started. I also carry a 24 hour pack with the 10 essentials
Map
Compass
Flashlight-Led headlamp
Food
Water
First Aid Kit
Firestarter
Dry clothing-Polyester & wool baselayers
Shelter making materials-A heavy duty garbage bag & space blanket
Knife- a Gerber Multitool and Gerber fixed blade

I also have a signal mirror, whistle, GPS, spare batteries, dry socks, water purifying tablets or drops and vitamin C to neutralize the iodine, toilet paper, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, leather gloves, and a stainless Sierra cup.

All this is carried in a <broken link removed> modular pack which has a CamelBack pouch

When I'm not on duty I carry a S&W 360PD .357 Scandium revolver with 15 rounds of backup ammunition.

If I had to bug out I'd include a radio, antibiotics an AR and 12 gauge in a larger military pack.

Pretty close to what I carry in my T4 pack. About the only change to mine would be my Glock knife. They are not the best knives, but it was cheap, works for what I need, and fits perfectly in a spare space in my pack. It has also held up to all the abuse that I have pit it through. In addition I carry a GI poncho and a small/thin wool blanket that I have modified to work as a liner.

Don't forget the sterno, lightweight, cheap and a great way to get water heated/food cooking fast without having to stop and setup a full on fire if you're not setting down for the night.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top