JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do a lot of backpacking, so the lighter the better for me:

Matches
socks
mole skin
a pocket size tissue(doubles as toilet paper)
hard candy
a mini pack of playing cards( to keep your spirits up or to help start a fire)
iodine tablets
big garbage bag (to be made into rain coat or sleeping bag)
small mirror
plastic wissel
a very small first aid kit with cloth tape, guose, bandaides, achohol pads, wetnaps.
a tealight candle
a small bible
a road flare( use as a signal or to start a fire in the worst conditions, I dont go anywhere without one)
I put all this stuff in the socks then vacumm pack it. it will never get wet, it will float and it will stay fresh for a very long time. I put the stuff in the socks so there will not be any sharp corners sticking out to rub agains anything and where through the vacumm bag.

I always carry my leatherman on me when hiking so no knife in my pack

why a bible if your god let you get into this situation do you really expect help

I dont want to get into a religous or spiritual debate, becouse that is not what this forum is for, but since you asked, I will give you a short answer.

No, I dont expect help from god.

God gave me freedome of choice, When I make a bad choice and get myself into a situation I dont expect help from god.

The bible is for 2 things:

1. Like most christians, reading the bible helps calm me down and clear my mind. Then hopefully I can make the right desicion to get out alive. In a survival situation panic will help kill you faster than anything!

2. I dont think I would ever go this far but, It doubles as firestarter (just like the playing cards). The very very thin and dence paper burns great and you have thousands of pages of it. If you are wanting to biuld a small lightweigh pack. you have to carry things that have more than one purpose.

Another thing I carry If I am going on a very long packpacking trip is a vacumm bag of dried dog food. Dont laugh, I am serious. heres why:

I calorie count everything and bring exactly the amount of food I will need for each day of the trip, based on the lengh of the hike for each day. Every day I am hungry. I have a bigger apatite that the caloric intake. I am hungery every day. If I bring normal food for a survial pack then I find myself eating it when I am hungery, instead of when I need it. When I bring dog food I dont eat it. Whell I havent had to yet. dog food is high in fat and calories you dont have to heat it up, it wont melt if it is way to hot outside, you can eat it if is is frozen, all around it is great survival food(whell exept for the taste).

...but I am looking for a larger backpack style rig to consolidate it.

I built my pack with the idea of being stranded somewhere remote for a day or two because of weather or natural disaster...not so much for bug out scenarios.

I currently have one pack that is mostly tools I will need. Such as...

-gun (H&K USPc)
-ammo (.40S&W)
-hatchet
-knife
-crank flashlight
-thermal blanket
-bow saw
-tent
-poncho
-water purification tablets
-signal mirror
-rope
-hand warmers
-compass
-shovel
-collapsible water tote
-magnesium fire starter
-matches in water proof pack
-insta-kindling

The second pack is dry goods and medical supplies. Such as...

-bottled water
-candy
-breakfast bars
-twinkies
-splints
-bandages
-tylenol
-aspirin
-antiseptics
-turnicate
-toilet paper
-collapsible crutch
-dry socks/underwear

I also have a standard tool kit with flares and other tools that would be available to me.

This pic shows the majority of what I have in my "tools" kit. The biggest difference, as I mentioned above, is the revolver has been replaced with an .40S&W H&K USPc.

Sbag.jpg

Survival Bag/ B.OB

S&W M&P 40 - 5 mags
Wasr-10 Ak 47 Underfolder 4 mags
Ontario M-9 Bayonet w/ Bianchi tactical sheath(survival and combat knife)
Gerber pocket knife and a Leatherman multi tool
Swiss Army pocket knife- tool (on my keychain :)

Water + Water Purification System
3 MRE's, Energy bars and some candy for sugar
Regular and windproof lighters, matches and magnesium fire starter
Military poncho
1 crank flashlight w/ radio and signal light
1 flashlight w/ spare batteries
American Redcross Wilderness First Aid KIT
2 Compasses and Sunglasses
Map of Oregon and Portland
Camo t shirt, socks and ski mask.
Binoculars
Tarzan M32 Vest w/ tactical belt
All this is packed in a 5.11 72 hour rush backpack(except the vest and weapons which will be on me ofcourse :)
any thoughts or comments pls reply

P.S - that's not all but all the major stuff I included.

Ok... some comments: good choice on an AK and M&P, its what i run, but try and stay away from the WASR. go with a G code or somethin better if u can. and for that matter u may want a .22 for small game if its all that u can find. A good folding personal tent would be wise. a couple packets of warmers (hands, body, and feet) can help in northwest weather. Good planning though.

from another thread

http://www.wildernessoutfittersarchery.com/

check out his videos on the 10, 20 and 30 essental things to carry in your pack.

you can buy the stuff from him or get it all locally from different places..all the stuff has been tested, used and proven.

his videos are worth their weight in gold if your looking for info on good, usable, low budget, gear.

Playboy-

You might want to check out this pack. It is the most comfortable (but not cheap) pack I have ever worn. Also the USMC uses it as their "ruck" sack.

<broken link removed>

I like what I'm seeing in everyone's lists, but there are two essential things missing from most of them;

Soap and a toothbrush.

Sure it's well and good to be able to survive out there for days on end, but if you prep raw meat from that trapped squirrel you caught how are you going to keep from getting ill? I have a litre of Dr Bronner's unscented soap liquid in each of my family's BoBs. It washes dishes, hair, your body, your teeth, is 100% bio-degradable, and a full litre should last one person a whole year when used properly.

Pull the focus away from food gathering and personal protection and look at sanitation as a top-of-the-list concern.

yep..thats happend to me twice.. 4 hours later....where the heck did all the time go???

I've found alot of the stuff he uses locally for cheap..if anyone cares

Alice frames with straps for $14.00 at the Army surplus store in Boring

half a foxhole shelter ($11.00 at Army surplus in Boring) gets you the tent poles, rope and tent stakes he uses in the Versa shelter

Andy and Bax has the wool blanket for $25.00 (and you get a color choice)

I havent found the exact tarp he uses, but Bi-mart has one for like $7.00 that has re-enforced corners and should work

I got heavy duty bungy cords at Costal Ranch Supply for $2.45 each

I got the eating utensils he swears by off E-bay..2 sets for $8 shipping was $5

the SS cup that fits over a Nagle bottle I got from the manufacturer for $11.00

If I lived closer to Ohio I'd just order the stuff from him direct.. however the cost of shipping is just a killer..I figured I check around and see what I could find local first.

remember the rule of 3 and pack/build your survival kit accordingly

A human can survive....

3 minutes with air

3 hours without shelter

3 days without water

3 weeks without food

Road flares
Space blanket
Water bottle/canteen
small container of bleach
1st aid kit
ace bandage
compass, has a mirror on it
gun cleaning kit
mid size meat cleaver or hatchet
small saw
~200 yds 80 lb braid fishing line
~50 feet of 1/4"-3/8" rope
candy and fruit
spare ammo
pair of dry socks (ziploc'd)
small roll of TP (ziploc'd)

might add fish hooks now, thanks.

Redrum-

Telling others how and where is what this forum is all about. My suggestion is once you start buying from sources outside of the NW, post the name and contact info, kind of like blazing a trail, it is easier for others to follow. Like: "the SS cup that fits over a Nagle bottle I got from the manufacturer for $11.00" I have seen him talk about it in a couple of his videos but i guess I haven't watched the video where he goes into full detail of it. Does it fit over the 32 oz or the 16 oz bottle?

SF-

Edit added: You know a lot of this stuff people already have it is just a a matter of finding in all their.... stuff... yea that is a good word... and organizing it. I know I am guilty of it. Also he mentioned how he feels that canteens are more effective than water bladders (camelbacks). That is a given no brainer but alot of newer and/or younger people could be influenced by all the cool guy advertising mumbo-jumbo. I thought I was old school with my canteen cup... heck he makes me feel like a kid with my "new school" canteen cup.

yea TRee..it was your post I was refering to :s0155:

it fits over the 32 oz

andy and bax has some that will fit over a 16 oz ...but the handle sticks out and I didnt think it was a big enuff cup.

<broken link removed>

100&#37; agree on the GI canteen and cup. I have 2 of those setups also and they work great.

camelbacks are really great at 1 thing....holding water...I always try to use things that have more than just one use..

isnt there a good army surplus store in Spokane? I seem to remember one being up there

Before I would make that drive I would google before making that drive.

There are a couple of good ones near Lewis, but with gas and sales tax probably not worth it. What are you looking for?

SF-

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads