JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
at a house warming / birthday party. One of my wife's co-workers home. Just under 7 acres, feels like a farm/ranch. Horses, chickens, ducks, dogs, creek.

Talking in the kitchen enjoying an hard-cider, talking about guns and shooting as you do. One of the guests ask if I shoot, after my affirmative, lifts shirt to reveal he is carrying. OK so far, pulls his S&W SD9 ... sweeps the room ... removes the mag, sweeps me, again ... removes the loaded round.

I politely stopped talking with him.

My wife saw the pistol come up and she backed up as far as she could. Gave our host a WTF look, got a "so sorry" mouthed back.

That was my Sunday afternoon.

How you all do?

Everyone is good for something even if it's a bad example...

I personally would have had a short "chat" with him, hopefully his stupid is curable.

Should have asked to "see" it and either thrown it in the garbage or racked the magless gun to clear then pointed at his face....let him know you felt he had endangered life, like this...

Perhaps you should have taken him aside and politely schooled him. And I mean politely.

I was at the range a few years ago and inadvertently swept another member. He came over and pointed out my mistake. He was polite and didn't blow up the situation. I thanked him and we both got back to shooting. I learned my lesson and I'm super aware of my gun handling.

Got swept by a newer to guns guy that was a dad of a buddy of mine.

I was super aware of what was going on and when the wrong end of the AR15 he brought was chambered and the safety off went in the direction of my head I ducked and swerved to avoid it.

I mentioned it to him and he was super embarrassed and (at least with me around) never came close to doing it again.

Depending on the company in the party I might unconceal my carry gun if someone wanted to see it but I would be glaringly obvious about emptying and checking for clear before handing it over.

I wouldn't have said anything because my mission in life is not to correct the idiocy of others, even though sometimes that task is simply unavoidable. However, I wouldn't talk to the jackass from that point on, because he lacks the intelligence to keep a piece concealed unless there is a reason not to, and he's a danger to others with his handling of said. So, in other words, more or less how you handled it.

His concealed should have stayed concealed.

Well hell yes... just go ahead and whip out yer Johnson to show off to everybody!!! :rolleyes:

Should have spoken up with some version of WTF...

Yes, this is an automatic Disqualification during a match, and we all yell "Whoa", then WTF. However, in that case, the SO grabs the arm and the handgun, and the offender is quietly ejected.

Depending on the company in the party I might unconceal my carry gun if someone wanted to see it but I would be glaringly obvious about emptying and checking for clear before handing it over.

I'm trying to decide if it's never a good idea to have people handing weapons at a "party"... have read too many incidents. I'm thinkin that besides the company, it would depend on the nature of the "party"... is it really a "PARTY" with lots of drinking and drunken people, or is it just a quiet get together...

I wonder if that guy waving his gun around has the intellect to comprehend (if/when somebody ever decides to confront him), that he is a HORRIBLE ambassador for gun rights, the worst possible kind. To voters already inclined to oppose the 2A, and maybe those still teetering on the fence, stupid shjt like that promotes the misconception that all gun owners are foolish and irresponsible

I'm trying to decide if it's never a good idea to have people handing weapons at a "party"... have read too many incidents. I'm thinkin that besides the company, it would depend on the nature of the "party"... is it really a "PARTY" with lots of drinking and drunken people, or is it just a quiet get together...

Good point;)

I only do small get togethers these days so I guess compared to my younger years it wouldn't really be a party.

I have a few liberal leaning long time friends and wouldn't do a show and tell with them unless they brought it up and wanted to learn.

On the other side, I will hang out with some friends I shoot and hunt with and that wouldn't be much of an issue but probably wouldn't unless, again, was asked or maybe if I got a new toy I really wanted to share.

Should have asked to "see" it and either thrown it in the garbage or racked the magless gun to clear then pointed at his face....let him know you felt he had endangered life, like this...
This action would also get you invited to less parties, so that's kind of a bonus...:p

I'd go with firmly but politely reminded him of the 4 rules of gun safety, then explaining to him that if it happens again. Itll go so far up his bubblegum, he'd be better off coughing it up.

This is not my usual group of peoples. And, as my wife's boss was present we were being mindful - kind of like any work / office party.

If I "knew" the guy - or if he was in a group I was with like a shooting squad, I would have called him out.

I had not idea how he might respond to being called out - embarrassed, take it well, blow up, no idea.
He wasn't threatening. Just showing off a little. So I let it go.

I know my wife will talk to her co-worker today, so there is feed back.

My wife's boss is a hunter, so I expect there would not have been an issue.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top