JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To me lentils are completely tasteless, I could never learn to like them, thankfully my wife doesn't care for them either! To me they are almot up there with those sorry Lima beans yuck! :mad::eek:
Not meant to be flavorful. Meant to be an added source of nutrition. We add them to stuff all the time.

Only dish we make were lentils kind of highlight themselves is when we make "sort of" retried beans with lentils and use the paste from blending them to coat tostadas.

To me lentils are completely tasteless, I could never learn to like them, thankfully my wife doesn't care for them either! To me they are almot up there with those sorry Lima beans yuck! :mad::eek:
'Sa matta wit chew? They ate lentils in the Bibleo_O!
They say that Jacob cheated Esau out of his share of their birthright with a pot of lentils when Esau came home from a hunting trip all starving an stuff:confused:..

Last Edited:
I've had some good lentil dishes - especially the Indian dishes/spices. Maybe the sauce/spices overpower the lentils, but it is good stuff so I like it. But I am always looking for the staples that have the calories (for work and keeping warm) and bulk (filling) at a good price and that will store for a while, and I can put into stews/etc. that I make at home.

LOL, I'm sitting here about 35# overweight, and lots of calories is the last thing I need! o_O

Hominy. Interesting stuff. In my family, it was depression food. It was served at my Grandparents house when we were young, but I don't remember my parents ever serving it.

To me, it's pretty neutral as a filler, as oatmeal is. Seems there's nothing to not like about it, but my sister remembers eating it when we were young, and to this day, she professes hominy to be one of the most disgusting foods she's ever been forced to eat.

Maybe it's a texture thing. But it doesn't bother me at all.

LOL, I'm sitting here about 35# overweight, and lots of calories is the last thing I need! o_O

I am about 50# overweight, but on a 6'6" frame it isn't that noticeable. More importantly, I have a heart condition and I am woefully out of shape. But one still needs energy to do work - if it is cold and hard work is to be done, calories get burnt faster than you can put them on. Plus, I have two other mouths to feed - at least. One can never have too much food if SHTF.

Mmmm... fried cornmeal mush and maple syrup. Haven't had that since I was a kid.

Just had that tonight for my late snack. Topped with melted butter and Karo corn syrup. A real dose of Iowa corn. I don't worry about cholesterol, I've had heart studies, imaging and tests, my cardiac arteries are good. I'll die from something else.

In my family, it was depression food. It was served at my Grandparents house

Both sides of my family were landless Iowa farmers. The white northern version of tenant farmers. Poverty is colorblind. Sad to say, the best thing that happened to these people was World War Two. Lots of those Depression habits carried on into later decades. My dad's mom fed me hominy when I was single digit age in the 1950's. Let me eat it with toothpicks. I like it, still eat it from time to time. Just because. I don't mind the bland flavor, I like the texture.

Both sides of my family were landless Iowa farmers. The white northern version of tenant farmers. Poverty is colorblind. Sad to say, the best thing that happened to these people was World War Two. Lots of those Depression habits carried on into later decades. My dad's mom fed me hominy when I was single digit age in the 1950's. Let me eat it with toothpicks. I like it, still eat it from time to time. Just because. I don't mind the bland flavor, I like the texture.

Yes, the depression habits of my Parents and Grandparents carried on well into my lifetime.

My Mom's family escaped Iowa in the depression, to become landless farmers on the West Coast, from Southern Oregon all the way to Walla Walla. Not much different than the Mexi's, now.

I still fix cornmeal mush fromt ime to time, cook it up, stick it into a loaf pan, put it int he fridge then slice off some, fry in butter till both sides are crunchy while the middle is creamy.. never used syrup, just a little salt.

My grandma went thoguht he depression, kept on till her golden years. never threw anything out..kept everything stocked up. She was a prepper before there were preppers. :)

Lima beans are good if cooked in with some smoked ham.
I forgot split pees in my preps they are hardy and taste good with ham or bacon added

My mom would cook pork chops for dinner and then she would put a large can of hominy in the pan cook in the pork chop grease. Oh it was so tasty. :D

1) "Mush!...It's good for you and you don't have to chew it." :p

Mush with apple or pear compote is great!
Please tell me you're not too lazy to chew. :p

2) "To me they are almot up there with those sorry Lima beans yuck! :mad::eek:
Lima beans were intended by the Creator to be used in succotash.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top