JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wasn't even sure what it was.

Kept seeing cans of it at Winco in the hispanic food section.

Had some green posole yesterday at work (Taco Thursday). So I did some research. Turns out this is just specially prepared corn kernels - which I am sure most of you know. Has more calories and carbs than lentils. Calories are good in a SHTF scenario - especially inexpensive calories. Also, it can be made into various other things because hominy flour will make things like tortillas and camp bread and taco shells and things - where ground corn that hasn't been nixtamalized can't.

So today I bought five cans of it - golden hominy. My first knee jerk reaction was to order a sack of dried hominy, but I figured if it was in a can, then it might keep longer and would certainly be proof against mice/etc. getting into it - although I need to keep it from getting frozen (i.e., I can't keep it stored in my unheated shop - at least until I move and build a shop that is heated).

When my wife was pregnant with our children, particularly the first one, it would knock her out most nights so I was on my own with respect to dinner. I had so much pozole in that era, to the point I rarely do now, and when I do, I half expect a very pregnant brunette to waddle in. :s0112:

I am going to use it for stews/etc. instead of, or in addition to lentils.

I have always had ground grits available - I just never used it for anything but hot cereal in the morning. I suppose I could try it in a stew. I don't really care for dried beans - had to soak them too long, they didn't absorb the flavor well, and after a while in storage they got as hard as a rock and refused to hydrate. Lentils are much easier to prepare, but can turn mushy and don't have as much calories for the weight - plus they are about $1 per pound where hominy is a bit less.

We've always got a ton of dried hominy around, which is my taste preference.

Canned is nice for the reasons OP mentioned.

Can't beat the "three sisters" when times are tough.

It is white corn soaked in lye water until it pops open and then rinsed. Used alone as side dish with meat or in stews. It is a traditional Cherokee food. It can also be used to make a lightly intoxicating beverage in the summer. I know of these things first hand. :)

I am going to use it for stews/etc. instead of, or in addition to lentils.

I have always had ground grits available - I just never used it for anything but hot cereal in the morning. I suppose I could try it in a stew. I don't really care for dried beans - had to soak them too long, they didn't absorb the flavor well, and after a while in storage they got as hard as a rock and refused to hydrate. Lentils are much easier to prepare, but can turn mushy and don't have as much calories for the weight - plus they are about $1 per pound where hominy is a bit less.

To me lentils are completely tasteless, I could never learn to like them, thankfully my wife doesn't care for them either! To me they are almot up there with those sorry Lima beans yuck! :mad::eek:

To me lentils are completely tasteless, I could never learn to like them, thankfully my wife doesn't care for them either! To me they are almot up there with those sorry Lima beans yuck! :mad::eek:

I've had some good lentil dishes - especially the Indian dishes/spices. Maybe the sauce/spices overpower the lentils, but it is good stuff so I like it. But I am always looking for the staples that have the calories (for work and keeping warm) and bulk (filling) at a good price and that will store for a while, and I can put into stews/etc. that I make at home.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top