JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The part to remember about Hominy is that you need to rinse it real well with water. If you think you've rinsed it enough, just do it a bit more anyway. That's the trick. Otherwise, even a faint bit or hint of lye makes it not terribly palatable.

'Sa matta wit chew? They ate lentils in the Bibleo_O!
They say that Jacob cheated Esau out of his share of their birthright with a pot of lentils when Esau came home from a hunting trip all starving an stuff:confused:..
Did it say he particularly liked the taste, or enjoyed them? We'll eat just about anything when we're really hungry!
I think they were a common dish, but who said they were tasty? Not me, and I don't HAVE to eat them at least not yet!, there are all kinds of beans I do enjoy both dry and green. Hated peas when I was a kid, but enjoy them now, go figure.

Hominy is one of those foods that tastes like whatever sauce you put on it... not very good plain, but I like the texture. Take a big cast iron skillet, and layer hominy, cheese, ro-tel, and suchlike,maybe some salsa, and/or beans, with a top layer of cornmeal with more cheese sprinkled on top... bake it til the top looks brown and yummy, delicious meal that the leftovers keep for a few days and reheats well. It's kind of a "open a bunch of cans, and dump em in" sort of thing.

Re: lentils, hominy, kimchee, lutefisk, sauerkraut,etc.

People learn to like whatever the vagaries and viscisitudes of reality bless their cultures and location with.
Without refrigeration various methods of preservation yield a product that is "an acquired taste." As in if you want to eat without gagging you better acquire a taste for this stuff. :p

After some time on the home range shooting a carbine and revolver, I made up some pozole. As wife was in the kitchen, and I am not taking any chances, confirmed, she is not with child again. :p

pozole.jpg

I've had some good lentil dishes - especially the Indian dishes/spices. Maybe the sauce/spices overpower the lentils, but it is good stuff so I like it. But I am always looking for the staples that have the calories (for work and keeping warm) and bulk (filling) at a good price and that will store for a while, and I can put into stews/etc. that I make at home.

I've recently gone onto a Keto diet to get rid of my huge gut that is killing me, so all of the grains, and that includes corn and dry beans are a no-no! Green beans are OK!
All most all carbs are proscribed as are sugar and especially corn syrup. All the fat I want, and protein , I eat 2 eggs fried in bacon fat and 1 & 1/2 slices of bacon for breakfast or sausage and eggs, and whatever the chef decides for dinner.
Shrimp Scampi was for dinner tonight. YOM!
Rare burgers sans bread is at least once a week and sometimes more often. But fish is often on the menu as is chicken.
Lots of fat, veggies and protein, to make the diet work. Your body normally uses carbs and sugars to burn and any left over are stored as fat, so by starving your body of sugar and carbs your body has to burn stored fat, which is how this diet burns stored fat. I know it's strange that eating fat doesn't pile the weight on but it seems to be working for me, and I've talked to numerous people who have don this with great results. I even cleared it with my family Dr.
I've lost at least 5# in 4 weeks, I need to get rid of at least 30# and 35# total would be better. So 30# more is my target!
Since I've shrunk a half inch in my old age 200# is considered obese, and it makes it hard to put my shoes and support stockings on!
Not to mention walking any great distance. Since I'm 78 now I'd better get rid of it before it gets rid of me!
Not smoking makes a difference since it can help curb appetite, but since I was in the hospital, I haven't smoked in 8 years everything is bad for you, even this diet, but I'm taking my chances! As for smoking , who can afford it now that they have piled on tons of taxes just to make it too expensive to smoke. I see the homeless people smoking all the time. How can they do that?
Wish me luck,
Gabby

I don't care, that still doesn't give it any flavor!
LOL
Gabby
Fry up some bacon, smoked if you can find it, not really necessary, plain ol bacon does nicely... add the bacon to the hot cooked lentils. Some red pepper, and a little onion to your taste adds a bit... I admit, they are kinda plain tasting... But hey, they ARE In The Bible! :D One of the few grains so mentioned...

BG1 - The Keto diet is just dandy for weight loss, but if you have any cardiac issues fat and sodium can be problematic.
After I survived a fatal widow maker (5 stents + 1 more later) the medical PTB told me if I didn't lose weight and completely restructure my diet and lifestyle I could expect a rerun. The Atkins/Keto approach was not an option for the aforementioned reasons. You might want to do a blood workup every so often to stay on top of the stuff that can do you in.

Now make sure you read the ingredients for the cans of Menudo right next to the cans of Hominy in the grocery store before you buy a bunch of them.

I always wondered about that; the hominy is in the aisle where there is a lot of hispanic foods and very near the menudo.

Looking up the contents, I am glad I passed on the menudo. Probably tastes good, but :eek: pass.

Mix mine with slightly crispy Corned Beef Hash and bacon and add a couple fried eggs,YUMMY!

Lentils, Get the lentils nice and soft from the soaking and a lot simmer, place on a large cookie sheet and pat dry with towels. Place on the top rack of your smoker and give them a good smoking for several hours ( Usually while smoking other things*) then add to the crock pot with beef bone broth! take Finely diced onion, celery, and carrots pan fried in white wine till slightly soggy.
Add to the crock pot and simmer on low, add in pepper and a table spoon of vinegar and a tee spoon of brown sugar. let it really simmer till done!
You can add what ever spices you like, but I prefer keeping it simple!

*You can smoke beans and veggies this way

Sorta like a bean, without the antisocial side effects. :confused:

Enjoy it right out of the can, or combined with chicken stock, Mexican seasoning, chick thigh meat ( Instapot tender) and flour tortillas added at the end and topped with a dollop of sour cream and a side or corn chips, nothing like a run on sentence to irritate the grammarians.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top