JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Storage Containers ... SHTF ... Inside The House ...

How do you store your INSIDE the home SHTF survival gear? We have gone around and around trying to find some cheap and good way to store all the stuff needed to get through whatever. Here is what we are trying now.

The 21"x21"x39" 42 gallon capacity wheeled HD trash can with the captive tight sealing top lid. I need to post pictures. Working on that. The first one has now been special ordered from our local building supply outlet.

These seem more heavily built and have the non telescoping handle. Two 8" diameter hard plastic wheels enable the full can to be grabbed and easily wheeled around. These are like the HD trash truck pick up trash cans.

While not a perfect fit inside some bearing wall closet they come close and work for us. Again inside storage of needful things. Our condition is that we have overflow of all sorts of SHTF survival goods we want to keep.

The cans are additional to the big vehicle bug out bags kept in the SUVs. Also additional to the 2-3 day wintertime 25 pound last grab backpacks. The cans will probably stay inside the house but can be retrieved later.

Equal paragraph lengths futile. :)

I have two large two wheel plastic job boxes and two smaller two wheel trunk size containers and they seem to work. I'll grab some pics and post them for you.

DSCN0370.JPG DSCN0369.JPG

I use new, cheap, galvanized trashcans with tight fitting lids.. mainly for foodstuffs.
Rats and other rodents can chew through plastic pretty easy, not so much steel.

Yup, metal trash cans are great for bulk foods. The wheeled trash cans can work for water transport and storage in a pinch as well.

BTW, the cases are in the house because we're going through and doing an inventory, update and replenishment.

I like metal trashcans with lids, grounded for electronics as well......pack all sides with thick cardboard.

BTW @GOG......I do love when people have pets in picture :)

Love it. "No officer, this is my bug out garbage can". (Not Ironmonsters, which still needs wheels so he can drag it along:) )

ps, good looking pup. ^^

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews