JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Was in the military for 7 years. Lots of field time, lots of ruckmarching, lots of deployment time. I purchased and was issued a bunch of different boots.

Danners were the WORST of my boots, and the most expensive at north of $100. I squirmed when I bought them, but wanted great boots for upcoming field exercises. They fell apart quickly, and became totally unusable garbage. These were the ones approved by the military for use. GARBAGE.

5.11 were among the best. Only drawback is they are not 'slim' looking. Look a bit like 'moon boots.' But excellent comfort and warmth and dryness. Before I joined the Army, I bought a clearance pair of these and ran 100 miles during the summer before I left for the Army. They held up great and were as comfortable as running shoes. I was very impressed and bought another pair.

The military issue Bellevues coldweather and mildweather boots held up outstanding. Totally water resistant up to above my ankle in standing running water. Warm and dry. And fairly comfortable. Overall, these are the best boots I have and they last forever in my experience. I still take them hiking. Luckily I have probably at least 5 new pairs in my closet when the time comes to replace the ones I started wearing on my last deployment, around 2010. I often have taken these on hikes in snowy mountain trails, across shallow streams, etc.

I strongly recommend Bellevues and 5.11s for comfort, durability, warm and dry boots.

Last Edited:
I love my Lowa Zephyr GTX. Waterproof and lightweight but super durable. No issues yet. They'd not do well for really long hauls carrying more than 75lbs or so, though.

I swear by Danner's and I'm actually wearing a pair right now...but I'd never wear them for hiking. They're more of a work boot than a hiker.

I still own my Army Issued Bellevues- when I go hiking or hunting, they're the one's I wear.

http://www.militarybootsdirect.com/belleville-boots-390-des.html

I've used them since 2005 and they're still going strong. I've had to repair them a few times and the lining around the heels are completely gone but they're still kicking! They're, by far, my most comfortable boots. As mentioned earlier, replace the insoles in them as well...I use Dr. Shole's work insoles.

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Massaging-Insoles-Sizes/dp/B0009EIMW0

Make sure you avoid Rocky brand boots and shoes. The soles rot off within a year or two. Weirdest thing I've see happen to a pair of boots. Called Rocky customer service and found out that they know how to answer the phone but know nothing about customer service. Zero warranty for any reason. Their response to me stating that the soles fell off, "that happens a lot". Ok, no more Rocky boots ever.

Danvers have a pretty long break in. That's my only gripe about them.

OP you pretty much described the Merrel Moab Mids in your first post. Waterproof semi insulated, and they come in earth tone. Zero break in might I add. Comfortable from day one. I own 3 sets now and I'm thinking if getting another to add to a cache in the backyard. Boots are important but break in sucks big time. Having a boot ready to go that is durable and well built is hard to come by. Is prefer caching a bunch of pre-broken in danners, but the Merrel Moabs work nicely, forfeiting some brunt durability, they are my go to boot now.

I have 2 pair of Carolina loggers. The taller heel type steel toe and a shorter heel water proof steel toe. They are hell for stout but heavy. my feet have never gotten wet in thousands of miles riding except when leather pants rode up and water wicked down my socks in the water proof Georgias. I really like them as a work boot in construction sort of environment. But if SHTF I am going with my everyday riding boot. Wolverines that are water proof, steel toe and tops just above the ankle. They are comfortable for hiking and my fave on the motorcycle. I put new vibram waffle soles on my 1980 AF flight boots. I like them, wear them occasionally on the motorcycle but not hikers, for sure and not water proof. Not sure what my next pair of boots will be but I'd look for something really good for humping through the boonies/hunting and water proof.

Brutus Out

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads