JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Even a truck with 37" offroad tires (my truck) has a hard time running over a rail on the tracks. Tires don't grip the rail well, and a piece of average rail, say 115#, is around 6.5" tall. Tires slip on it, it's not like a curb, that is cement and has traction.

First,like bodyguard said,if we have a SHTF non-natural,the rest of the world has already going through it. Leaving the country won't be a great option
Second,I think it was Syria ,that the American posted about,that said just maybe a mile away from downtown,the world was different.Everything was concentrated to the inner city.
3 Everyone will be on the railroad tracks when the roads are clogged
4 Most of the people leaving won't have a clue as to where to go.(in a romantic voice) "The wilderness" Which for some is not having Domono's and Starbucks.
They don't have more than 1 handgun they tried at the rental place before they bought it
E The gangs or whatever ,that will form will only have a few men that will die for the cause(of the gang),take them out and the rest are running for cover.So eliminate as many as possible
F Do you think the folks in the "safe" areas really trust you city folk? You think we will want you to come to our areas?
You think you will be safe out there,just because you have a couple guns? (just think about all the different rifles who's sites you will pass through...without ever knowing ) ?
7 you will get robbed on the back roads,or shot.Your choice. Oh and no one will ever know

Much,much better idea to move to the outskirts of the cities and have a definite place to go.
Start now,traveling the route you intend to take.
Stop along the way and talk to the locals,so when you pass through in bad times,they have some idea who you are.
This may get you through the neighborhood. Heck if you are passing through and stopped to talk and were polite,you may be able to get gas.
They don't know you? No gas or food for you.Maybe you have something they want?
Again 2 guys posted their experiences in real world SHTF scenarios and said you need back up.The whole neighborhood.

you will really need to watch what is happening .Have your route and start as soon as it looks dire.
i believe you will do better having a BOB and having more supplies at your destination.
The more you have with you,the better target you are.

My Mom wants to get an RV in case of SHTF. "We can hop in the RV can cruise anywhere!".

I see one minor problem with that idea.

What if the roads are out? What about Gas? and doesen't an RV advertise "I have supplies! Take them from me!".

If I want to blend in, I'll drive a sportscar or something, at least the won't be expecting that, and that will give me a few seconds to get away.

That's just my Idea anyway.

If this country goes SHTF, every wonder if the rest of the world will also be in the SHTF situation?

Could be. No one plan will work in all instances. Modern warfare could result in the whole world going down, but historically SHTF situations have not been worldwide in scope. It just seems like a lot of people are fixated on one plan (bugging out to the outback) when in reality other options might be worthy of consideration.

You won't be able to leave. Borders closed. No int'l flights out. Or best case you can leave but only with the shirt on your back, no assets. It is not a priority to keep people out, but it is a priority to keep people in; primarily their assets.

Anyone with the common sense to get out should have done it by now. If I could speak Spanish, could transfer assets, and have friends in Paraguay or Panama I'd already be gone. Instead I'll get to see the Empire collapse from here.

A friend of mine moved here from Argentina after their 2001 collapse and I always tell him he screwed up; he should have stayed there. Better to stand on the beach AFTER a Tsunami.

Getting out of dodge:s0112: So the SHTF and society fails so people run for the hills with their bob. People on the other side of the hills don't want city folkes to steal all they have so a few rednecks get together and blow up enough dirt to block all the roads.

People in their cars are stuck. Can't go forward and can't go backwards. Full of fear and wanting what the other guy has so his family can survive. He ain't going to walk out with his family. At that point the family man wishes he had better thought out what to do but it's too late. He has killed his family.

jj

My Mom wants to get an RV in case of SHTF. "We can hop in the RV can cruise anywhere!".

I see one minor problem with that idea.

What if the roads are out? What about Gas? and doesen't an RV advertise "I have supplies! Take them from me!".

If I want to blend in, I'll drive a sportscar or something, at least the won't be expecting that, and that will give me a few seconds to get away.

That's just my Idea anyway.

You're right about it advertizing to the world, but you will always have a shelter over your head and at least some food and water on hand. That will be better than most people who will probably be running home from their jobs to pack and bug out themselves. In the middle of the chaos, you might just be another obstacle in their way to their objective, not a target of opportunity. It all comes to when you actually decide to leave. If the power shut off today, they might not cut your throat for that generator you've got blaring in your back yard. But what about a week from now? Same scenario- if you hit the road the day the lights go out, the sheeple will be sitting in their homes staring at their mystical black box that tells them all the answers, waiting for it to turn back on. I suspect that people won't begin the panic phase for days if not weeks. Won't you and your's be off the road by then? I'd hope so.

But, again, there will be situations that we cannot foresee. What if the military declares Martial Law? Nobody in or out of the city? What if your neighbors heard about your plans and came running to your door with their hand out (or worse, shotgun in hand) at the moment the switch hit?

Time is a key factor in all this....what you may get away with today might get you killed tomorrow. The tactical situation will change from day to day as we enter TEOTWAWKI. Nobody can predict what will happen or even when it will happen because of the human factors involved. You just have to be flexible to change and familiarize yourself with Murphy's Law.

Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
That means that...

*Your flashlight that you never use in your truck will have dead batteries
*The day you need your larder you found out that mice have infested inside it
*The new generator you bought has a fuel leak
*Your truck is in the shop when you need the clearance to travel

No plan survives first contact.
That means that...

*There is a military checkpoint on every major street and all your alternate routes are blocked by traffic.
*You were forced to leave behind the excess fuel containers, and now you only have enough gas to get 3/4 of the distance to your retreat.
*The previous night, the local LEO confiscated all your firearms because you are a possible "domestic terrorist".
*One of your party/family members is seriously injured/wounded.

Take heed, take note...although it sounds like I'm for bugging in, that is not the case (at least not if in an urban setting). You will be constantly threatened of attack- you will be a Jew in occupied Germany. You will have to boil all your food to avoid the smell getting out, never use power unless the block has power, always have multiple armed posts out, etc. All it would take to get rid of your nicely defended home is a well-placed Molotov cocktail on your roof at night. Then you are no longer a threat.

I remember seeing the plans for a raccoon trap, A heavy box with a shiny object in the middle all sides nailed tight except one small hole big enough for a stretched raccoon paw to fit through with angled nails pointing in like a funnel. the raccoon reaches in grabs the shiny object and with it's hand full can't pull it back out against the points of the nails. If it lets go it can withdraw it's paw and escape... but it won't leave the shinny prize and so it's hand is too big. The Raccoon hears the trapper returning and struggles and squeals and sounds like some of the trolls on this forum but it won't let go of it's ideas (shinny prize) for anything! The trapper walks up bashes it's head in, skins it, takes the pelt and leaves the ball of tin foil for the next fixated racoon! Hold on to those property values will come back illusions, and those "I've got a better Job here" panacias. and OH YES I know The Kids will hate me if they have to leave their friends.... TRUE But of course if you do have to flee from what many of you on this forum are preparing for... many of you won't make it, and your families will perish with you. Cold? I'm sorry, not trying to be.. just seen to many aftermaths, tent cities, and unrests to lie to you. Seriously consider leaving now, while you can still drive up the gorge, and make new neighbors. Your kids will hate you, YES, but they'll be alive and able to hate you... and change. Just :):)a thought.

That's too many People even on this forum have racoons disease.

One truck and trailer laid over at just the wrong spot and traffic will not move nor will a wrecker ever show up to move it. Brings to mind the hiway of death just outside of Kuwait only this time the folkes will kill each other.

jj

I'm in S. Oregon (Medford area) outside the city and am satisfied, but not assured. If I was going to move, it would be to an area which has lots of water but not bitter winters. That would be something like coastal Washington or Oregon, but back away from the ocean and above any flood plain.

As it is, I have lots of clean water, even more than enough for the neighbors, and we also have a creek and concentrated powdered chlorine.

Our paved road is a loop which can easily be blocked at both ends. Still, roving gangs on foot could take us out and I have no illusions that everything will work out.

You just do the best you can, prepare to fight for what you have, and pray for the best.

Problem is we don't all think alike when it comes to property. We have those who think you should "share the wealth" who will be in the same lines as the guys who worked for theirs. It's common thinking now and if you look around it's infected the nation.

If I were going to try to get out of dodge I would have a big 4x4 diesel rig with about 100 gallons of extra fuel. A crash front bumper with a winch to yard stalled vehicles out of my way and a gasoline driven hand held chopsaw to cut up anything too big to yard out of the way. Of course I would wait till the fighting is over before I attempt to travel. People won't last long out in the open.

Problem for most is they have no where to go.
jj

One truck and trailer laid over at just the wrong spot and traffic will not move nor will a wrecker ever show up to move it. Brings to mind the hiway of death just outside of Kuwait only this time the folkes will kill each other.

jj

I keep telling ya, the small town folks and the farmers are going to block those roads with things like old farm equipment. They don't want city hoards coming down on them. The entrances to small rural towns will be blocked and guarded. Even our loop road here will be blocked and guarded. I don't know a farmer in E. Oregon or Wa. who doesn't own a cat. Have you noticed that little of the wheat land is flat? A wheel tractor is too dangerous for those hillsides and they plow with cats.

A cat is an armored vehicle crusher. Just raise the blade enough to stop bullets and start running over a car. A couple of family members riding along with battle rifles and you could mow down a whole row of cars.

I keep telling ya, the small town folks and the farmers are going to block those roads with things like old farm equipment. They don't want city hoards coming down on them. The entrances to small rural towns will be blocked and guarded. Even our loop road here will be blocked and guarded. I don't know a farmer in E. Oregon or Wa. who doesn't own a cat. Have you noticed that little of the wheat land is flat? A wheel tractor is too dangerous for those hillsides and they plow with cats.

A cat is an armored vehicle crusher. Just raise the blade enough to stop bullets and start running over a car. A couple of family members riding along with battle rifles and you could mow down a whole row of cars.

My work is a heavy equipment operator and I run most equipment on a professional level. Unless equipment has had their keys changed most equipment is run by a common key. I have about ten keys that will run most any equipment. As I said a diesel rig with 100 gallons of extra fuel will get me most anywhere as long as people are not killing me along the way.:s0112::s0112:

Patience.

jj

Hmm block small towns.

Lets take Silverton as an example of a small town. POP approx 10K surface area approx 3sq miles roughly 1 miles by 3 miles within this are there are at least 10 road and 2) railroad entrances if you were to attempt to block these routes some would have to be placed quite a way out of town to not allow them to be easily flanked.

And with Silverton being placed basically in farm land over land routes would be easy to force through in a half dozen other directions.

If you got real energenic and dropped the Bridges on Hwy 213 Hazel Green Rd. at the Pudding River. The bridges on Abiqua Creek at Hwy 214 and HWY 213 would help.

I don't see the ability to isolate most small towns at least not on the west side.

I have keys to my Hi-rail truck from work, a semi an a pickup, both that drive on the tracks, and in each of those I have keys to every switch on any track (there's only a few keys, nation wide)

So Could I talk you into roadtrip?I mean railtrip? Cripes, we could go anywhere and not get lost?Ive always wanted to "ride the rails"! Potty breaks would be a beeyatch though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top