JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We keep hearing of those who plan on bugging out by using their vehicles to get "somewhere safe".
Unless you are the first one out - IT WON'T WORK!
Why?
Every road will be plugged up - impassable. Think of the times you've seen just one accident or disabled vehicle stop all traffic. Now imagine that happening dozens or even a hundred fold.
During SHTF scenario, people will be panicked -fight or flight. While trying to get out of dodge, they will be multi-tasking, angry, scared, confused and very distracted. This will cause people to do stupid things like - drive too fast, wreck, or run out of gas. Also, road rage and panic will bring out the worst in people.
When their car is no longer of use, they will desperately try to flag rides down. The roads will soon become blocked with people (including pets and children).
The bottom line...you probably aren't going to get there unless you have a helicopter!

What do you think?

I believe past evacuations tell the story of what it would be like.
People are creatures of habit, look where the choke points are on any given day, those are where the problems will begin. Then as people try to avoid those, the problems will filter to other roads, and so on and so on. The key to getting out is to stay one or more steps ahead of the masses. This is where having multiple routes planned and practiced are crucial.
Given human nature, Murphy's law I would say that unless you were among the first out in a mass exodus, you wont be going anywhere soon.

Railroad tracks. Most have a service road along them. Biggest obstacle is the bridges, easy if you have a four wheeler.

I have keys to my Hi-rail truck from work, a semi an a pickup, both that drive on the tracks, and in each of those I have keys to every switch on any track (there's only a few keys, nation wide). I can be at work (at the trucks) in 2 minutes from home and have them on the tracks in 5 minutes or less. But I plan on staying home....

I keep wanting to know what the event is that is going to send the hords into panic mode? Cause I can think of very very few that could result in some mass migration.

And all of the OPs comments are very location dependant. I seriously doubt the Grociery store clerk at Roths in Silverton is going to find the roads home choked with cars and trucks.

I drive dump truck for a living and can be almost anywhere within 50 air miles of my pickup (which is parked 16 miles from home during the day) So I have no idea where I would be when this event (what ever the heck it is) takes place.

Depends on why people are leaving as to how dangerous they are. Depends on how early you "smell" the signs that you need to leave. Selco says to hunker down for at least 2 weeks if you find yourself in a SHTF scenario, but better yet try to see the signs and get out of Dodge. If it's a true meltdown, the roads will be blocked by locals. You aren't getting into or near their town. Railroad tracks will be torn up to keep out armies. Railroad side roads will be blocked.

If you're alone on an off road vehicle, you will be shot off it. You can't ride or drive and shoot. It will be every man for himself.

I've come to the conclusion after reading all I can find, that I probably won't survive a long time. People will turn into gangs just as they do now in the city for the safety in numbers.

I just promise I'll take as many with me as I can. Maybe, if I prep right and get lucky, I'll survive. But after several years when things become safe again, what will be left? After ten years in Bosnia, it still isn't completely safe there, but it's better.

It always depends on a lot of factors. Is all of Hawaii going to be ale to "bug out" if there is a tidle-wave warning? No. Am I going to be able to get out of town if the US Dollar collapses? Probably.

It's all about assessing your risk potential. If you've got a lot of choke points (bridges) or danger areas (roads that go through other towns) then you might need to assess if actually staying put is worth the risk versus bugging out.

Like I keep stating, no person here can tell you what is the best choice...only what they've assessed is more dangerous for them and their situation. It's like me saying that Glock is the best gun- which is nothing more than an opinion and not a statement of fact.

I ask that everyone assess their risk factors and make a decision on what is best for them and their situation. If there is a forest fire enroute, bugging out might be your best option, but if you live on a hill and there is a flood warning, your best option might just be to stay put.

Although the OP brings up great points about the hundreds of thousands of people in your immediate area thinking the same thing as you (at the same time) to hit the roads...that just means that if you decide to bug out you better have a plan, a backup plan and a backup to that plan as well. Having alternate routes to your alternate routes is never a bad thing. Always plan for other things as well (i.e. EMP takes out your truck, you run out of gas, you get mugged, etc.).

Although we all agree that owning a self-sufficiant piece of property away from any urban areas is an idealistic scenario, making a blanket statement that bugging out or bugging in is the best scenario for everyone is foolish at best. Will there be hardships? Yes. Will it be an easy undertaking? No. But the fact of the matter is is that nobody can tell anyone what is best for everyone. Ever.

If it is a true national meltdown and dollars are no good, you barter. Have lots of things to barter, but never let anyone come to your home to see what you have. Meet them some place (after a time there will become places where bartering is done, but you still don't know if someone will instead just kill you for it.) Most of it will be done at night because traveling during daylight is suicide. At night you can slip among rubble and cars and building and try to keep out of sight.

Carrying a battle rifle out in public is suicide. Some gang will shoot you for it. You need to hide a pistol.

Selco said that next time he'll have 1,000 Bic lighters, drinking alcohol and cigarettes. Addicts are addicts. Water, food and medicines, guns and ammo. Barter items and defense items. Everclear is also good for wound sterilization.

I don't think some of us realize how bad it could get on a national scale.

If it is an authentic SHTF Mad Max national meltdown isn't anyone planning on just leaving the country and starting over somewhere else, or at least taking an extended vacation out of the country until things blow over? Why go through that stuff if you don't have to?

Also, I can tell you, about rail road tracks, hardly any of them have service roads next to them that go anywhere. Most are very steep gravel, and very hard to walk along, let alone drive or ride something along. You could go down the middle of the track, but you WILL get flat tires and it's also a PITA to walk down (with the ties). Trust me, I am on them working, nearly every day. Also, once you get yourself down a track, in a truck or whatever, good luck getting turned around when you find out it's not where you want to be.

If it is an authentic SHTF Mad Max national meltdown isn't anyone planning on just leaving the country and starting over somewhere else, or at least taking an extended vacation out of the country until things blow over? Why go through that stuff if you don't have to?

If this country goes SHTF, every wonder if the rest of the world will also be in the SHTF situation? If we go down that marry path, the rest of the world most likely be in the same boat as we are. There will be not place outside of the US to run and hide. Just something to think about.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top