JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've read through some of the other threads on here and found a few hints and ideas here and there, but decided I wanted to culminate those into one thread. Maybe you guys have already done this one in the past and I missed it. If I did, sorry and here you go again.

Anyway,

I have two questions to pose and would appreciate y'all's input.

1. What items would you stock up to replace currency? Meaning, what are you stocking purely with the intention of using for trade later?

My Answer: Ammunition in popular calibers and booze.

2. What skillsets/jobs do you see as valuable or needed in a post-SHTF world? While answering please assume that currency is a thing of the past and your compensation will not be monetary in the traditional sense.

My Answer: I have no friggin' idea that's why I'm asking you guys.

I'm really curious to see what kind of answers I get. Especially to number 2. (But please take the time to answer both).

Ammo is a great currency. I would definitely have a weapon for every caliber of ammo you have, though. And I would think the cheapest functioning guns would be a good way to trade, as well. Imagine the economic power of not just 100 rounds of 9mm ammo, but a HiPoint and 100 rounds would be a very powerful trading currency.

Mechanics, to keep engines running from a mixture of parts. Especially skills to build wood gasifiers and such.

I have the ammo and guns, silver and working harder on the gold. I have started to buy soap (bar), toothpaste and brushes, water fillters and replacement parts. Have lead and bullet molds for casting.

Machinest, framer/carpentor, Electronics and electrical skills. been reading up and practicing on my skinning, tanning and leather making/working.

I have been buying silver (which probably wont be worth anything at first, I mean what good will a silver coin do?)

Ammo, alcohol, tobacco, extra food (to trade with all the 'unprepared' people)

As far as skills that would come in handy:

Electronics
Construction
Mechanical
Tanner
Blacksmith (never know when you may need a quality sword, right? :) )

2. What skillsets/jobs do you see as valuable or needed in a post-SHTF world?

First Aid, Lockpicking, Carpentry, Herbal Medicine (herbology), Surgery, Mechanical Repair, Marksmanship, Hunting, Trapping, Skinning, Tanning, Blacksmithing, Plumbing, Field Sanitation, Water Purification, Knot Tying, Guerilla Tactics, Land Navigation, *Chemistry...that's all I can think of for now.

This is one of the reasons why I think I don't have enough time to learn all the skills I need and acquire all the gear I will need before TEOTWAWKI. Each skill set has it's pros and cons...some even overlap. The main thing is to at least print out the material so you at least have it on hand- then slowly read and practice on them when you have the time. Focus on what you can do while you can do it...some of the main things you'll need to do is improve your own physical fitness. Can you run for miles without stopping? Can you carry your survival gear on your pack for 10 miles a day without needing help?

Physical fitness and overall health means you can recover from injuries faster and are less susceptible to sypmtoms from diseases- there's a reason why the elderly and children are more at risk from dying from simple things like the flu.

So- print out the thing you think you will need to know (like building a cabin, setting a snare trap, purifying mass quantaties of water, and smoking meat) so you can look it up later.

*Note: Chemistry is an under-rated skill set whereas you can learn how to make things like solvents, cleaning agents, adhesives, explosives, anethesia and other medical utlities.

i'm wondering if birth control would be valuable for trade. WSHTF, i don't picture many people wanting to bring children into the world. Then again, sex may be the last thing on people's minds with all the work to be done.

Barter items I've purchased so far...

Items I got for free using coupons and from free samples
matches (lots of grocery stores and convenience stores give these away, just gotta ask for them)
baby wipes
bar soap
toothpaste
toothbrushes
KFC wipes (if you've seen Book of Eli, you can laugh at this one)...so far I only have 3. :)
SoyJoy Bars
Travel size shampoo
glade candles in travel tins

Things I have stockpiled to barter that I've paid very little for after coupons

small cans of coffee
small lighters
candy bars
toilet paper
packets of seeds

Ain't no way in **** I'd plan to barter with bullets...who on earth knows who you are bartering with...those bullets might come back to haunt you one day.

Wow, nobody said SEEDS! ( Yelling from the back )

Do you want to know a lot about a little or do you want to know a little about a lot?

I think it is a good idea to know a little about a lot of different areas of skills....

1. What items would you stock up to replace currency? Meaning, what are you stocking purely with the intention of using for trade later?

2. What skillsets/jobs do you see as valuable or needed in a post-SHTF world? While answering please assume that currency is a thing of the past and your compensation will not be monetary in the traditional sense.

1) Nothing specifically intended for trade. Stocking items that would be critical or important to us in the event of prolonged supply disruption. In a barter situation you trade what you have too much of for what you don't have enough of.

2) Any skill that allows one to fix/repair/build things. Plus, Farmer, doctor/nurse, herbalist, and of course moonshiner. Oh, and owning a "temp agency" that contracts out Amish people.

Note: Barter systems are inherently flawed, and are pretty close to useless. A standardized currency system of some sort always develops fairly soon after SHTF (or existing one remains in place). Would likely be foreign currencies, metals, or the existing 'currency of the realm' ($US) depending upon which SHTF occurred. It does not necessarily have to have "real value" (our current paper currency does not) but need only be accepted by the populace as representing value (in a standardized form).

Alcohol, Tobacco, Cans of SPAM (you'd be surprised what tastes like Filet Mignon if you haven't eaten for a few days). I would think having basic field medical skills would be very valuable.

I am thinking seriously about putting in a rainwater gathering system for emergency use. Also a good water filtration/purfication system. Lots of kitchen matches and small butane lighters would also be handy.

I am thinking that cigarettes would be a great trade item. When the stores run out people will be climbing the walls like crack addicts wanting their smokes. I am not sure how well cigs would last though. I imagine that if you vacuum pack full cartons with O2 absorbers and then pack those into Mylar bags with more O2 absorbers they might last a long time if kept in a cool location. Not sure if merely keepin cigs away from O2 is enough to make them last....maybe the chemicals in them just degrade and break down into other compounds.

My rule so far has been to only stock things i will eventually use myself. Cigarettes are not something I would use so I am still thinking.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top