JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
yeah, what most hunters don't realize is their guns are actually of military origin/design...
They don't ? Most hunting was at one time DONE with Military origin/design firearms - Lets look at 'modern' hunting history from post WW1 - the 03 A3 became one of the first Military style rifles that was 'sporterized' to become more useful as a hunting rifle. The 30-40 Krag was probably the 'original' boit action rifle that could arguably be identified as the one thing that popularized the bolt action as a hunting rifle. Heck I know guys who grew up hunting with a Garand.
So almost over a 100 years of hunting tradition gets 'side swiped' by the AR 15 which is now associated with the 2nd Amendment, called the 'modern sporting rifle' and the 'traditional hunter' - most of which might be your fathers age (or older) are being called antis? (OR FUDDS a term I Also hate)
I will agree some might be out of touch with SOME modern issues and considerations but remember one thing - You don't know where you are going until you remember where you have been - and that includes the traditional hunter who for the most part got us to where we are today.

The point is, when all they can think of is "as long as I got my Bambi Killin' Gun F*** everybody else"... See also: "John Kerry Hunters."

For the record, like them I don't particularly LIKE AR's. I grudgingly recognize their usefulness and versatility, but unlike them I also get that if you throw ONE part of the gun community under the bus, ANY part, that only invites more such situations...

"First they came for the Communists..."

The point is, when all they can think of is "as long as I got my Bambi Killin' Gun F*** everybody else".
No, it isn't this way - at all. I suspect most of those who are espousing these notions are not hunters and do not have any experience hunting, planning a hunting trip or knowing what it is like in a hunting camp with good friends or family. I pity those who DON'T have experience with this.

They don't ? Most hunting was at one time DONE with Military origin/design firearms - Lets look at 'modern' hunting history from post WW1 - the 03 A3 became one of the first Military style rifles that was 'sporterized' to become more useful as a hunting rifle. The 30-40 Krag was probably the 'original' boit action rifle that could arguably be identified as the one thing that popularized the bolt action as a hunting rifle. Heck I know guys who grew up hunting with a Garand.
So almost over a 100 years of hunting tradition gets 'side swiped' by the AR 15 which is now associated with the 2nd Amendment, called the 'modern sporting rifle' and the 'traditional hunter' - most of which might be your fathers age (or older) are being called antis? (OR FUDDS a term I Also hate)
I will agree some might be out of touch with SOME modern issues and considerations but remember one thing - You don't know where you are going until you remember where you have been - and that includes the traditional hunter who for the most part got us to where we are today.

If they (those that fit the bill) do understand it, then why are they more than willing to throw those who like the modern style military patterned rifles under the bus. They show their support for an AWB, mag limits and so forth, then the first thing out of their mouth is "you don't need an (insert name of proposed banned item) for killing a (whatever animal they prefer to hunt)".

If a person is willing to oulaw and/or take firearms away from law abiding citizens, they are an anti. Enough of the Prozanski's and these people About Hunters Against Gun Violence

Ray

And if you want a name for that Dissident Registration, file it for Sook Mai Kok. I'm done playing nice with people who think, as JFK said of Commie bastards, "what's mine is mine but what's YOURS is negotiable."

If they (those that fit the bill) do understand it, then why are they more than willing to throw those who like the modern style military patterned rifles under the bus.
Why not find one who is 'they' you are referring to about for an answer instead of asking ME ? I am on OUR side here - Try to stay in context please.

Well, since the whole idea is to drive a bigger wedge between the "Fudds" and "everyone else"......?

I like sporting autoloaders too! Where would that leave me? o_O

Like it or not there folks who own guns that do not like or see any reason to own a AR15 , a magazine that holds more than five shots or has a bayonet lug etc ...
Then there are folks like me.
People who really don't care for a AR 15 type rifle , magazines that hold more than 10 cartridges etc , but at the same time don't care if someone does want own a rifle of that type or however many cartridges a magazine holds.
Please don't label all non AR , AK or whatever other military lookalike rifle owners as "Fudds".
Old Elmer was fun to watch , but stupid beyond words ...
Many of us "Hunter types" understand that if one type of gun or magazine , is banned , then any gun or magazine can be banned.
Andy

Last Edited:
Well, since the whole idea is to drive a bigger wedge between the "Fudds" and "everyone else"......?

I like sporting autoloaders too! Where would that leave me? o_O
Amigo, the "Not My Bag But Whatever Floats Your Boat" crowd aren't the enemy, it's more the "I don't need X so I don't care if they ban it."

By that logic, since the Second Amendment is pretty clear about *militia* intent, it could be argued that ONLY weapons of military-issue type are protected... think on how THAT role reversal would go over.

Up here in WA, post-594 you do... now that you practically have to have a BGC just to walk into a gunshop door.

@Slobray, there's a word for such people that Dave doesn't like much... "Fudd." Sorry, Dave, but if they're against us more than they're with us...
This looks to me like you CAN loan someone a gun to hunt in WAo_O

(f) The temporary transfer of a firearm (i) between spouses or domestic partners; (ii) if the temporary transfer occurs, and the firearm is kept at all times, at an established shooting range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located; (iii) if the temporary transfer occurs and the transferee's possession of the firearm is exclusively at a lawful organized competition involving the use of a firearm, or while participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group that uses firearms as a part of the performance; (iv) to a person who is under eighteen years of age for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes while under the direct supervision and control of a responsible adult who is not prohibited from possessing firearms; or (v) while hunting if the hunting is legal in all places where the person to whom the firearm is transferred possesses the firearm and the person to whom the firearm is transferred has completed all training and holds all licenses or permits required for such hunting, provided that any temporary transfer allowed by this subsection is permitted only if the person to whom the firearm is transferred is not prohibited from possessing firearms under state or federal law; or

Why not find one who is 'they' you are referring to about for an answer instead of asking ME ? I am on OUR side here - Try to stay in context please.

I must have misconstrued your post, because it seemed to me that you were trying to defend those hunters that own guns (and know of the military origin of their hunting rifles) and want more restrictions on and/or ban guns they don't like. That is why I asked you.

Sorry for the confusion.

Ray

This looks to me like you CAN loan someone a gun to hunt in WAo_O

(f) The temporary transfer of a firearm (i) between spouses or domestic partners; (ii) if the temporary transfer occurs, and the firearm is kept at all times, at an established shooting range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located; (iii) if the temporary transfer occurs and the transferee's possession of the firearm is exclusively at a lawful organized competition involving the use of a firearm, or while participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group that uses firearms as a part of the performance; (iv) to a person who is under eighteen years of age for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes while under the direct supervision and control of a responsible adult who is not prohibited from possessing firearms; or (v) while hunting if the hunting is legal in all places where the person to whom the firearm is transferred possesses the firearm and the person to whom the firearm is transferred has completed all training and holds all licenses or permits required for such hunting, provided that any temporary transfer allowed by this subsection is permitted only if the person to whom the firearm is transferred is not prohibited from possessing firearms under state or federal law; or

"while hunting". To me that means you have to accompany them at the minimum to the hunting area and can only "transfer" said firearm too them there and the gun must be returned to you there, because it can only be done "if the hunting is legal in all places where the person to whom the firearm is transferred possesses the firearm". It's not legal to hunt in a vehicle, living room, Walmart parking lot, etc., and thus loaning them a gun or their possession of your gun anywhere but the hunting area is illegal.

I may be wrong, but that's the way I interpret it.

Ray

"while hunting". To me that means you have to accompany them at the minimum to the hunting area and can only "transfer" said firearm too them there and the gun must be returned to you there, because it can only be done "if the hunting is legal in all places where the person to whom the firearm is transferred possesses the firearm". It's not legal to hunt in a vehicle, living room, Walmart parking lot, etc., and thus loaning them a gun or their possession of your gun anywhere but the hunting area is illegal.

I may be wrong, but that's the way I interpret it.

Ray
I think you have to be handcuffed to the recipient while in the hunting area:p

No, it isn't this way - at all. I suspect most of those who are espousing these notions are not hunters and do not have any experience hunting, planning a hunting trip or knowing what it is like in a hunting camp with good friends or family. I pity those who DON'T have experience with this.
My perception is different based upon hunters I work with. These are bolt action rifle and revolver owners. See no need for AR's, AK's or high capacity semi-automatics and see no reason why any sane American needs any type of "assault weapon"...

I simply shake my head and think, one day they'll come for your too...

Kama always comes home to roost...

After reading the article and looking at the posts I have to go back to some of the things I have said in past posts and that's until we as gun owners actually look out for each other we will lose. Many folks in the gun community will look at what this professor wrote and say it is a good idea as they have nothing to hide. (They do not realize once registered they cannot hide it without going to jail as they now know they have it.)

I worked weekends off and on in a sporting goods store from 2000 until March of 2016 and you do not know how many time I would get the whole why are those guns needed (ARs, AKs and clones) then they would drop 1500 on a new Browning Auto 5 a design that was used in WW1, WW2, Vietnam, prohibition and in the prison system. They had no clue it was one of the first military close range assault weapons.

Then the guys that have no use for the AR and the like that also had no clue that grandpa's old hunting rifle they are now using in 30-06, 7x57, 8x57 or 6.5 Swiss had been sporterized from left over battle rifles that may have honestly at one time taken a life or two in battle before grandpa got it. Ruger still produces several of these war time calibers in their M77 line.

I will not register my firearms so I guess it is my line in the sand and I buy most of my guns used or with my Concealed carry permit so no NICs yes a 4473 at the shop on new guns but no NICs.

The article is another feel good idea with no benefits what so ever.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top