JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for input on the ATF pistol brace decision:

When is the deadline for the "grace period" to register formerly known as "pistols" to SBR's, or has it passed?

Should one do that in the first place or just keep movin on?

Should one replace any and all pistol braces with better functioning stocks?

Anyone buying up old pistol braces?

Any help with these questions would be appreciated!

You mean the AFT?
no no no he means the BATFE

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND,
Im not legal aid, and my words should not be misconstrued as such.

When is the deadline for the "grace period" to register formerly known as "pistols" to SBR's, or has it passed?
120-days

However, this rule also provided for a 120-day "grace" amnesty and compliance period (discussed below). The 120-day "grace" amnesty and compliance period expire on May 31, 2023

Should one do that in the first place or just keep movin on?

always keep moving on, the fed ABC"S arent to make laws only enforce them.

Should one replace any and all pistol braces with better functioning stocks?

youre gonna do what youre gonna do.

Anyone buying up old pistol braces?

legally if the FED makes a law that bans something they should have to buy them at market value. but thats never happening.

Last Edited:
To the op there are pages and pages discussing this in previous threads. Woudl take forever to rehash all of that discussion here. There are pros and cons. I suggest doing an advanced search for "brace" or "brace rule" and read the major threads where people discuss the pros and cons. Some really good perspectives there but you will have to dig for that info.

However, this rule also provided for a 120-day "grace" amnesty and compliance period (discussed below). The 120-day "grace" amnesty and compliance period expire on May 31, 2023

to file for the "free" SBR registration

google is your friend too
Still don't know what you mean. Are you using day 118 as a metaphor similar to "the eleventh hour"? Day 120 is may 31, this is not day 118.

So, May 31st seems like the deadline. Thank you for that.

My concern is that I have several items with pistol braces and I want to take advantage of the "grace period" to avoid $200 per. Or, don't worry about this because it's going to eventually get overruled?
Again long discussion. You are asking the right questions. They have all been answered in the other threads. Off the top of my head:

Potential pros:
1. Can add stock and/or vertical grip once approved
2. Can continue to use existing braces upon application. Ie you don't have to worry about prosecution for having a brace
3. Free vs in future may be $200

Potential cons:
1. You are signing up on a registry. In future regimes, it's possible that registration may lead to confiscation, or it may not.
2. It's a hassle
3. If there is an injunction or thrown out you could then use braces without having had to register it
4. It may never be enforced against you anyway, or it may be who knows, depends on officer and other factors such as department directives. Potential penalties are severe of course.
5. Some minor paperwork issues such as yearly notification if taking out of state or one time notification if you move out of state.

Re timing you can wait to see if there is an injunction or register them now. If you know you want benefits of stock and vertical grip (or other benefits) and are ok with the cons then no need to wait to see if there is an injunction. If the cons outweigh the pros you can wait to see if there is an injunction. Just be aware of the potential for atf computer overload if you wait until the very end.

Last Edited:
Now you're catching on. The choice is yours.
I am looking for other points of view on this. A gun store owner thought it was stupid not to register. I have heard others say the opposite.

I don't want to be out of line, and please correct me if I am in asking what others are doing and or recommending. The more pov's the better on most issues. Maybe not so with this one?

I am looking for other points of view on this. A gun store owner thought it was stupid not to register. I have heard others say the opposite.

I don't want to be out of line, and please correct me if I am in asking what others are doing and or recommending. The more pov's the better on most issues. Maybe not so with this one?
You really should check out the links to other threads and the recommended search terms. To clarify, this site has a search feature in the upper right corner. It works very well. Check out the Advanced Search options too. There is a ton of information exactly germane to your question in several threads here. It's considered bad form to ask common questions before you've done a proper search, but fortunately for you, people are being extra nice and answering again anyway.

You really should check out the links to other threads and the recommended search terms. To clarify, this site has a search feature in the upper right corner. It works very well. Check out the Advanced Search options too. There is a ton of information exactly germane to your question in several threads here. It's considered bad form to ask common questions before you've done a proper search, but fortunately for you, people are being extra nice and answering again anyway.
This is the way. ;)

🫥

FB_IMG_1668039986520.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR