JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have two Remington KS rifles, one in 7mm rem mag and one in 270. I had both at the range one day and ammo for both on the bench. I wasn't paying attention and fired a 270 round in the 7mm. I learned a lesson that day and fortunately was not injured from the crap that blew back into my face.

A few years ago volunteering at a hunter site-in event, a guy who clearly didn't handle guns regularly came in with his son to site their two rifles - a .30-30 lever and a bolt .30-06. I was overseeing 2 benches and they both landed on mine. His ammo was mixed and loose, in his pockets. He would grab a few out and give some to his boy with the .30-30 and he was working with the .30-06. At one point, they swapped rifles and the father, not paying attention, grabbed a .30-06, loaded it into the .30-30 and rammed the lever home, securely wedging the cartridge into the rifle. When the bolt wouldn't close all the way, he started working the lever over and over until I caught what he was doing and stopped him. Of course we had to call a cold line, stopping some 25+ shooters and everyone else while the RSO's worked to correct his mistake, which they were eventually able to dislodge. I don't know if he learned his lesson on that one - but perhaps having his ammo in their respective marked boxes would be a good start.

I will say this - from some of the stuff I've seen at the site-in events, I'm kind of glad I'm not a hunter - some of those shoot-once-a-year folks can be a little scary.

As for the OP, glad everything worked out safely for you. Any lesson learned without major injury, is a good lesson.

Our Club does a huge sight in service in Sept. And we have it setup so that every bench has a Club Member and the club member then controls everything that takes place at the bench. Club has been in business since 1947 with no fatal accidents and only a few bad injuries almost all taking place when the shooter was alone. We don't have RSO's on duty except when there is an event.

Our Club does a huge sight in service in Sept. And we have it setup so that every bench has a Club Member and the club member then controls everything that takes place at the bench. Club has been in business since 1947 with no fatal accidents and only a few bad injuries almost all taking place when the shooter was alone. We don't have RSO's on duty except when there is an event.
I'm a member of the same club, in fact just got back from about three hours of shooting at the indoor range with both my sons. They had a great time as well as me, I always enjoy watching them convert 22lr into noise. My oldest is now giving me a run for my money with the younger not too far behind.

It all depends on how many members show up to volunteer. That year, we were extremely busy, but a bit short handed. This past October, due to COVID, people were spaced out, limited #'s of people allowed on the firing line. In some cases, it was 2 members per shooter. And at those events, there are no less than 6 RSO's on site at all times. They take safety very seriously. Do something foolish and you'll quickly have a group of folks on top of you for it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top