JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
my neighbor found boxes and boxes of this ammo in the basement of a rental house he just purchased

based on what i can find it's corrosive Austrian 30-06 sold through the CMP back in the day - read it's accurate stuff

I told him we can shoot it through my Garand - I have no problem cleaning after corrosive ammo - deal with it in my Mosins and Mauser

it's called Ballistol

Likely Berdan primers, too.

Bruce
I'll let you know tomorrow
taking the Garand down the field to shoot swinging steel tomorrow
my SA 30-06 Garand was re-barreled in 1950
was a CMP rilfe sold to a Marine in the '50s, who shot it at TCGC in Sherwood in HP matches
I bought it from his widow in '92 after he passed
because she was a suffering widow, I gave her $350 for the rifle

Well, maybe that's one reason to celebrate.....

Rrrrrright......
That the legislature didn't classify a Garand as an ASSAULT WEAPON?

Aloha, Mark
I bought mine in the '80s and '90s
bought the 30-06 out of the back of a trunk on a Sunday morning
doubt there is any paperwork tracing them back to me

bought my first Garand from a gun shop in Florida
took it apart to inspect it on the counter of the shop - then told the owner - maybe - I'll have to think about it
it was in pieces across his counter so he asked if I was going to reassemble it
so I asked "will you give me a discount if I buy it as is?" - I paid $200 for it!!! a 1941 SA, with all SA parts!!

I bought it from his widow in '92 after he passed
because she was a suffering widow, I gave her $350 for the rifle
1694749197851.png

1694749250164.png

Aloha, Mark

PS......maybe just paying the going CMP price would have been FAIR ENOUGH? Of course, I can't remember what I paid back then (when I started collecting Garands).

Last Edited:
I got my CMP Garand in 91 or 92. The price at that tine was $185, I believe. It did take about a year to go through the process at the time.
back in the mid '80s, the lend lease Garands came back from Korea
by the terms of the Lend Lease act, Korea could not sell them, but had to just return them to the US
they were then sold a government bulk aucton in lots for pennies on the dollar
they were in all the gun shops in Florida for $200 - $300
the barrels were shot, but otherwise functional
when my gunsmith replaced my barrel, he told me it was worn out from cleaning with GI steel cleaning rods, not from being shot
a steel rod has never touched on of my rifles since then

by the way, I've read posting on this forum that some shooters scrub their barrels after every range season because thant's what they learned in the Military
when i started shooting CMP high power, I found Garands shoot better when the barrels get coated in copper
I didn't scrub the barrel with a brush until my goups started drouping off, just ran a swab through it after a day on the range
then i had to shoot 8 rnds down the clean barrel to condition it again

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads