JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

So i pulled the biggest bonehead move to date...

was sighting in the hunting rifles tonight... two almost identical Savage 110 and 10.

im ok, the rifles are ok... what happened was i had the 308 ammo out and grabbed the 30-06 by mistake

yeah.

on the bright side, it hit the target. low and to the left tho :rolleyes:
IMG_0325.JPG

IMG_0321.JPG IMG_0322.JPG IMG_0323.JPG

let the hazing begin... i deserve it

btw... yes, it can be done :rolleyes:

DONT DO IT!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

So i pulled the biggest bonehead move to date...

was sighting in the hunting rifles tonight... two almost identical Savage 110 and 10.

im ok, the rifles are ok... what happened was i had the 308 ammo out and grabbed the 30-06 by mistake

yeah.

on the bright side, it hit the target. low and to the left tho :rolleyes:
View attachment 386114

View attachment 386111 View attachment 386112 View attachment 386113

let the hazing begin... i deserve it

btw... yes, it can be done :rolleyes:

DONT DO IT!

My brother in law shot .300 win mag out of a .300 weatherby, went through at least one box, he lives in Montana, so when I was visiting and we were looking at his guns he showed me his ".300 win mag" he showed me the ammo he had for it and the spent brass and I informed him that he in fact had a .300 weatherby. Hes a younger guy who has a bit to learn.

used to work as a range officer at a gun range, guy called me over to help figure out why his 9mm wasnt cycling, it would fire, but not cycle so I inspected it and informed him that the .380 auto ammo he was shooting in it was firing, but not strong enough to cycle the slide of his 9mm pistol. :cool:

Correct me if im wrong, but outside of case dimesnsions, the 30-06 can be loaded for higher pressures then 308 so a newer rifle made for 30-06 should be able to handle that fine without without worry of blowing up

Actually, the 308 is generally loaded to higher pressure than the 30-06. The 308 was developed in the early 50s to match M2 Ball 30-06 ammo (150gr, 2700ish fps) in a shorter and lighter case. To do this, it had to be loaded to higher pressures. The 30-06 was developed 50 years prior when metallurgy wasn't as good and was loaded to pressures acceptible to those guns. New rifles with stronger steel could handle the 308's pressure.

This is why the 30-06 with modern loads really outpaces the 308 with pressure being equal. Sure, in 1952, they were equals. Now, the 30-06 can easily push the same 150gr bullet to 3000 fps.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top