JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've fired a .40s&w through a .45acp 1911.
One of the owners of the company I work for was recently sold an LCR9 - and two boxes of .380 ammo to go with it! It made it three rounds then the third did not extract. He brought it to work for me to look at. I punched The .380 brass out and cleaned it up and ran 50 9mm through it wihtout a problem.

A few years ago volunteering at a hunter site-in event, a guy who clearly didn't handle guns regularly came in with his son to site their two rifles - a .30-30 lever and a bolt .30-06. I was overseeing 2 benches and they both landed on mine. His ammo was mixed and loose, in his pockets. He would grab a few out and give some to his boy with the .30-30 and he was working with the .30-06. At one point, they swapped rifles and the father, not paying attention, grabbed a .30-06, loaded it into the .30-30 and rammed the lever home, securely wedging the cartridge into the rifle. When the bolt wouldn't close all the way, he started working the lever over and over until I caught what he was doing and stopped him. Of course we had to call a cold line, stopping some 25+ shooters and everyone else while the RSO's worked to correct his mistake, which they were eventually able to dislodge. I don't know if he learned his lesson on that one - but perhaps having his ammo in their respective marked boxes would be a good start.

I will say this - from some of the stuff I've seen at the site-in events, I'm kind of glad I'm not a hunter - some of those shoot-once-a-year folks can be a little scary.

As for the OP, glad everything worked out safely for you. Any lesson learned without major injury, is a good lesson.

A few years ago volunteering at a hunter site-in event, a guy who clearly didn't handle guns regularly came in with his son to site their two rifles - a .30-30 lever and a bolt .30-06. I was overseeing 2 benches and they both landed on mine. His ammo was mixed and loose, in his pockets. He would grab a few out and give some to his boy with the .30-30 and he was working with the .30-06. At one point, they swapped rifles and the father, not paying attention, grabbed a .30-06, loaded it into the .30-30 and rammed the lever home, securely wedging the cartridge into the rifle. When the bolt wouldn't close all the way, he started working the lever over and over until I caught what he was doing and stopped him. Of course we had to call a cold line, stopping some 25+ shooters and everyone else while the RSO's worked to correct his mistake, which they were eventually able to dislodge. I don't know if he learned his lesson on that one - but perhaps having his ammo in their respective marked boxes would be a good start.

I will say this - from some of the stuff I've seen at the site-in events, I'm kind of glad I'm not a hunter - some of those shoot-once-a-year folks can be a little scary.

As for the OP, glad everything worked out safely for you. Any lesson learned without major injury, is a good lesson.
when in doubt... ram it home :eek:

I had a friend who "has been around guns all of his life" yell at me and went and sat in the car because I fired a 38 Special out of my 357 Magnum. He said I was an idiot, a 38 caliber was clearly a larger diameter than my 357 gun.

My brother in law shot .300 win mag out of a .300 weatherby

Several years ago I picked up a case from someone just like this. Headstamped 300Win Mag but obviously fired in a Weatherby chamber.
Because both cartridges headspace off of the belt and are .308 bullets, no harm was done. Sure made a funny looking case, though.

The 308 to 30-06 adapters were developed by the Navy to allow the use of the new 7.62X51 NATO cartridge in 30-06 Garands. They work ok but you need a broken case extracter to remove them if properly installed. I am sure quality brass would simply fire form into the chamber.......but I have no interest in trying it out.

I long ago realized that I'm too stupid to have a bunch of similar sized rounds/firearms - hence .17HMR, .22LR, and .260 Rem for rifles and .22LR., 9mm, .38 Special and .45 ACP for pistol. None of them are easy to confuse with any of the others.

I long ago realized that I'm too stupid to have a bunch of similar sized rounds/firearms - hence .17HMR, .22LR, and .260 Rem for rifles and .22LR., 9mm, .38 Special and .45 ACP for pistol. None of them are easy to confuse with any of the others.
Wise....I have to be careful with all my Mausers......all look and feel similar, also my 45LC and 44 Mag.

I had one of those adapters once, long ago. It seemed like a good idea but it didn't work out so well.

I've seen a lot of odd stuff over the years, picked up some pretty weird looking fired brass: 8mm fired in a 30-06, .308 in an '06, .303 Savage in a .303 British, .40 in a .45, etc...

It's amazing how well various guns hold up. 8mm in a 30-06 for example: pushing a .323" bullet through a .308" bore. Or a .308 Win through the .270 bore. There are various reasons why you can often get away with stuff like this, but other combinations are certain disaster.

One thing that I've seen touted on youtube is the use of .380 and 9x19 ammo in the 9x18 Makarov guns. Again, there are specific reasons why you can often get away with doing this and not blowing yourself up, but it's certainly not a good idea! I cringe when I see someone recommending it.

I had one of those adapters once, long ago. It seemed like a good idea but it didn't work out so well.

I've seen a lot of odd stuff over the years, picked up some pretty weird looking fired brass: 8mm fired in a 30-06, .308 in an '06, .303 Savage in a .303 British, .40 in a .45, etc...

It's amazing how well various guns hold up. 8mm in a 30-06 for example: pushing a .323" bullet through a .308" bore. Or a .308 Win through the .270 bore. There are various reasons why you can often get away with stuff like this, but other combinations are certain disaster.

One thing that I've seen touted on youtube is the use of .380 and 9x19 ammo in the 9x18 Makarov guns. Again, there are specific reasons why you can often get away with doing this and not blowing yourself up, but it's certainly not a good idea! I cringe when I see someone recommending it.
If you study places like Buffalo arms in Ponderay Idaho, they manipulate a lot of casings to make unusual calibers, some are fire formed, some resized or expanded. You have to know what you are doing but not brain surgery.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top