JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nonte's "Home Guide To Caliber Conversions" and it's updated sequel, "The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions" makes for some interesting reading. There are very few calibers that can't be made from something else. Necking up, necking down, trimming, fire-forming, silver-soldering, annealing, all useful techniques. Personally I have made .256 Win Mag from .357 Magnum, a .257 wildcat from .357 Maximum, 8mm-06AI from .30-06, .300BO from .223, and 7.62X40WT from .223. Fun stuff!!

the military experimented with what was called the navy sleeve 308 into a sleeve that was fired in a 30-06 that would fire form and stay in the 30-06, to go back to 30-06 from 308 you would use a broken shell extractor.
I still have one and a 308 duplex round ;)

ahhh now that I have read the WHOLE thread I see this has been covered and yes some do work and some don't the QC on the cut or milling for the 308 was not that good

Last Edited:
Nonte's "Home Guide To Caliber Conversions" and it's updated sequel, "The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions" makes for some interesting reading. There are very few calibers that can't be made from something else. Necking up, necking down, trimming, fire-forming, silver-soldering, annealing, all useful techniques. Personally I have made .256 Win Mag from .357 Magnum, a .257 wildcat from .357 Maximum, 8mm-06AI from .30-06, .300BO from .223, and 7.62X40WT from .223. Fun stuff!!
It is interesting.....I remember people making the radius shoulders on Weatherby ammo by fire forming. The part I was never sure of was if it was best to build a mule for the job. There was a time 44-40 ammo was rare or not being manufactured. It was commonly made from resized cases...was it 45? Can't remember.

According to "The Handloader's Manual..." you can make .44-40 from .303 British; "Turn rim to .525". Back chamfer and cut case to 1.35". Taper expand case mouth to .430" dia. Full length size. trim to length. I.D. neck ream and chamfer. Full length size."
Nothing to it!!

According to "The Handloader's Manual..." you can make .44-40 from .303 British; "Turn rim to .525". Back chamfer and cut case to 1.35". Taper expand case mouth to .430" dia. Full length size. trim to length. I.D. neck ream and chamfer. Full length size."
Nothing to it!!
geeze, id put up the gun and take out somethin i can find ammo/ components for!!

geeze, id put up the gun and take out somethin i can find ammo/ components for!!
Lots of people did just that.......41 long Colt was another challenging caliber. Those pistols resale value suffered compared with guns in more available chamberings. Today they are sought after by collectors.

My brother in law shot .300 win mag out of a .300 weatherby, went through at least one box, he lives in Montana, so when I was visiting and we were looking at his guns he showed me his ".300 win mag" he showed me the ammo he had for it and the spent brass and I informed him that he in fact had a .300 weatherby. Hes a younger guy who has a bit to learn.

Several years ago I picked up a case from someone just like this. Headstamped 300Win Mag but obviously fired in a Weatherby chamber.
Because both cartridges headspace off of the belt and are .308 bullets, no harm was done. Sure made a funny looking case, though.
Heck, that's how us cheep skates get .300 Weatherby Brass, and IS a pretty standard way of doing it! I do the same for my .375 Weatherby Mag, fire form Holland and Holland brass to take the case taper out and blow out the shoulder to the Weatherby and trim it back and it's good to go! For the price of any thing with the name Weatherby, I can make do with others! :cool:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

So i pulled the biggest bonehead move to date...

was sighting in the hunting rifles tonight... two almost identical Savage 110 and 10.

im ok, the rifles are ok... what happened was i had the 308 ammo out and grabbed the 30-06 by mistake

yeah.

on the bright side, it hit the target. low and to the left tho :rolleyes:
View attachment 386114

View attachment 386111 View attachment 386112 View attachment 386113

let the hazing begin... i deserve it

btw... yes, it can be done :rolleyes:

DONT DO IT!

You must have worked up an appetite doing that. Here, have some 30-06 sized hotdogs...

04B7911A-AEBF-411B-BC6A-F781ADE7F81C.gif

:D

Last Edited:
You must have worked up an appetite doing that. Here, have some 30-60 sized hotdogs...

View attachment 822013

:D

Crap Stomper! You, of all people? I get to reading. I've shot 9mm in a .40, and still have the case on the bench. I get the books out lookin' at pressures between .30-06 and .308...

I really like the ".308 voIcom Improved" though.

Seeing two of our members posts, who have passed on, is always sobering too.

Crap Stomper! You, of all people? I get to reading. I've shot 9mm in a .40, and still have the case on the bench. I get the books out lookin' at pressures between .30-06 and .308...

I really like the ".308 voIcom Improved" though.

Seeing two of our members posts, who have passed on, is always sobering too.

I zombie pilled this thread because me and the OP were discussing shooting brain-farts and he mentioned this thread again.... and I'm still heavily amused by my latest hotdog girl .gif image that I stumbled upon.....

:s0108:

I zombie pilled this thread because me and the OP were discussing shooting brain-farts and he mentioned this thread again.... and I'm still heavily amused by my latest hotdog girl .gif image that I stumbled upon.....

:s0108:
I liked that too. Hog dogs and girls go together like fish and water so its refreshing to find a GIF of them combined as nature intended.

How far low and left was the hit. Did it feel soft (recoil wise) when you fired it. The pressure probably would have been low since some of that energy was wasted in fire forming the case. if the accuracy wasn't terrible this might be something to remember.

How far low and left was the hit. Did it feel soft (recoil wise) when you fired it. The pressure probably would have been low since some of that energy was wasted in fire forming the case. if the accuracy wasn't terrible this might be something to remember.

couple inches low left at 100 yards LOL. didnt even know what happened until i ejected the brass

Way better result than 300BLK in a 223. Glad you're OK. Looks like it cut it pretty cleanly. You can probably neck that down to .308 now. :rolleyes: :p :D

Speaking of necking down......

I remember an old article from SoF magazine. In it, the author mentioned that the lack of proper 7.62 Nato was affecting the operations of the fighters. Mind you that, they were not connected to some "official military" organization.

Not to worry........
There was some .30-06 (probably M2) to be found (from who knows what prior conflict and country).

So anyway......
They would remove the bullet and powder. Putting the bullet and powder on the side and cutting the brass back. The empty brass was then repeatedly slammed into the rifle's 7.62 chamber. Yeah....a semi-automatic. When they were satisfied.....the powder (an appropriate amount/probably just a guess) was replaced and the cartridge was topped off with the original bullet. And, off they went to continue the fight. YES......it wasn't all that reliable. But.......now, they had ammo for the rifles.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Guilty.

but mine were low (3") and to right (2")(at 200 yrds), even had a nice group. Primer did not show signs excess pressure and cycled fine.

Thought scope shifted until picking up brass, correct ammo showed no change in zero. Recoil felt normal.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads