JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Check out SHIPMYGUN.COM

Please be sure to follow protocol.

Pray tell, how are these parties finding your items, I too, want to move a bunch of my stuff.

If you ship a firearm, make sure you place a color copy of your current drivers license (front & back) inside the package, so the receiving FFL can record who the seller was.
I have used SMG 'Ship My Gun" a lot and have had no complaints with them.
The easiest way is to use their preferred FFL list, as that makes it go faster, as any FFL on their preferred list has already been vetted and will receive shipments of firearms from an individual.
If the buyer demands that you use an FFL not on their go to list, then SMG will have to reach out to them and get all their info and permission to accept a package from a non FFL., which will hold things up for a few days.
I like that I can print my own Fed Ex shipping label and then drop the package right at their airport terminal.
I just walk in, get a receipt and walk out in a few minutes and since a hand gun will be shipped using next day air the cost is almost half, then if you tried to do it by yourself at a UPS or Fed Ex hub.
Make sure your gun is unloaded and no ammo can be included. Magazines are fine.

So you just have them pay you before you ship? How do you do payment? All through SMG?
Now there is the part to be VERY careful about. A LOT of people will try to pull something when you advertise a gun for sale. Read up on the risk on taking a Money Order before doing so. I have not yet used SMG, but did look into it a few times when someone wanted a gun I was selling. I do not see anything on their site about payment. So if they do not get involved cover yourself. Do not take any kind of check that you have to deposit in your account unless the buyer is willing to wait till you can make sure it cleared. Even USPS Money orders. Have the cash in your hand before you ship your gun off.

The best way to clear a check is to take it to the bank it is drawn on and cash it there. To do that, the best way is a cashier check drawn on that bank - a personal or company check being less credible and easier to forge/fake.

If you go to your bank/CU, they will say to wait X number of days, but it can still bounce back weeks later and then you are out of luck.

Other than that, I can't help - I've only once gotten a check, it was from an FFL (who purchased the rifle - an AWC G2A), a cashier's check, and I took it to a local branch of the bank and asked for cash. It took them 45 minutes while I waited, but eventually they gave me the cash $3K, and then I sent the gun to the FFL.

So you just have them pay you before you ship? How do you do payment? All through SMG?

I demand payment via USPS postal money order. I have done a couple using Zelle, but prefer the USPS money order.
When using SMG to ship, they will want payment with your credit/debit card for the actual shipping charges.
They have nothing to do with what you're getting in payment for the gun.
The best thing is that you can figure out exactly what the shipping charge will be by using their zip code rate calculator before you quote the buyer on how much it will be.
That way, the buyer knows up front what the total cost of the firearm and shipping will come too.

If you ship a firearm, make sure you place a color copy of your current drivers license (front & back) inside the package, so the receiving FFL can record who the seller was.
The easiest way is to use their preferred FFL list, as that makes it go faster, as any FFL on their preferred list has already been vetted and will receive shipments of firearms from an individual.
If the buyer demands that you use an FFL not on their go to list, then SMG will have to reach out to them and get all their info and permission to accept a package from a non FFL., which will hold things up for a few days.
I like that I can print my own Fed Ex shipping label and then drop the package right at their airport terminal.
I just walk in, get a receipt and walk out in a few minutes and since a hand gun will be shipped using next day air the cost is almost half, then if you tried to do it by yourself at a UPS or Fed Ex hub.
Thanks. Working on getting everything ready to ship.

I demand payment via USPS postal money order. I have done a couple using Zelle, but prefer the USPS money order.
When using SMG to ship, they will want payment with your credit/debit card for the actual shipping charges.
They have nothing to do with what you're getting in payment for the gun.
The best thing is that you can figure out exactly what the shipping charge will be by using their zip code rate calculator before you quote the buyer on how much it will be.
That way, the buyer knows up front what the total cost of the firearm and shipping will come too.
Thanks

A handgun must be purchased in the buyers home state, or you can have one shipped from out of state to your FFL.
An out of state seller can drive over to the buyers state and sell it at your FFl.

I live in Washington and want to give my brother-in-law A semi auto pistol and a pump shotgun. Do we need to use an FFL in Oregon? I've read both Oregon and Washington laws and can't tell for sure if we need to use FFL? As I read the laws, If we both lived in Oregon or WA , it's All in the family no FFL needed. But I can't tell from Washington to Oregon for sure, if an FFL is needed.

Last Edited:
The best way to clear a check is to take it to the bank it is drawn on and cash it there. To do that, the best way is a cashier check drawn on that bank - a personal or company check being less credible and easier to forge/fake.

If you go to your bank/CU, they will say to wait X number of days, but it can still bounce back weeks later and then you are out of luck.

Other than that, I can't help - I've only once gotten a check, it was from an FFL (who purchased the rifle - an AWC G2A), a cashier's check, and I took it to a local branch of the bank and asked for cash. It took them 45 minutes while I waited, but eventually they gave me the cash $3K, and then I sent the gun to the FFL.
This is what I used to do when I sold furs. Take the check immediately to their bank and get cash.

Great comment and information.

Check out SHIPMYGUN.COM

Okay, help me understand how SMG works. I've been to their site, read all the rules & FAQ's, read some reviews online. And it still isn't entirely clear to me how it works. Specifically for handguns. Which I, as a non-licensee, cannot ship directly to a buyer or an FFL dealer in another state. I have to ship it through a dealer on my end who ships it to a dealer on the buyer's end. SMG says I take the package with their label directly to Fedex to shipping. If this is the procedure, where is the involvement of my FFL? Do I run it past them while on the way to Fedex? Clarity, please.

I've sold handguns out of state using an FFL dealer. Who can ship through the US Postal Service, which non dealers cannot. Using a Priority Mail flat rate box, the shipping is pretty reasonable. Without needing someone to broker the shipping cost.

Long guns I can ship myself to the FFL dealer on the buyer's end. If SMG can get me a discounted price on that, well and good.

You select an FFL on SMG's preferred list if possible, then you select what size box for a handgun, then declare what it weighs and pay SMG for the overnight shipping.
You then get an email from them stating that it's all good and you print out the label. You can have then have Fed Ex pick up the package, or you can drop it off at one of their hubs.
You don't need an FFL to ship your own firearm, either a long gun or handgun. you just need to ship it to a legal FFL address that receives private shipments.
You can box it up yourself and walk into a UPS or FED EX hub and declare it's a firearm and the shipping fee will be about twice as much, they will also want to see the receiving FFL's current up to date license on paper.
What SMG does for you is cut out the hassle and charge half as much.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews