JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I migrated from the Midwest, TN, to be exact. I left some firearms back home at parent's house in father's gun safe.

All belong to & are registered to me, except one however, is not, but was handed down to myself from father.
I'm wondering if it's legal, for an uncle of mine to ship to me & if so, what all it would entail, in a legal sense?? :s0067:
I realize there's a similar thread on this, but not too clear & it's 4ish years old, & may be new legislation.

I suppose I should elaborate & ask if it's legal to ship em' via the usps/ups or fedex??

Last Edited:
6181761662_88c3300f04_b.jpg

For the win

So, I migrated from the Midwest, TN, to be exact. I left some firearms back home at parent's house in father's gun safe.

All belong(12g shotgun/44mag pistola) to & are registered to me, except one however, is not, but was handed down to myself from father.
I'm wondering if it's legal, for an uncle of mine to ship to me & if so, what all it would entail, in a legal sense?? :s0067:
I realize there's a similar thread on this, but not too clear & it's 4ish years old, & may be new legislation.

I suppose I should elaborate & ask if it's legal to ship em' via the usps/ups or fedex??

All belong to & are registered to me, except one however, is not, but was handed down to myself from father.

You can legally ship a gun to yourself. Long guns can be shipped by USPS, hand guns only an FFL can ship with them. Now asking someone else to ship them to you? Now it could get sticky if caught. If you go back to where the guns are you can ship them to your home here by common carrier (FedEx, UPS) no problem if you do not tell them what you are doing. If you tell them what you are doing you are highly likely to run into road blocks with the staff even though its legal.

You can legally ship a gun to yourself. Long guns can be shipped by USPS, hand guns only an FFL can ship with them. Now asking someone else to ship them to you? Now it could get sticky if caught. If you go back to where the guns are you can ship them to your home here by common carrier (FedEx, UPS) no problem if you do not tell them what you are doing. If you tell them what you are doing you are highly likely to run into road blocks with the staff even though its legal.
Out of WA right now. Probably.
Into WA . Not at this time.

Out of WA right now. Probably.
Into WA . Not at this time.
The problem with the carriers is they are scared. Will not matter the sate. They have been getting worse and worse about people shipping guns. The carriers can do as they please since they are not required by law to serve people. So they can say policy and no, to anyone they want. Simple solution is do not walk in with package and tell them its guns.

You probably need a lawyer to answer this.

A couple of factors here; you owned the firearms since before the law was passed, so in that way they are grandfathered in to you.

But they were not in your possession within the state when the law went into effect, and the law prohibits importation for any reason not connected to laws enforcement.

Which one of these factors trumps the other? I have no idea, but I am willing to bet if you get caught WA will be happy to try you in court to find out!

Safest way is probably to just take a road trip and pretend like they were in the state the whole time.

Last Edited:
Don't you miss your uncle ?
I would suggest a road trip to visit him....and for you to bring back some reminders of home.
Or...
Have him come out to visit you..bringing some family history with him.
Andy

As I stated, I want to have them shipped to me, from an uncle in TN.
I hadn't planned on informing any shipper the contents of such packages.
I figured he could put "Tools" in item description, if required:s0092:

You probably need a lawyer to answer this.

A couple of factors here; you owned the firearms since before the law was passed, so in that way they are grandfathered in to you.

But they were not in your possession within the state when the law went into effect, and the law prohibits importation for any reason not connected to laws enforcement.

Which one of these factors trumps the other? I have no idea, but I am willing to bet if you get caught WA will be happy to try you in court to find out!

Safest way is probably to just take a road trip and pretend like they were in the state the whole time.
That is what I would do also. Either drive down and back or if time short fly down, rent a car and drive back. By far the best option. If any of the guns are "no longer allowed" in WA I would also make a point of NOT telling everyone I did this.

That is what I would do also. Either drive down and back or if time short fly down, rent a car and drive back. By far the best option. If any of the guns are "no longer allowed" in WA I would also make a point of NOT telling everyone I did this.
Well, I've clearly outlined I don't wanna go down that avenue, in the post to begin with. lol
They're all legal firearms in the state, atm anyway

Well, I've clearly outlined I don't wanna go down that avenue, in the post to begin with. lol
They're all legal firearms in the state, atm anyway
You have to remember that you are reading whats called a "thread". Not every answer is directed at just you. The info is bounced out to all reading this kind of thing.
For you? You have to do what you think best. It is legal to ship a gun to yourself. Now when people start getting into "gray area's" they are asking legal advice. Ask that on the net and you will get plenty of it. I have long warned those who do that if they take legal advice from others its their risk. If you end up in front of a black robe they will not care what you say someone "told you". So again for "you", you have to do what you wish. As for the "thread"? Its info bounced for other to read and decide what they want to do with it.

I appreciate all the replies & such. However, as stated in post. I'm trying to take the "By Mail" avenue & least cost incurred.
& by means of a legal standpoint.
Driving is def not on the table as it's over a grand in gas $ alone, 1 way & days driving. & a jacked up dysfunctional family.
My flying across both ocean's, Europe/Middle East days are well over & I've zero desire to step onto another plane, again
Especially with strange TSA folk wanting to search, probe, fiddle & fondle folk, & I just don't desire to crash in a plane. LoL

Last Edited:
If it's more than one firearm, I'd do a road trip brother. It'd most likely have to go through an FFL when shipped. I've never seen someone be able to ship a firearm from state to state without that. I could be mistaken, I've never done it.. but I'd assume the carriers shipping said firearm would not allow for a firearm to be shipped to a average citizens home.. because at that point they are allowing their services to cross state lines with a firearm and no proof it's actually yours.

And with WA law, I believe it's still "importing".. I don't think there is flex room there. Leave it to the anti gun loons to leave out grey areas within the law such as your situation. Because if it's yours, it should be YOURS despite them being out of state when the law passed. I think on paper, you'd still be considered as "importing" a restricted firearm (if it meets the category as such).. so if it's on the no-no list.. I don't think this is possible in WA going through an FFL.

I think if it's discovered that a firearm was shipped without notifying the carrier and the label was "tools" you may lose that firearm or it could be held up with red tape and you'd have to sort it out and possibly face legal issues.. I don't think that would be a wise decision.

Last Edited:
You have to remember that you are reading whats called a "thread". Not every answer is directed at just you. The info is bounced out to all reading this kind of thing.
For you? You have to do what you think best. It is legal to ship a gun to yourself. Now when people start getting into "gray area's" they are asking legal advice. Ask that on the net and you will get plenty of it. I have long warned those who do that if they take legal advice from others its their risk. If you end up in front of a black robe they will not care what you say someone "told you". So again for "you", you have to do what you wish. As for the "thread"? Its info bounced for other to read and decide what they want to do with it.
My bad, I misread my alert thinking it stated for me & not just general reply.

Since you specified LEGALLY; ATF requires that you notify the shipper that there is a gun in the package;
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-common-or-contract-carrier
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
In addition, federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm or ammunition, prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm and requires obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a)(5), 922(e) and (f); 27 CFR 478.30 and 478.31]

Doesn't sound like you can do it as part of your move either, LEGALLY;
https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0813-firearms-top-12-qaspdf/download
5. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be
addressed to the owner of the firearm "in the care of" the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner of the firearm must not open the package or take possession of the firearm. The out-of-State resident is encouraged to place the package in a safe and secure location until the owner of the firearm is available to take physical possession.

And since your uncle isn't the owner and isn't shipping them to himself, he can't do it either, LEGALLY.

1707506846626.png 1707506847008.png 1707506846862.png 1707506846704.png 1707506846794.png 1707506846931.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top