JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Personally I think that SB501 is a smoke screen for all of the other anti freedom bills that have been introduced.
May very well be but the efforts necessary to defeat any anti-gun legislation coming out of Salem will be much the same. It will require a simple majority in State House or Senate to stop a bill. Assuming 100% support from Republicans (not assured) that means 4 Democrat Senators would have to join all 12 Republicans to stop a bill. That seems possible.

In the House 10 Representatives would have to join all 22 Republicans to stop a bill. That sounds like a very unlikely outcome.

This morning I will start a new thread with a list of the Top 6 Senators who won their seats by the lowest margins. I would suggest these Senators should be the highest priority in a heavy and sustained campaign to get them to vote against the nastiest of the anti-gun legislation this year and next year.

Remember, a quorum is required to take a vote. Deny the dems a quorum when these anti-Constitutional and anti civil rights bills come up for a vote...

Nice idea, but not likely to happen:
Definition of quorum - Oregon Legal Glossary

"The number of members required to be present before business can be transacted in the House, Senate, or a committee. In the House, 40 members must be present; in the Senate, 20 members; and in committees a constitutional majority constitutes a quorum. (NOTE: according to House and Senate Rules, if a quorum is not present, the chair can convene the committee as a subcommittee for the purposes of taking testimony ONLY.)"

If only two Republicans in the Senate, or two in the House don't go along and refuse to walk out en masse then there is a quorum. Ever hear of herding cats?

Senate: 12 R / 18 D
House: 22R / 38 D

Nice idea, but not likely to happen:
Definition of quorum - Oregon Legal Glossary

"The number of members required to be present before business can be transacted in the House, Senate, or a committee. In the House, 40 members must be present; in the Senate, 20 members; and in committees a constitutional majority constitutes a quorum. (NOTE: according to House and Senate Rules, if a quorum is not present, the chair can convene the committee as a subcommittee for the purposes of taking testimony ONLY.)"

If only two Republicans in the Senate, or two in the House don't go along and refuse to walk out en masse then there is a quorum. Ever hear of herding cats?

Senate: 12 R / 18 D
House: 22R / 38 D
I understand, and republican unity is something that's seriously lacking, but it's worth a shot to be in regular positive communication with the republican minority. Who knows, maybe they band together on behalf of the constitution and Bill of Rights... In this, I have to be optimistic, lest all hope is lost :(

May very well be but the efforts necessary to defeat any anti-gun legislation coming out of Salem will be much the same. It will require a simple majority in State House or Senate to stop a bill. Assuming 100% support from Republicans (not assured) that means 4 Democrat Senators would have to join all 12 Republicans to stop a bill. That seems possible.

In the House 10 Representatives would have to join all 22 Republicans to stop a bill. That sounds like a very unlikely outcome.

This morning I will start a new thread with a list of the Top 6 Senators who won their seats by the lowest margins. I would suggest these Senators should be the highest priority in a heavy and sustained campaign to get them to vote against the nastiest of the anti-gun legislation this year and next year.

What actually needs to happen is the Republicans need to deny the Dems a quorum. They actually have enough in both the house and the senate to do that.

Do you have good link explaining how that process would go down?

If all the Republican Senators in the case of the Senate, or all the Represenatives in the case of the House, do not show up for votes on this, they cannot have a vote. Yes, the Democrats have a supermajority, they do not have the 20 senators or 40 representatives. Without having that, there can be no votes in either the Senate or the House, here's more info.

If all the Republican Senators in the case of the Senate, or all the Represenatives in the case of the House, do not show up for votes on this, they cannot have a vote. Yes, the Democrats have a supermajority, they do not have the 20 senators or 40 representatives. Without having that, there can be no votes in either the Senate or the House, here's more info.
Very interesting. I seem to recall something similar happening in Wisconsin. If there was ever a situation that would warrant this tactic it would be this massive assault on our constitutional rights.

Do you know if the Governor or the Majority can compel them (by arrest, etc) to return if they fail to show up for voting?

I would worry that a few rhino types might not join the refusal to attend.

Seems like a good last ditch effort though.

Did anybody notice that prices on online ammo regs have gone up, and insurance companies are making it so local gun stores can't carry reloading components?

I'm wondering if it's just my neck of the woods or if this is some sort of concerted effort to make reloading difficult as well.

Do you know if the Governor or the Majority can compel them (by arrest, etc) to return if they fail to show up for voting?

I would worry that a few rhino types might not join the refusal to attend.

From what I have read of the past years rules, I didn't see anything that could compel the majority to show up.

On your second point, that is the worry, due to the senate being 18D's to 12R's and the house being 38D's to 22R's, if there is more than one rino that shows up, they have a quorum.

Know your enemies. Recently posted YouTube vids with kids and politicians behind SB 501

Dick Hughes

4 teenage dictators in the making. But hey, they have provisions in the bill so you can have enough ammo to "setup your gun" at the range. 24 guns in a year is enough, it is "reasonable" says the 16 (?) year old girl. And in 5 years they'll make it 12. Then 6. Then 1. Then none.

"A year from now, ten, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running; I aim to misbehave." - Malcolm Reynolds

4 teenage dictators in the making. But hey, they have provisions in the bill so you can have enough ammo to "setup your gun" at the range. 24 guns in a year is enough, it is "reasonable" says the 16 (?) year old girl. And in 5 years they'll make it 12. Then 6. Then 1. Then none.[/MEDIA]

Why are grown arse adults humoring a bunch of idiot kids? How about somebody cap their data usage and put limits on bedtime. That sounds "reasonable" to me.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top