JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does 10 day delay apply to purchases of firearms outside of WA by WA residents?
I have no idea, what I do know is that in WA I have never received a semi auto in under twelve days, and as long as seventeen. Kind of gets old hearing about this "New law requires a background check" and "Ten day waiting period" Like this is something new and will keep criminals from criminaling.

Not so. Back in the 50s there were mental hospitals for people who were unable to cope with ordinary life. At some point the hospitals were nearly all closed and the patients just dumped out on the street. Some were mentally defective. Others were addicts of various sorts.

There wasn't much welfare before LBJ's new society. Most babys were born in wedlock. Black kids born out of wedlock were only about 30% for example. After New Society mothers could get more from welfare than many lower class men could earn. Even in Oregon today, I personally know of two different couples who wanted to get married but did not because, while both parents worked full time, neither had health insurance. And in OR if its a married couple the mother and baby aren't eligible for health insurance.

There did not used to be homeless camps all over. At most there would be occasional panhandlers or drunks in big cities. The mentally defective and addicts were in mental hospitals and everyone else had jobs. Or at least did odd jobs. Nobody shat in public. You couldn't sleep on park benches let alone put a tent up on a public sidewalk.

The "unsolveable" problems we have in our cities now are anything but. They are a result of bad laws and failure to enforce what laws there are.
I'll see you and raise you one Hooverville. Utterly devoid of context your logic is sound, Otherwise, let me know when you figure out how to solve human laziness, stupidity, and utterly unresolvable mental health issues, in a way that most are willing to pay more taxes for.

I'll see you and raise you one Hooverville. Utterly devoid of context your logic is sound, Otherwise, let me know when you figure out how to solve human laziness, stupidity, and utterly unresolvable mental health issues, in a way that most are willing to pay more taxes for.
Solve lazy? That part would be SUPER simple. You can work and choose not too? You don't eat. Sadly of course that's not going to happen any more but simple to do.
The truly mental "damaged" we would be FAR cheaper keeping locked up in a safe place where they could not harm others or themselves but, sadly people have spend decades lying to voters about that so again simple solution that is not going to happen.
The "street people" who prefer drugs to a place to live? Same thing. Make it so they are not allowed to build a camp and they would not be there. MANY places do not have drug addicts living on the sidewalk because they just do not allow it. Sadly too many people just don't have the stomach to do what would work. So what they do instead is throw HUGE piles of money at the problem that 90% of goes right in someone's pocket who then supports the law makers who are throwing money at them. :s0092:

Seems like something I heard from my AF officer dad. His specialty was manpower and organization.

If a guy is brilliant and lazy, he'll make a good commanding officer. He'll figure out how to get the job done with the least resources and effort. If a guy is brilliant and energetic he'll make a good staff officer. He will thoroughly round up all the info the CO needs to make the decision. Left to his own devices he tends to do or cause others to do unnecessary stuff. But as a source of ideas and info for the CO he's great. If a guy is stupid and lazy he can get enough done to be useful in an organization given appropriate supervision. If a guy is stupid and energetic get rid of that SOB. He'll destroy every organization he is part of. And in combat he gets his own people killed.

Last Edited:
Nowadays we have Safe Rest Villages, paid for by our taxes. I'm not certain its solving the homeless problem It seems like its encouraging the problem as it gets larger.
Solve lazy? That part would be SUPER simple. You can work and choose not too? You don't eat. Sadly of course that's not going to happen any more but simple to do.
I wonder what the percentage of the homeless community can work but chooses not to?

I am reminded of something a smart man said long ago. Take your worst job, put your most lazy employee in charge. He will find the fastest and easiest way to get the job done. :D
A students make good workers, they do what they are told. C students are more entrepreneurial in nature. They pass the class with significantly less effort. End result of graduation, or passing the class, is the same.

But there's a big difference between efficient minded people and lazy. Lazy simply won't do work, while efficient minded will question stupid processes and do them in ways that save time/effort.

I encountered that in the workplace quite a bit. "Because that's just how we do it" was never a good enough answer for me. The "why" was needed, I often found that for many employees, they never questioned it, and consequently a lot of opportunities for saving/time effort never came up until I was unwilling to accept the status quo.

The truly mental "damaged" we would be FAR cheaper keeping locked up in a safe place where they could not harm others or themselves but, sadly people have spend decades lying to voters about that so again simple solution that is not going to happen.
The "street people" who prefer drugs to a place to live? Same thing. Make it so they are not allowed to build a camp and they would not be there. MANY places do not have drug addicts living on the sidewalk because they just do not allow it. Sadly too many people just don't have the stomach to do what would work. So what they do instead is throw HUGE piles of money at the problem that 90% of goes right in someone's pocket who then supports the law makers who are throwing money at them. :s0092:
According to US army IQ testing and rules, anyone with an IQ below 83 cannot be in the military. There is no job they can do where they are an asset rather than a liability. That includes even stuff like working in the kitchen or janitorial duties. Basically they require a full time able-minded babysitter to keep disaster from happening, even far from combat. In combat they don't live long and they get their buddies killed. Even with a "minder.". Most are incapable of learning to read well enough to take written instructions.

Here's the horrible thing. About 15% of the population is at or below an IQ of 83. In ordinary life there is no job they can do without so much supervision that they are mostly not a net positive value even as volunteers. Many elderly people suffering from dementia at some point become unsafe to have around because they can't reliably work a stove without starting fires. In between low IQ people and elderly people with dementia, we probably have 20% of the adult population that need to be under full time supervision for mental reasons. And that's before you add in alcoholics and people addicted to various drugs. People with schizophrenia. Etc.

Once when I was in my early 30s, about early 1980s, a guy was removed from a halfway house, and a social worker got him the apartment below mine in a 4-plex. (He had SS disability, but without the help of the social worker its unlikely a landlord would have rented to him.) Nobody told any of the other residents anything. After a while I started having headaches. Unusual. On the third day of headaches my dog, A Chow/Spitz hybrid, started sniffing at the crack under door, putting her ears sideways, looking at me. Okay. She thinks there's some sort of problem. I let her out and followed her to the door of the apartment under mine, where she sniffed under door. So I sniffed under door. Gas. That is, the odor of that garlicky additive they add to gas so people can smell a leak. I was a friend of owners and had a key to everything in case of emergencies. Renter wasn't home. I turned off the gas to the heater pilot light, which had gone out. Did not relight; might have blown the place up without airing out first. Renter was just gone. Had been gone a whike. Apartment was cold.

Owner and social worker sorted it out. Power had gone off transiently, and heater pilot lightS blew out. The other residents had simply relit their pilot lights using a match. The mentally challenged guy had put a handkerchief over his mouth and nose and sat in the apartment for the first day while the apartment got colder and the gas concentration built up. Just sat there. Didn't go ask someone for help or call his social worker. Finally when he couldn't stand it any more he just left. Didn't go to social worker, though she was able to find him once she knew he had abandoned apartment. Social worker came and talked to us other residents. Why had we not been keeping an eye on the guy, she asked. Because we didn't know about him. And even if we did, we all were going to school or had jobs. If he needed to have someone keep an eye on him he needed to be in a halfway house, where someone would be paid full time to monitor a few residents who were not aggressive and could mostly tend themselves, but not reliably enough to be safe on their own. She was out of line, we said, just dumping him in an apartment and expecting the neighbors to tend him. None of us was even around during the day.

I think once upon a time, in an era of extended families with multiple adults and older children, the mentally deficient person just stayed home and was tended there. After the industrial revolution in USA, most good jobs require moving periidically, which has destroyed extended families for most Americans. My dad, who grew up on a farm, had six other brothers and sisters. The farm also had two field hands who bunked in the barn and worked for just room and board (for "found"). And there were grandparents and cousins nearby. Lots of people who could help when a mother gave birth, or someone was sick or injured. Or someone wasn't able to care for themselves for whatever reason.

A students make good workers, they do what they are told. C students are more entrepreneurial in nature. They pass the class with significantly less effort. End result of graduation, or passing the class, is the same.

But there's a big difference between efficient minded people and lazy. Lazy simply won't do work, while efficient minded will question stupid processes and do them in ways that save time/effort.

I encountered that in the workplace quite a bit. "Because that's just how we do it" was never a good enough answer for me. The "why" was needed, I often found that for many employees, they never questioned it, and consequently a lot of opportunities for saving/time effort never came up until I was unwilling to accept the status quo.
Every large Co and a few small ones I have had interactions with this is common. Do something in some really stupid manor and reason? This is how we always did it. :s0092:
This ALWAYS comes down to someone in charge who is a moron but, they are in charge. There is an old wise saying. To be the boss you don't have to be right, because even when you're wrong you're still the boss. :D

Nonsense! An A student has mastered all or nearly all the material. Depending on the course the C student has learned maybe 40% to 70% of the material. A college transcript with an A average from a decent college will normally qualify you to get a job in your field. At least if its a field that has jobs. A college transcript with a C average and you are qualified to brag about your college degree while being a barista at Starbucks. Yes, you can get a degree with a C average. What your degree means to med schools, law schools, grad schools, or prospective employers is that you were exposed to quite a lot of material, but learned very little of it.

A is the lowest passing grade for many purposes. It denotes not just mastery of the presented material but also an ability and inclination to be thorough and a high probability you will be thorough in the future. Would you want the surgeon operating on your brain to have made C in his brain surgery course? No. And med schools tend to accept only students whose undergrad transcripts are all As or pretty close to it. If I'm hiring someone to help me in the plant breeding field I'd rather have someone with no experience than someone with a C average in plant science, plant breeding and genetics, or horticulture.

An A or near A average usually means you can at least get to class/work every day on time and sober, and are self disciplined enough to apply yourself and finish stuff. And that you are willing to jump through necessary hoops, some of which are irritating and make no sense. But the student who can't deal with the hoops and unfun scut work is probably going to finish or succeed at little, because every real world project or job has unfun parts and ridiculous hoops that you have to jump through as much or more so than school classes. (Flashbacks to hand washing radioactive glassware. About as much fun as washing the dinner dishes but radioactive. And writing my first NSF grant and having to in person carry it around to get sigs from my dept head, dean, and three other administrative types. Then print 20 copies of entire grant and send them all to NSF. And multiple copies for myself, the dept head, the dean, etc. No, not mail one copy to NSF and they print the 20 copies they need for reviewers. Instead print 20 copies and send them all to the relevant person at NSF. And if you fail to get any of those technicalities correct they just reject the grant without review and you are outta luck till the next cycle.)

As for your somewhat sneering "A students make good workers, they do what they are told." -- We call it taking directions. Its essential. If you are a new worker and the job is the slightest bit sophisticated, if you dont do what you are told you are at least likely to screw up so much more than you accomplish that you are a huge liability. At worst you are a safety hazard and can get yourself or others maimed or killed or contaminated with radioactive or poisonous chemicals. And to tell you the whys of everything would take days. And we don't even know if you are going to show up or show up sober tomorrow. Most employers will give a new hire only carefully chosen projects that are harder to screw up than most and have only limited stuff that needs to be explained. Then I will come back and check and make sure you are doing it exactly as I said and have not invented some new way you have switched to that you think is better, but isnt. I explain why your new idea you think is brilliant screws things up. For example, yes its faster at this stage but makes the next stage much slower or even impossible.

C students do not necessarily make better entrepreneurs. Most of the time they are just less bright, less hard working, less well prepared for the class, or have one or more problems ranging from dyslexia to drug or alcohol problems. However, highly creative people make better entrepreneurs. And can be very frustrated working for anyone else. Intelligence correlates pretty well with grades, but creativity doesn't . A very bright guy with dyslexia but also much creativity can be a C student who drops out and starts a business and becomes a huge success.

Last Edited:
Nonsense! An A student has mastered all or nearly all the material. Depending on the course the C student has learned maybe 40% to 70% of the material. A college transcript with an A average from a decent college will normally qualify you to get a job in your field. At least if its a field that has jobs. A college transcript with a C average and you are qualified to brag about your college degree while being a barista at Starbucks. Yes, you can get a degree with a C average. What your degree means to med schools, law schools, grad schools, or prospective employers is that you were exposed to quite a lot of material, but learned very little of it.

A is the lowest passing grade for many purposes. It denotes not just mastery of the presented material but also an ability and inclination to be thorough and a high probability you will be thorough in the future. Would you want the surgeon operating on your brain to have made C in his brain surgery course? No. And med schools tend to accept only students whose undergrad transcripts are all As or pretty close to it. If I'm hiring someone to help me in the plant breeding field I'd rather have someone with no experience than someone with a C average in plant science, plant breeding and genetics, or horticulture.

An A or near A average usually means you can at least get to class/work every day on time and sober, and are self disciplined enough to apply yourself and finish stuff. And that you are willing to jump through necessary hoops, some of which are irritating and make no sense. But the student who can't deal with the hoops and unfun scut work is probably going to finish or succeed at little, because every real world project or job has unfun parts and ridiculous hoops that you have to jump through as much or more so than school classes. (Flashbacks to hand washing radioactive glassware. About as much fun as washing the dinner dishes but radioactive. And writing my first NSF grant and having to in person carry it around to get sigs from my dept head, dean, and three other administrative types. Then print 20 copies of entire grant and send them all to NSF. And multiple copies for myself, the dept head, the dean, etc. No, not mail one copy to NSF and they print the 20 copies they need for reviewers. Instead print 20 copies and send them all to the relevant person at NSF. And if you fail to get any of those technicalities correct they just reject the grant without review and you are outta luck till the next cycle.)

As for your somewhat sneering "A students make good workers, they do what they are told." -- We call it taking directions. Its essential. If you are a new worker and the job is the slightest bit sophisticated, if you dont do what you are told you are at least likely to screw up so much more than you accomplish that you are a huge liability. At worst you are a safety hazard and can get yourself or others maimed or killed or contaminated with radioactive or poisonous chemicals. And to tell you the whys of everything would take days. And we don't even know if you are going to show up or show up sober tomorrow. Most employers will give a new hire only carefully chosen projects that are harder to screw up than most and have only limited stuff that needs to be explained. Then I will come back and check and make sure you are doing it exactly as I said and have not invented some new way you have switched to that you think is better, but isnt. I explain why your new idea you think is brilliant screws things up. For example, yes its faster at this stage but makes the next stage much slower or even impossible.

C students do not necessarily make better entrepreneurs. Most of the time they are just less bright, less hard working, less well prepared for the class, or have one or more problems ranging from dyslexia to drug or alcohol problems. However, highly creative people make better entrepreneurs. And can be very frustrated working for anyone else. Intelligence correlates pretty well with grades, but creativity doesn't . A very bright guy with dyslexia but also much creativity can be a C student who drops out and starts a business and becomes a huge success.
Been a good while since I was last in college but, both times I saw the same thing. Students who kept a 2.0 (C) were normally only doing the min they had to do to keep their funding coming. They were getting nothing from the classes. They were sure having fun spending that money from the student loans though. When I was last in I was Honor Roll, Deans list. At graduation Wife asked me what the yellow sash and braided cords some had on were. I told her and she asked why I did not have them since I had earned them? Told her they wanted more money from me to buy them and I thought it was a waste for something that would gather dust. Had the paper to show what I did. Those C students are the ones now who can't pay their student loans and now want me to pay theirs, after I paid mine back. 🤬

Seems like something I heard from my AF officer dad. His specialty was manpower and organization.

If a guy is brilliant and lazy, he'll make a good commanding officer. He'll figure out how to get the job done with the least resources and effort. If a guy is brilliant and energetic he'll make a good staff officer. He will thoroughly round up all the info the CO needs to make the decision. Left to his own devices he tends to do or cause others to do unnecessary stuff. But as a source of ideas and info for the CO he's great. If a guy is stupid and lazy he can get enough done to be useful in an organization given appropriate supervision. If a guy is stupid and energetic get rid of that SOB. He'll destroy every organization he is part of. And in combat he gets his own people killed.
Sounds like both my grandfather the retired Master Sarge AND my prof/"surrogate dad" the retired LTC...

Sounds like both my grandfather the retired Master Sarge AND my prof/"surrogate dad" the retired LTC...
I think that overview was much repeated military wisdom. My dad told it to me when I was in fourth or fifth grade. About 1956. Interesting and funny that neither intelligence or being hard working is always a virtue. Useful after I grew up and had to hire and supervise people myself.

Another thing was how to get rid of incompetent team members. What the officers training courses say vs the reality. The reality was there actually wasn't any way to get rid of a lazy or incompetent staff member other than promoting them out of your org to something that sounded more important but would at least not get people killed.

Last Edited:

Your list of reasons supporting your viewpoint sure does an extreme amount of assuming.

I could pull this apart paragraph by paragraph, but why... A 5 minute search on the internet will give you plenty to read through to better understand why the difference between A and C students isn't what you believe it to be.

You'll find your assessment of A students vs C students doesn't match the reality of the situation. Don't take my word for it though. Read the statements of all the people who have already written or spoken about it.

Grades matter in academia, the real world isn't the same as academia, and even most of what is taught in academia isn't directly applicable to the real world, it serves primarily as a hoop to jump through to achieve a degree, which now is less meaningful than it used to be anyway.

Happy reading!

Another thing was how to get rid of incompetent team members. What the officers training courses say vs the reality. The reality was there actually wasn't any way to get rid of a lazy or incompetent staff member other than promoting them out of your org to something that sounded more important but would at least not get people killed.
AKA, the "Peter Principle." My prof would ONLY use superlatives to describe people/things because, as he explained it, "in AF terms anything less is scathing condemnation."

Last Edited:
Your list of reasons supporting your viewpoint sure does an extreme amount of assuming.

I could pull this apart paragraph by paragraph, but why... A 5 minute search on the internet will give you plenty to read through to better understand why the difference between A and C students isn't what you believe it to be.

You'll find your assessment of A students vs C students doesn't match the reality of the situation. Don't take my word for it though. Read the statements of all the people who have already written or spoken about it.

Grades matter in academia, the real world isn't the same as academia, and even most of what is taught in academia isn't directly applicable to the real world, it serves primarily as a hoop to jump through to achieve a degree, which now is less meaningful than it used to be anyway.

Happy reading!
I've have a BS from University of Florida and also taught genetics there. And a PhD in Bio from Harvard. And taught genetics and cell bio there. And was on the faculty at U of MN, and taught Genetics, Cell Bio and graduate courses there. And served on the admissions committee to grad school in those two programs. And served as a grant reviewer for NSF. And in that era wrote countless letters of rec for students applying to med school, wanting to be doctors, which is a real job. And these days, in spite of having been out of academia for decades, I still often find myself writing letters for people applying for jobs in companies involved in horticulture .

There is nothing like teaching premed students for 15 years in three major universities to teach you the difference between an A and a C. And if you regularly write the letter that gets the guy or gal the job you probably don't need advice about what to read on the subject from someone who has apparently only read about it. I know enough about what gets people to the next stage in their careers that my letters or phone calls have sometimes achieved the epic. However, part of that is being good at choosing outstanding people to hire or work with and encourage in the first place. And knowing them well enough so I can make their virtues and personalities spring from the page. Which also involves writing better than most people writing recs do. The best jobs and professional schools usually attract multiple candidates with nearly straight A averages. So what else you have matters. The more flexible are even willing to overlook some Cs if they aren't in your major or in all the hard courses. Nobody is fooled or impressed by or wants to hire the guy who has straight As because he took only easy courses and also never ventured outside the norm and dared to explore. Not all As are created equal. Neither care all Cs.

If you major in stem fields what you study is usually directly relevant to the job you get, by the way. At least if its a field that has jobs. As for subjects like English or History -- there never have been many jobs in those fields.

I agree that for many jobs getting a college degree at all is not very relevant. And with the internet, you can learn a lot more by yourself than formerly. In addition, tuition has skyrocketed and become outrageous. I don't think its a good thing to take out loans to go to college. And with universities going woke and having entire departments that are all about pushing a radical woke and very non objective agenda, universities are losing credibility. Can't say I'm too happy with Harvard. The Harvard Corporation hired a black female president, Claudine Gay, who was quite clearly hired just for being a black woman, not for her scholarship or accomplishments. Came out looking like an antisemitic idiot in testifying before congress a couple weeks ago. And turned out she plagiarized her way through everything she ever wrote starting with her PhD thesis. Wouldn't advise anyone to go there until she gets fired. Sigh.

As and Cs dont mean quite what they used to. There has been massive grade inflation. Some universities, the average grade is A. When everyone gets As then what else you did matters more. These days I don't advise people who are interested in plant breeding to go to uni at all unless they they want to be academics. And these days, universities are increasingly toxic places. You can learn plant breeding in books and on the internet. And start doing it yourself with nothing more than a farm or garden or collaborative arrangement with a farmer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top