JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Salad spinner and Veg-Wash on order!

I was only used to being poisoned by restaurants up to this point. Red Lobster, mostly.

No Hep A symptoms BTW.

Symptoms include:

Dark urine

Fatigue

Itching

Loss of appetite

Low-grade fever

Nausea and vomiting

Pale or clay-colored stools

Yellow skin (jaundice)

For those in the Eugene area, U cant beat climbing Spencers' Butte... I try to get to the top at least 5 times a week. A good compliment/contrast to lifting ( got my bench back to 300+ woohoo!)... but am concentrating more on higher reps with lighter weights to build endurance, like a mere 135 lbs but doing several sets of 30 reps. If I can get my bodyweight down to 200 I'll start carrying a pack up Spencers to require more horsepower out of my old cadavar LOL.

I'm doing 24 hour fitness at least 2 days a week. Weights and the stairmaster. Weekends are always very active trying to still get outside. Sometimes hiking more than 3000 feet vertical elevation gain. I hurt my shoulder (again) during a climbing trip to Yosemite last month, but was happy that I was able to keep up my my buddy on the 2nd day where we rockclimbed over 3000 vertical feet of moderate stuff (up to 5.10A) car to car in @ 11 hours. Buddy is 20 years younger - works physical construction job AND THEN supplements that brutal work with daily workouts of mma, running or swimming.

Regular doctor suggested cortizone shot into the shoulder, but I passed and am getting Chiropractor and massage. Then stretching and icing. It's gonna be a long haul. Blood pressure last check was 121/71 at 57 years I can't complain although not being able to climb is tougher than I expected. Hard to stop doing something you love doing and have done for 40 years.

I'm struggling a bit with shoulder issues as well... sure can be tough to heal up, and can be a major setback for climbers and, in my case, people need strong shoulders for a living..

I am 6'3" and a couple years ago I was approaching 225lbs because of no exercise and poor diet. I decided to do something about it and just started eating better. I got down to 200 just by eating less (not healthier, per se). Earlier this year I decided to train for Tough Mudder at the end of September. I now eat 75% vegetarian and run 6-10 miles per day. I am at about 185lbs right now.

Best advice I can give to someone starting out running is to pick a distance (2 miles is good) and do it every day. Don't give a dang how fast you do it, or how much of it you walk. Day after day you'll be able to start run more and more of that same distance, until you can finally run the whole thing. Also, I don't like running with other people, at least not to begin with, because they will likely be better runners than you and make you feel like giving up because they are so much faster.

I was free soloing Beacon Rock everyday, anywhere from five to eight laps per day = 600 - 750 ft of technical climbing and about 1 mile of running per lap. Wish I could get back to that, but time won't allow (and I am nowhere near the climber I once was = I am getting old). Now I just work with concrete and heavy lumber all day, plus 100 minimum of push ups and a dozen or two pull ups on the finger board. Would like to get back to climbing on the weekends.

I remember when I was a kid - sodas were a "treat"- over time what was a treat became a "staple" and a few years ago it was up to a 64 oz or two. Since moving up north and not having a 7-11 or 3 within 5 minutes of the house I was drinking 1 or 2 24 oz sodas a day - down from before but still a soda junkie. I finally cut out soda about 4 months ago - not completely but less than one a week now. I dropped about 35 pounds just from this one change. I live on 10 acres and just doing yard work tends to keep me busy though I do need to work on improving my cardio - I can walk all day but running a mile and a half would probably kill me still. Another bonus to cutting out soda is no longer needing to be on a PPI acid inhibitor. Save money on soda, save money on meds. In the past my attempts at improving my cardio was stifled by allergies - fortunately that doesn't seem to be even half as bad up here so hopefully things will work better for me.

I was free soloing Beacon Rock everyday, anywhere from five to eight laps per day = 600 - 750 ft of technical climbing and about 1 mile of running per lap. Wish I could get back to that, but time won't allow (and I am nowhere near the climber I once was = I am getting old). Now I just work with concrete and heavy lumber all day, plus 100 minimum of push ups and a dozen or two pull ups on the finger board. Would like to get back to climbing on the weekends.

Which line? You must have lived right next to it, or didn't work..

On SE Corner, I've completely run-out pitches 1 and above 2, but that flake bit at the start of pitch 2 makes me nervous- some of those holds move. I alpine solo frequently, but I haven't soloed anything higher than 5.6 on dry rock yet.

I climbed the corner a lot along with Little Wing, Right Gull and all of it's many variations including Sundance, Young Warriors, Cruisin', and once I did Jill's Thrill. All of these I had done roped many times before I went solo. I know exactly the flake that you refer to. I don't know what it's like these days, but 10 years ago it was pretty solid, the slab above is just plain cool. You correct, I lived (still do) in Portland, and due to the kindness of my girlfriend I didn't work for a couple of years. Just climbed. Never did any mountaineering or alpine though, just cragging and big wall stuff. I don't recommend free soloing anymore, I almost ate it a couple of times.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top