JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Screw the tactical ted crap, do it old school: your favorite wheelgun maker combined with your favorite lever gun maker. .45 Colt seem the obvious choice, but I'm more a .44 Mag person.

The only longgun/handgun package that would share any parts other than mags that I know of is the Rossi revolving rifle, which was made from a Taurus revolver. I don't know if they are still made.

I'm not sure why parts interchangability would even be a requirement. If I can stock a spare Grock extractor, I can spend the extra 5 bucks to stock a PCC extractor. Seems to be a debilitating requirement.
This last paragraph is worth repeating! In this day and age, spare parts for just about any modern production firearm are fairly cheap and easy to locate. I wouldn't mess around trying to have a rifle and handgun that literally share the same parts!

I have spare parts kits for all of my firearms (with multiple spares in some instances) and I doubt it has cost me even a fraction of a percent of the firearms themselves in the long run!

This last paragraph is worth repeating! In this day and age, spare parts for just about any modern production firearm are fairly cheap and easy to locate. I wouldn't mess around trying to have a rifle and handgun that literally share the same parts!

I have spare parts kits for all of my firearms (with multiple spares in some instances) and I doubt it has cost me even a fraction of a percent of the firearms themselves in the long run!
That's if you see the firearm actually failing. Most here likely have 500-1000 rounds, if that, through most of their guns. Most of those guns are not the type that fail. Some here have 10s if not 100s of thousands through their firearms. Id give you one guess to which of these two types of people have spare parts, it's likely not the one you think.

One specific spare part you need to have on hand if you have a Model 12 Winchester shotgun is the ejector. When I was a kid, it seemed like every duck hunter in these parts used a Model 12. I heard of multiple instances where the ejector failed, including the ones in my father's and grandfather's guns. They have a flat spring that pushes the ejector out to catch the cartridge rim. The spring breaks.

Of course, most of these guns were 30-50 years old at the time.

If the idea is to be able to arm friends/family in the event of a crisis scenario, I say ignore the idea of a handgun entirely. All things being equal, people are going to develop proficiency with a rifle much more quickly than with a handgun. A rifle is also going to be more terminally effective and capable of more precision.
I agree - to a point. I would still get/give them a handgun so they have something to walk around with. If SHTF and people bug out, there will be times when they set their log gun down so they can use both hands for some task. It is very likely that there will be more times when that is true than when it isn't. But having a sidearm handy and almost always on their person may save their life while they return fire and go for their rifle, or at least give others a warning when they hear the shots.

I am not a big fan of PCCs, I only have a few - albeit one is our primary.

I think everybody having a compact & light AR in 5.56 and a Glock 9mm (or equivalent) is going to work for most people in most situations.

So the plan is to replace extractors or other broken parts during a firefight with "knuckleheads"?

Just making sure I got the facts right before I respond with any useful advise on the subject......

First off I'm not arming my neighbors or family. My neighbors have their own firearms or have no training so don't need my guns. My family is scattered with the closest being a son an hour away. He's got about as many guns as I do. That being said, to respond to your scenario, I'd go with "lego" guns like Glocks and AR's. Me, if things get that bad and I break, wear out or run out of ammo for one gun I'll just grab another and start all over again.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top